Windows 10 Edge as Default App to Open a File?

hawkeye62

Extraordinary Member
Is there away to select Edge as the program to open a file? I have a few .SWF game files on my laptop. If I open Edge, and insert the path to the .SWF file, Edge opens the file and I can play the game. But, I can find no way to select Edge as the default app to open the .SWF file.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards, Jim

Edge can't technically open them. Ultimately its the shockwave player that is opening them.

Edge can't technically open them. Ultimately its the shockwave player that is opening them.

Yeah, I have "Use Adobe Flash" toggled on in Edge settings. And if I set the path to the swf file in Edge, the file plays. BUT, I can find no way to set "Open With" to Edge for the swf file.

Regards, Jim

Common! Edge DOES open swf files! Or links to Adobe Flash to open them. READ my message again.

Please quit telling me stuff that it just not correct.

End of rant.

Regards, Jim

Actually I am correct. The shockwave player is what opens them. Edge simply launches the player

Actually I am correct. The shockwave player is what opens them. Edge simply launches the player

If I type "file:///C:/Games/name.swf" in the Edge url address line, the "name.swf" file opens in an Edge window. It doesn't matter to me if shockwave player is involved.

If I double click on the "name.swf" shortcut on the desktop, the swf file opens in an IE window. I just want to change the property of the "name.swf" shortcut to open with Edge. But, I have no idea where the Edge executable is located.

Regards, Jim

It's located "C:\windows\systemapps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe"

It's located "C:\windows\systemapps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe"

Yeah, I just found that location in ussnorway's earlier post. And I can change the default program for the swf file to Edge. But Edge won't open the file. Doesn't make sense since Edge can open the file if I specify the path to the file in the edge url window.

Regards, Jim

Back