Windows 10 Ethernet only works after reboot (every other time)

olat

Hello!

I was having some trouble with my built-in NIC where internet would disconnect randomly, so I went and purchased a dedicated network card.

This card does not have the same issue, my connection is stable and does not drop, but it does not work at all the first time I turn on my PC. In other words, whenever I turn on my PC I have to reboot it to get the network card to show up and internet to work.
If I do not do that, my network card does not show up in the Device Manager at all.

I'm using my wired connection.
My Windows 10 Version is: 10.0.19042 Build 19042
My network card is: Gigabit NIC-GX1

I tried the following things without success:
  • Reinstalled the driver for my card several times clean (removed cable, uninstalled driver and device in Safe Mode, installed driver again) both by letting Windows install automatically and using the official driver from the manufacturer's website;
  • Tried another PCI port on my motherboard, though it did not make much sense in the first place since whenever I reboot, my internet connection stays for good;
  • Went back to the store and replaced the network card for a new one, just in case something was wrong with the first one, but again, I'm guessing it would cause issues all the time, not just on first boot;
  • Tried using Windows Troubleshooting. This one failed immediately with errors showing up (screenshots attached below);
  • Tried ipconfig /release and /renew in elevated CMD (screenshots attached below);
  • Used the Windows 10 built in feature "Network Reset";
  • Disabled "Green Ethernet", "Auto Disable Gigabit", "Power Saving Mode", "Wake on magic packet when system..." in the Advanced Properties section in the device manager for this device.
  • Unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under power management for my network card;
  • Disable the onboard lan in BIOS. Toggling it makes no difference for the issue;
When I first boot my PC, the network card does not show up in the device manager at all and the internet icon shows a little globe with a small sign in the right lower corner:
Screenshot
Screenshot

Windows Troubleshooting comes back with these messages:
Screenshot
Screenshot
Screenshot
Screenshot
Screenshot

When I tried the CMD commands, this is what I got: Screenshot

Also, if I try to scan for new devices of reinstall the driver from the manufacturers website, it just does not find the device at all, so rebooting is the only fix I've found so far.

After I reboot, I get internet connection right from the start, no issues, error messages, nothing in the event viewer or the reliability monitor.

The device appears under device manager, and ipconfig /all shows data as expected:
Screenshot
Screenshot

Please let me know if you have any advice on what to try, or if you had a similar issue before and how you got it fixed.

Thank you!

Last edited:
  • Reinstalled the driver for my card several times clean (removed cable, uninstalled driver and device in Safe Mode, installed driver again) both by letting Windows install automatically and using the official driver from the manufacturer's website;
For what is is worth but according to this manual you should not install automatically, but select a driver?

For what is is worth but according to this manual you should not install automatically, but select a driver?
Hello! Thanks for replying!

I've also tried just installing the driver for my specific card, but since that did not work I also tried the automatic option.

Hello!

I was having some trouble with my built-in NIC where internet would disconnect randomly, so I went and purchased a dedicated network card.

This card does not have the same issue, my connection is stable and does not drop, but it does not work at all the first time I turn on my PC. In other words, whenever I turn on my PC I have to reboot it to get the network card to show up and internet to work.
If I do not do that, my network card does not show up in the Device Manager at all.

I'm using my wired connection.
My Windows 10 Version is: 10.0.19042 Build 19042
My network card is: Gigabit NIC-GX1

• Tried another PCI port on my motherboard, though it did not make much sense in the first place since whenever I reboot, my internet connection stays for good;
  • Went back to the store and replaced the network card for a new one, just in case something was wrong with the first one, but again, I'm guessing it would cause issues all the time, not just on first boot;
  • Tried using Windows Troubleshooting. This one failed immediately with errors showing up (screenshots attached below);
  • Tried ipconfig /release and /renew in elevated CMD (screenshots attached below);
  • Used the Windows 10 built in feature "Network Reset";
  • Disabled "Green Ethernet", "Auto Disable Gigabit", "Power Saving Mode", "Wake on magic packet when system..." in the Advanced Properties section in the device manager for this device.
  • Unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under power management for my network card;
  • Disable the onboard lan in BIOS. Toggling it makes no difference for the issue;
When I first boot my PC, the network card does not show up in the device manager at all and the internet icon shows a little globe with a small sign in the right lower corner:
Screenshot
Screenshot

Windows Troubleshooting comes back with these messages:
Screenshot
Screenshot
Screenshot
Screenshot
Screenshot

When I tried the CMD commands, this is what I got: Screenshot

Also, if I try to scan for new devices of reinstall the driver from the manufacturers website, it just does not find the device at all, so rebooting is the only fix I've found so far.

After I reboot, I get internet connection right from the start, no issues, error messages, nothing in the event viewer or the reliability monitor.

The device appears under device manager, and ipconfig /all shows data as expected:
Screenshot
Screenshot

Please let me know if you have any advice on what to try, or if you had a similar issue before and how you got it fixed.

Thank you!
It looks like there is physically something wrong with the hardware, but try this in a cmd (Run as Administrator)

Code:
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
sfc /scannow
Reboot
If its still not detecting it its most likely the hardware itself.

Hello!

I tried those commands, but that did not help.

A small update: I've enabled hidden devices in Device Manager and found my network card. It says the following:

Not sure if it helps, but wanted to add it as well.

It is a device that may be disabled if power drops below a minimum.
What happens when you disables this option in device control?

Last edited:
It is a device that may be diabled if power drops below a minimum.
What happens when you disables this option in device control?
Hello!

Are you perhaps referring to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under power management or something else?

Thank!

Another update: I've noticed that the same issue happens when I wake up from sleep. Restart solves it again, but waking up from sleep and after shutdown causes the issue every time. I tried disabling Hybrid Sleep in power options and it's still the same.

And also in this threat, what happens if you assign a fixed ip address?
That's a really good idea! Probably should have tried that sooner. I'll try that as soon as I'm back from work and will follow up on both threads.

I tried setting a static ip address on my dedicated nic and it worked until I put the computer to sleep. The same issue persists.

To maybe help with the trouble shooting process get a USB ethernet dongle and see it does the same thing. They are fairly inexpensive.
An in place install of win10 might be helpful.

To maybe help with the trouble shooting process get a USB ethernet dongle and see it does the same thing. They are fairly inexpensive.
An in place install of win10 might be helpful.
Thanks for the tip!

I'll order a USB ethernet adapter on Tuesday (it's a holiday here on Monday) and I'll check if that works.

Another small update: I tried booting up Garuda Linux from my USB and the same issue happens there.
So once I go to sleep (suspend) and turn the pc back on, I don't have any internet connection and the device does not show up at all.

Not sure if testing this in a live environment counts, but just wanted to point out that the issue remains there as well.

You have tested a lot, almost everything, it stil looks like a hardware problem. To rule this out, have you ever tried a different cable?

You have tested a lot, almost everything, it stil looks like a hardware problem. To rule this out, have you ever tried a different cable?
I carried my PC downstairs and connected it using a shorter cable and still the same.

Luckily, I found my receipt (which serves as warranty) for the card, so I'm gonna try to replace it for another model and test it out again.
I'm really out of things to try at this time. If anyone has any other suggestions - please let me know.

@bochane thank you so much for your help so far on both threads, you've been awesome! ;)

I suspect some hardware problem.
But now I am about out of options.....

Last edited:
Back