Windows 7 Ethernet Switch, unidentified network, no internet access.

orangetag001

Okay, first of all I would like to say that I have looked through a couple of the other topics that I've found on this issue but those seem to have dealt with their computers.

I recently bought an eight-port ethernet switch and today after the router went out(it does this quite often) I found I am now unable to get online with my wired connection and now must rely on wireless. I can plug my computer into the ethernet port and get internet so I know it is the switch that is at fault here. So any ideas guys? I would really rather not buy another one and have it happen again.

Check the IP addressing information on your wired adapter, see what you are getting from the router. You said the router went out. What does that mean? What did you or do you do to recover from this. How are the router and switch inter-connected (switch port lan side of router to switch port) is there an uplink port? Are all ports on both or either capable of midi-x, or are you using a cross-over cable. Is your network adapter set to accept DHCP or have you assigned static values for IP version 4? Try swapping ports on the switch. Do the link lights indicate a connection, are you seeing anything blinking indicating activity?

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5cf5:2f57:576e:bff%23
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.5
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Tunnel adapter isatap.{5E49D758-FACF-43C4-A7AF-DAAC78B81815}:

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:1cc7:2e44:
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1cc7:2e44:e788:ad05%2
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

Tunnel adapter isatap.{953712F4-FD35-43AB-B754-8A50EC1B36ED}:

Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:

Tunnel adapter Reusable Microsoft 6To4 Adapter:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 13:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 14:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 15:

Tunnel adapter isatap.Belkin:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin

Tunnel adapter isatap.{AB107095-E374-4723-85FF-5A842866A0DD}:

I live in a fraternity and our internet isn't configured top notch. So periodically the "main router" will go down. There is the wall ethernet port and I have my ethernet switch plugged into that. If it matters I have my computer, two Xbox 360's, and a Playstation 3 connected to this. It has been working perfectly for about three or four weeks now. I replaced my last one due to this problem too. I have my Local Area Connection set to do stuff automatically. The game consoles are not on so I tried to swap my laptop port and the light did change when I switched to the port I swapped to. So it does recognize that something is going on. I had it unplugged for about thirty minutes and just plugged it back in but to no avail.

If you by pass the switch and plug the computer directly into the wall does the ethernet connection work OK then? That should probably be the first step in determining if the switch is in fact the problem.

Yeah it works. That's how I came to the conclusion that it was the switch. Also I tried to do ipconfig /release and /renew but when I did the renew one it said something about "...unable to connect to dhcp server...".

Well in that case I'm going to agree with your conclusion. The switch is probably bad. What type of switch is it? Is it the same make and model as the one that went bad on you before? How's the electric supply to the room any spikes that might be responsible for two switches going bad? How long did they last?
I'm assuming that they do work for a time and then after awhile just stop working. You don't have anyone that's blocking some MAC address at the router, or controling the number of IP address you're allowed? Who manages the network, have you talked to them about the issue. Are other fraternity members able to do the same thing in their rooms?

It's a Dynex 8-port ethernet switch. First and second result on google if you type that in. My last one was a Belkin if I remember right.

Have you tried resetting the switch. Sometimes they will just lock, more often than not they do this a single port at a time to protect themselves from loops or other issues present on the network. Try unplugging it for a while, ten minutes or so and see if that helps at all.

Alright I unplugged it and while it was unplugged I changed ports for my laptop and it still gives me the same problem. Computer problems are probably the single most frustrating thing on this planet.

Change the port that is plugged into the wall, and unplug everything else so just your computer and the wall connection is live. If that doesn't work and you're sure nobody is blocking the mac address of the switch then you can be relatively certain that the switch is bad. Although I would probably still want to try it in another environment just to be sure. Another room perhaps?

Back