Windows 7 Explorer.exe Crashes Upon Startup

ravstent

Every time I start my laptop it gets past the welcome screen and then goes black and a window appears stating that Windows Explorer has stopped working. I use task manager to get to Run. I attempt to start explorer.exe but the task manager crashes as well. The same thing happens in Safe Mode and i can't get to MSCONFIG to run a clean boot.
Problem details sate:

Problem event name APPCRASH
Application Name Explorer.EXE
Application Version 6.1.7600.1678
Fault Module Name PROPSYS.dll
Fault Module Version 7.0.7600.16385

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.

Any help or advice is much appreciated, thank you.

The propsys.dll is a Windows file and is more than likely not the actual cause of your problem.

Can you boot to the repair options using F8 and try using the basic video choice? Or last know good configuration? What the heck, try whatever you can.

Have you tried an anti-virus? There are some that run at boot.

If you have any dump files, you could zip and attach them using the paperclip.

There is a BSOD forum if you decide to go over there.

Attachments

• F8 Options.JPG
    F8 Options.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
The propsys.dll is a Windows file and is more than likely not the actual cause of your problem.

Can you boot to the repair options using F8 and try using the basic video choice? Or last know good configuration? What the heck, try whatever you can.

Have you tried an anti-virus? There are some that run at boot.

If you have any dump files, you could zip and attach them using the paperclip.

There is a BSOD forum if you decide to go over there.

I've tried all of the different boot options listed, and I took out the drive and scanned it wiht my other computer using AVG, Spybot, and Malwarebytes. Avg found a couple "trojans' in the temp folder of AppData but that was all. I also ran repair and it it didn't fix anything.

Finding some Trojans on a system of course is not a good sign. There may have been some corruption or some system files changed that is keeping your system from getting into explorer.

I can't really think of something to recover your system short of a reinstall. If you knew for sure what was wrong, you might be able to correct it, but that would be a long shot.

Maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

Back