Windows 7 explorer.exe No program associated with it??

sheitmar

This just started happening yesterday and quite honestly I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. I've scoured the net and this forum looking for a solution first but came up with nothing.

To give you a better idea if I don't portray this clearly enough I've included screenshots.

I'm not exactly sure what you call the icon on the taskbar that you can use to get to your files, but regardless..mine no longer works. When I click on it, i get this error message:

explorer.exe
This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.

Also, when I use the Windows Key and E, I now get this error:

explorer.exe
Unspecified error

Any ideas?? The Default Programs control panel offers no real insight for me..

Hi Drew, sorry I don't see any attachments to your post so I can't see to what you're referring.

Also, unfortunately (and kicking myself now for it), I don't have any previous System Restore points prior to this...

I can get there yes, though hitting "Set this program as default" doesn't appear to do much - clicking on "Choose defaults for this program" only brings up the SEARCH protocol and I can't really change anything in there.

RE: explorer.exe No program associated with it?

This can be caused by a virus or a corrupt explorer.exe file in your Windows folder.
You can run chkdsk or you can repair it from the CD; it might fix it but i'm not totally 100% sure that it is the explorer file.
You can also try to go to C:/Windows and open explorer.exe and if it is still giving that error then it is corrupt.

Sylvia, unfortunately I didn't find a solution to the problem and had to reinstall Windows. Hope you have better luck than I did!

Thanks for your answers, iBen and Sheitmar. :)

I just installed Windows 7 2 days ago, so I certainly don't want to reformat! It took me long enough to reinstall the programs :mad:.

The explorer.exe file doesn't work either (in C:\Windows), I get the same message when I double-click on it. I don't use that program most of the time but I would still like to be able to use it from the task bar.

I ran CHKDSK but it didn't find anything wrong.
Is it possible to fix that file individually? If yes, how?

Sylvia

Hello,
If you can use system restore, please do that to an earlier time.
Otherwise you pretty much have to backup Windows and reinstall, unless you can find a fresh copy of explorer to use.

Thanks again, iBen.
I can't use the System Restore as I installed tons of things the last 3 days and don't want to have to redo it. :eek:

I read on some other forums that it might be caused by a problem with the registry files but it was for previous versions of Windows 7.

If anybody finds a fix (without having to reinstall Windows), please let me know. :)

Thanks again,

Sylvia

I'm not sure replacing the file itself will solve the problem, if it's a registry file issue.
However I'll give it a try and let you know.
Thanks again,
Sylvia

You might try running a system file check.

Open an administrative command window and type the following:

SFC /scannow

Hit enter and wait for it to finish. If the Explorer.exe file is corrupted or missing, it should be replaced.

If you use Computer or Disk Management to open the folders and go to \Windows, the explorer.exe utility is there. It should be 2,803 KB (32 bit version) , and you should be able to double click it to get it to run.

If it is not correct, there may be a virus at work. Are you having any problems starting Win 7? And yes, there is a registry situation but that usually causes login or startup issues. It can be fixed also, if the original cause has been taken care of.

Thanks for the suggestions, saltgrass.
I ran SFC /scannow but it didn't find any error.

I solved the problem by copying the explorer.exe from my laptop to the desktop (which also runs on Windows 7) and I pinned it to the taskbar, so I use the copy whenever I need to open the explorer.

Thanks all for your help/suggestions. :)

Sylvia

Back