Windows 8 File Explorer issues. Keeps booting me out :(

Pulsebass

Hi Guys,

I have heard good things about this forum so I thought I would join. Unfortunately I have been having a few issues over the last day or so. Basically evertime I open a folder in my internal back-up drivers it seems to intermittently boot me out and closes the window so I end back on desktop.

I have had a look at event viewer and have noticed I keep getting Application Error with the following script.

Can anyone help. If there is anything else I can provide please do tell me :)

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 6.3.9600.17284, time stamp: 0x53f816dc
Faulting module name: mfmp4srcsnk.dll, version: 12.0.9600.17238, time stamp: 0x53d0c43e
Exception code: 0xc0000094
Fault offset: 0x000000000008ed0f
Faulting process ID: 0x7e4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cfd2a353d3fd8d
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\mfmp4srcsnk.dll
Report ID: d0b84fc2-3e96-11e4-bf3b-50e549e6ead5
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

From what I can find with a few quick searches it would seem that your problem may be related to a Windows Update, specifically KB2975719
Check Control Panel->Windows Updates->Installed Updates and see if you have that listed and try uninstalling it and see if that resolves the issue.
There is some other indications that perhaps Classic Shell might be involved or perhaps a combination of the two (KB2975719 + Classic Shell)
It seems to be linked to Explorer attempting to generate thumbnail previews of certain media files.
You could probably change your folder options / view tab to "Always show icons never thumb nails" as a first diagnostic step to see if that is related to your specific issue.

From what I can find with a few quick searches it would seem that your problem may be related to a Windows Update, specifically KB2975719
Check Control Panel->Windows Updates->Installed Updates and see if you have that listed and try uninstalling it and see if that resolves the issue.
There is some other indications that perhaps Classic Shell might be involved or perhaps a combination of the two (KB2975719 + Classic Shell)
It seems to be linked to Explorer attempting to generate thumbnail previews of certain media files.
You could probably change your folder options / view tab to "Always show icons never thumb nails" as a first diagnostic step to see if that is related to your specific issue.
Hi Mate... thanks for the reply! Will give that a go now :)

Wow! What can I say! You are a legend amongst Legends! It worked! I have to ask.. What did you search for!? Thanks again and really appreciate it!

I also have an issue that needs some help:
Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 10/30/2014 15:10:09
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: MIKE
Description:
Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.3.9600.17284, time stamp: 0x53f816dc
Faulting module name: SHELL32.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17331, time stamp: 0x54023e8e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000d4df0
Faulting process id: 0x824
Faulting application start time: 0x01cff493daf023b8
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll
Report Id: e4346d4e-6089-11e4-8276-a0a8cd4930b7
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-10-30T23:10:09.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>4468</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>MIKE</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Explorer.EXE</Data>
<Data>6.3.9600.17284</Data>
<Data>53f816dc</Data>
<Data>SHELL32.dll</Data>
<Data>6.3.9600.17331</Data>
<Data>54023e8e</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>00000000000d4df0</Data>
<Data>824</Data>
<Data>01cff493daf023b8</Data>
<Data>C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE</Data>
<Data>C:\Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll</Data>
<Data>e4346d4e-6089-11e4-8276-a0a8cd4930b7</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Thank you
~Mike

I can't really do much with that information, except maybe to suggest that you scan your computer with.....
https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/
AND
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/dl/125/

If explorer is crashing it may be producing blue screens you may want to submit a post in our BSOD sub-forum here http://windowsforum.com/forums/windows-8-blue-screen-of-death-bsod.274/

But
First make sure your machine is configured properly to facilitate the collection of .dmp files.
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

Then……Please read the first post in this sticky thread here How to ask for help with a BSOD problem
Do your best to accumulate the data required.
Run the SF Diagnostic tool (download and right click the executable and choose run as administrator)
Download and run CPUz. Use the Windows snipping tool to gather images from all tabs including all slots populated with memory under the SPD tab.Likewise RAMMon. Export the html report, put everything into a desktop folder that you've created for this purpose, zip it up and attach it to your next post (right click it and choose send to, compressed (zipped) folder.

Here's the file from W7F, I hope this helps and thanks again for your assistance!

Attachments

• W7F_04-11-2014.zip
    674 KB · Views: 733
This is an update file after I did the changes to the Start Up and recovery dump files, sorry I should have done that the first time
~Mike

Attachments

• W7F_04-11-2014.zip
    687.6 KB · Views: 477
Um, I don't know which application fixed the issue, but it's all working now, weird, Trouble, thank you for your wisdom, I did learn a lot just from reading your posts, I never new about the sfc/scannow program :up: You rock:peace:

Good to hear that you've managed to resolve your problem and thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
If the computer should exhibit problems as above in the future, you may want to start another thread in the BSOD sub-forum and let one of the BSOD guys take a look at the problem.
Regards
Randy.

file explorer cut and still closes after trying to cut/copy and paste from right window to left, I can cut/copy in the same window just fine, but if I try to cut/copy and paste it into a different folder in the left window, it freezes then closes as soon as I right click on folder to select paste. No blue screens

Would you perform an experiment?
Don't use the mouse right click function.
You can use the mouse to click to select
Then use the keyboard keys
Ctrl + C
to copy
Then
Ctrl + V
to paste
See if that has the same effect on your computer as using the right click context menu to perform the same functions.

OK I did a couple experiments, using the mouse, all issues were the same, using track pad and same issues but quicker results(seemed to close on me quicker) and last experiment was what you suggested and everything work OK

OK, so with the mouse and the touchpad (I'm assuming build in device on a laptop) are both behaving similarly my suspicion falls to the Context Menu Handler. Specifically this one
ContextHandler 5.0.0.12 76.28 KB (78,112 bytes) 09/29/2014 01:49 Glarysoft Ltd c:\program files (x86)\glary utilities 5\x64\contexthandler.dll

It looks like you have Glary Utilities 5 installed on the computer.
Would you consider uninstalling that, at least temporarily for testing purposes.
The program might have its' own uninstaller located in its' program folder noted above and called unins000.exe
If not just try using the "Program and Features" applet in the Control Panel to uninstall it.

It may not be the culprit but we have to start somewhere. It could just as easily be any of a number of software programs that have added a poorly coded context menu item to the right click menu. So..... if you can think of any programs you may have installed about the same time as the problem began they may be worth taking a look at.

Additionally run the Windows native System File Checker
Open an administrative command prompt and type
sfc /scannow
hit enter
and see if it finds anything.

There is also a small program which may help identify any context menu items that may have been added around the time of the problem.
Get it here http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
Download links are at the bottom of the page, including the 64 bit version if that is what you need.
It is a very small program that does not require installation.
It will automatically highlight non-microsoft context menu items and you can sort by modified date by simply clicking on the column header "CLSID Modified Time"
Good luck and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom