Windows 10 File Explorer Possibility

jmrng

Hello everyone,

So I a fairly new to windows, coming from mac, and I think windows is brilliant.
However, one of the things that I loved with macs/osx was the finder. When in finder (mac's file explorer), when you click in a folder, it will reveal its contents on the side to its right, linking to the initial folder. This allows users to see the contents and where they were linked to as a whole, and allows for simple dragging of contents between folders for easy file transport.

findertips-5.jpg

My question is, is there a way to do this or at least something similar on windows?
I know that there is the navigation pane on the left that does something fairly similar, but I would much rather the mac's format.

Thanks.

Click the "view" Tab. The the "options" far right.This will give you several choices. I would suggest
1. In the first window, "open File explorer to" - This PC"
Change to the "View" Tab
2. At the bottom of the list "Navigation pane<" Expand to open folder" and "Show all folders"

This may be all you are looking for, but play with the settings.

Click the "view" Tab. The the "options" far right.This will give you several choices. I would suggest
1. In the first window, "open File explorer to" - This PC"
Change to the "View" Tab
2. At the bottom of the list "Navigation pane<" Expand to open folder" and "Show all folders"

This may be all you are looking for, but play with the settings.

Thanks, but it isn't what I was looking for. I mentioned I know about the navigation pane and that it is fairly similar to what I wanted, however, it doesn't show its contents within the file explorer itself. Upon some more research, I came across Winbrowser, an alternative file explorer for windows that has what I need. However, it states that it is not compatible with windows 10, and it isn't free. I'm looking for a file explorer that shows the contents of the file without opening a new window or changing the current window I am on, just like what the navigation pane is capable of doing but expanding to the right and within the file explorer itself (not as a navigation pane on the left of the file explorer).

I'm not exactly sure what he is looking for here? Better breadcrumb support like MacOS? The Preview Pane will let you see a files contents to the right of the current open folder (if it can render them).

I'm not exactly sure what he is looking for here? Better breadcrumb support like MacOS? The Preview Pane will let you see a files contents to the right of the current open folder (if it can render them).
By contents, I mean within a folder there are many files. Those files are contents within the folder. What I want is column view, like the picture I have posted above, where you don't have to open another window or stray away from your current window when you open a folder. I mention this again, I know that the navigation pane can do this, but I wish to have the folders open and show their contents within the file explorer itself, not on the side like the navigation panel does (and it does this downwards, not sideways like I would want).

Click the view tab and you have options there. Kist: Content or Tiles may be what you are looking for?

Back