Windows 7 Firefox 3.5 released

loathe

Click the update button on your Firefox. 3.5 has been released!

Mozilla today announced the newest stable version of Firefox, version 3.5, which has been available in various developer preview forms for months. The new version is a milestone release, unlike timely updates that Firefox receives on a near-monthly basis, and boasts of better performance. For instance, Firefox 3.5 outperforms its previous version (Firefox 3) by over 100% in the SunSpider benchmark.

Under the hood, this new version extends support for HTML5 audio and video elements, including native support for open-source formats such as Ogg Theora. It uses a faster TraceMonkey Javascript engine (which is behind the performance boost in SunSpider), It supports downloadable fonts, CSS media queries, new transformations and properties, JavaScript query selectors, HTML5 local storage and offline application storage, canvas-driven text, ICC profiles, and SVG transformations. The user interface remains fairly identical to its predecessor, except for a few minor changes. The browser finally supports a private browsing feature which MSIE 8 (InPrivate) and Google Chrome (Incognito mode) have. Existing users of Firefox will be prompted to upgrade to the new browser.

Read More >>

After a quick test drive it seems more responsive than the old version. It loads up faster too. All my themes and extensions were compatible.

Here are some benchmarks outlining why Im a Chrome convert.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I've been using version 3.5 since it was being called 3.1. I love Firefox because of the extensions and the ability to make it look like I want it to. I use AdBlock Plus and NoScript. Chrome is faster but it's not faster than mine because it's loading ads plus any Javascripts that websites want us to download. My Firefox loads no ads plus the only scripts it loads are the ones I specifically allow. No malicious Javascripts ever come into my computer. This plus Eset Smart Security have kept my computer absolutely malware free for years now.

According to what I just read there is an ad blocking feature for Chrome but it's a pain to use. There will be a simple way of installing it at some future time. Also they say Chrome has an architecture that blocks malware normally but they also say it's not bullet proof. Also with all Google software comes the Google Updater. There are no user controls for it. It does whatever it wants whenever it wants to. That's 3 strikes against Chrome for me. I'll never use it til they let me have it the way I want it.

What can I say? Firefox has me spoiled. With the extensions and themes you can have it any way you want it. Speed is not an issue for me. We're talking milliseconds here.

Last edited:
I am a Opera user for years..but some of the most important sites doesnt work in Opera. To name a few,
Hotmail, Zedge,deviantart etc., These website works only wit IE and Chrome. But for me, Chrome is bit sluggish. So, d/l FF today and it seems to be faster now. Gonna make ful use of it wit al avail xtensions and add-ons. The latest version is gud.

I am a Opera user for years..but some of the most important sites doesnt work in Opera. To name a few,
Hotmail, Zedge,deviantart etc., These website works only wit IE and Chrome.
The IETab extension for firefox enables it to work with all of those IE only sites.

^^ i am able to access the above mentioned sites without tht xtension itself. :)
anyways thnx for ur info, it may benefit other members.

Any xtension or add-on which wil give the password wand option used in Opera to FF. This is one feature I like the most in Opera and makin me stil stickin to it.

Last edited:
Back