Windows 8 Fix for broken metro apps/Control Panel in Windows 8

Re: Do Not Use CCleaner!

Yeah me too. But I've found several very good programs that take out the trash, clean the registry of dead links, etc., and never cause me a problem. So I guess, each of us have to use what works best for us. Eh?

The Doctor :cool:

Bump!

One more program that I've tried on win-7 and Win-8 is the New and Improved version of an old favorite "Easy Cleaner" from Toni Arts.
It was re-written to accommodate the weird format and registry in Vista, Win-7 and now Win-8.
The older version worked with '98 to XP Pro with never a problem, even on my fully tweaked and tuned XP-Pro-SP3. But on Visduh and up, it kind of got "Lost in Space". The NEW and Improved version took care of the problem.
Easy Cleaner is made up of several apps, even an Uninstaller and duplicate file finder. It does a great job of finding and removing JUNK files. I've used it on virtually hundreds of PC's, running every OS from '98 to Win-7 with narry a problem.

It does a great job of cleaning bad links out of the registry, but does not re-compress it. I use NTREGOPT for that. Again, a program that's very SAFE and effective. And FREE!

Merry Christmas Everyone!
:cool:

PS: Take a look!
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm#download

Last edited by a moderator:

This problem still exists in CCleaner 3.16/Windows 8 Consumer Preview!
Mitchell_A said:
Well guys, I finally nailed the problem on the head today (mind you, I could have last week if I wasn't so lazy):

CCleaner (and any other registry cleaners) that scans for invalid shortcuts or application path references will delete three keys required by Windows 8 to display the metro CP, Windows Store and metro Remote Desktop. These keys are as follows:
Please note that in CCleaner, the problem arises when the user scans for invalid Start Menu/Desktop shortcuts from within the cleaning dialog, not the registry scanner.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Store.lnk\C:\Users\Mitch\Desktop\notused

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Immersive Control Panel.lnk\C:\Users\Mitch\Desktop\notused

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Immersive RemoteDesktop.lnk\C:\Users\Mitch\Desktop\notused

So when using ANY registry cleaning software, be sure to look through the scan prior to removing keys and UNSELECT these three "invalid" shortcuts. Although, I still don't understand why this made the apps completely inaccessible (via some external links in the normal CP, etc) and quite frankly, I don't care.

Thanks for your help guys, and I hope this solves the problem for others as well :)

I've had this install now since Windows 8 CP was released. And CCleaner is one of my main apps, and has been for years. I've used the registry cleaner, but I always backup the repairs in My Documents.

That being said, will I have problems with Windows 8 CP? I don't plan to go to the App Store anytime soon.

Cat

Hey Cat:
I think if you read Mitchell's careful and considerably in-depth analysis of this problem you will find that he has determined that the problem only occurs if you purposely select Start Menu Shortcuts under the "System" section of the Scanner (not the registry cleaner tool).
I do not believe that is a default setting so running Ccleaner with defaults shouldn't be an issue.
If you would like to examine the specifics of the issue yourself you can check the "Start Menu Shortcuts" checkbox and run Analyze (Do Not "Run Cleaner"). You will see the results include three files, if you double click that line you will see exactly the three files he has pinpointed.
Uncheck "Start Menu Shortcuts" and close Ccleaner.
Still a good product, you just need to be a bit careful as with all such products.
HTH
Randy

Those boxes are pre-checked when one installs CCleaner. I uncheck a couple myself when installing. For the time being, I'll uncheck all of the "System" options.

Cat

Trouble is correct, catt. The normal default, even if in the secure mode, is that those items are unchecked. By coincidence, I was installing new software on a computer, at the time these posts were made. I took the opportunity to look at the "presets" of a virgin install of Ccleaner.

Randy
You're right you do have to be careful with all of the registry cleaners. Some are a real disaster I learned the hard way. I've always had good luck with Ccleaner and the default settings. I think some people over estimate their computer knowledge when going into the optional settings. That and they obsess about cleaning every possible thing they can find They think isn't needed.
Joe

Trouble is correct, catt. The normal default, even if in the secure mode, is that those items are unchecked. By coincidence, I was installing new software on a computer, at the time these posts were made. I took the opportunity to look at the "presets" of a virgin install of Ccleaner.
It may have changed in the last few days. Those options where pre-checked when I installed CCleaner before.

I need to install it on my fresh install of Windows 8 CP on my notebook. I'll look and see what's checked already.

Cat

I have had absolutely no problems from or due to CCleaner. Other than disabling "Clear Jump Lists", it is being run regularly @ default settings.

Drew

Ditto here. I realize that I have to be careful with the registry portion for cleanup of the registry. Another section of the temp files you have to uncheck is the MSE log files. MSE (and I would think Windows Defender in Win 8 CP) logs Quick Scans and Full Scans here. If you wipe this log file, you will be constantly asked to rescan even if you just ran a scan.

Screenshot.jpg
Here is the snapshot of when I installed CCleaner this morning on my notebook. Note the default pre-checked boxes.

Cat

As I said, have always found CCleaner terrific, as is & still do, even w/ Win8... except for the Jump List things, since the time that we have Jump Lists, the rest @ default isn't any problem.

CCleaner has and probably always be a staple (must need) software for me. It's good at what it does, as long as the one who is using it knows what he/she is doing.

I especially like the secure overwriting function of my internet (& related apps) usage, which I run before shutdown, and immediately after making any transactions.

Cat

It hasn't given me any problems either. By the time that I may need whatever it was that was deleted, it'll probably be time for Windows 8 to be RTM. Meaning that I'll have to do a fresh install anyway.

CCleaner is a tool that every Windows computer user needs, for more reasons than one. Privacy (with overwrite from 1,3,7 & 35 times, the last two options are overkill), getting rid of useless temporary install files, other unneeded junk files, plus it has a tool to disable unneeded functions at Startup to speed things up, an uninstaller, registry cleaner (with the option to backup what's repaired), options to protect files/folders/drives, a free space overwriting option & more.

Not bad for a program that's 100% free. We need more of these type of programs. Speccy, Recuva & Defraggler are good programs also, all from Piriform. I use them all, even Defraggler in XP Mode. Perfect Disk 12.5 is my choice of defrag software. It's not free, but it's worth the cost.

Cat

People just need to be careful with it. I suspect those that have had problems with it weren't using just the default settings. A bit like the self styled experts that insist they know what they are doing when the clean the registry manually then have to reinstall OS.
Joe

Yes, that registry isn't something that I care to mess with. I mean, with precise instructions, I can edit it to add functions (such as adding 24 bit True Color to XP Mode). But in general, I stay away from it, except for an occasional clean with CCleaner (after backing up the repair first).

I've seen some of the work of those "self styled experts" (Best Buy Geek Squad) have done, and believe me, it was not that impressive of a job. It was my mother-in-law's computer, what they charged $99 for, I would have done for free, and not leave a mess behind, as they did. She asked me if she should carry it back, I said no, and fixed it myself.

But she did get her $99+ tax credited back to her charge card, and never set foot in another Best Buy store, and tells others not to also. That's the most effective advertising (or negative advertising), is word of mouth. Today, Best Buy is struggling to keep it's doors open. Doing away with the "Geek Squad" & stop acting as used car sales persons would be one way to bring customers back.

The fact is, much of what the Geek Squad does, can be done using CCleaner.

Cat

Same here, have done several runs of CCleaner while going non-stop w/ Windows8 since 29/2... no (unexpected) problems

Drew

Same here, have done several runs of CCleaner while going non-stop w/ Windows8 since 29/2... no (unexpected) problems

Drew

Do you have the desktop & start menu shortcuts selected for cleaning?

Mitchell,

In 7, no I do not. I'm in Win7, @ the moment. Came to 7 to get some back-up done. Will check CCleaner settings in Win8... will be back there, soon. Should be the same as, the only CCleaner setting I change from the defaults is the uncheck "clear Jumplists'.

Yep, it is the same in Windows8. The 2 items you mention are not checked.

Drew

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom