Windows 10 Fix for the 80240020 error when trying to install Windows 10

Ok, so I just want to double check before I go and upgrade. My windows 8.1 key will be my windows 10 key? So if I have a windows 8.1 pro key will it work for windows 10 pro?

You don't get a Windows 10 key, you use your 7/8/8.1 key, but yes you can create a bootable DVD or USB to do a fresh install using the tool.
Are we talking about the same thing here? Because I know my Windows 8.1 product key and I know it was automatically changed when I upgraded to Windows 10.

I went ahead and used the media creation tool to upgrade my computer from 8.1 to 10. It worked perfectly. Once upgraded I used magic jellybean to see my activation key and it did give me a new key.

This error means the download is corrupted in some way.
1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 will start downloading again..

This did not work for me as well. My system also had failed upgrade entries in the log.

There are hundreds of pages of people having difficulties. If this is the case, and you want to upgrade now, use the Media Creation Kit for Windows 10 created by Microsoft.

Windows 10 Media Creation Kit - Microsoft

I ended up running this twice as the first attempt crashed right after the download and verification. I chose the option to update and not create the install disk.

3 hours of playing around to get an upgrade to start... It almost made me home sick for Windows 98 (almost)!

You got it working in the end though Ned yes? Hope all goes well.. :)

Being the freak that I am, I went the whole way. Did the standard upgrade route. No real problems. Went through the media creation routine and held it whilst I copied the install ESDs from both folders, and made ISOs from them, then allowed the media creator to continue. and install Windows 10. Now I want to try the self made larger ISO (larger as it included extra updates, I believe) , just from curiosity, to see what it offers for a key. The upgrade path has given me a new key, as expected.

Both of my Machines have the same key. I think we need to get away from a special key concept.

On my install to the non-Insider system, I selected "Reserve". About 24 hours later Windows Update showed a "Get Started" button. And 35 minutes later the download and upgrade were completed. It only took 9 minutes for the download on my system. 61 Mbps, nothing was predownloaded.

I was wondering if anyone having problems had tried to cancel the Reservation and then Reserve it again on or after the 29th because it does appear they have changed the process.

"I was wondering if anyone having problems had tried to cancel the Reservation and then Reserve it again on or after the 29th because it does appear they have changed the process."

I have done this on my wife's machine, as I did not think she was ready to launch from Windows 7 to Windows 10. No problems detected, but still waiting for the other shoe to drop!!

I think for some David the 'official word' to upgrade may take some time to appear depending where you fit in Microsoft's 'Matrix of compatibility'. This is all fine i guess but it would have stopped all the rush and confusion on the 29th if Microsoft had simply informed us all beforehand. I see in some articles it's being termed as the greatest rollout ever.. I should imagine whoever wrote that wasn't helping out in any forums that day.. ;)

Dave, there is nothing showing on the Windows Update Dialog page?

It is also a little unexpected that a machine originally set up for the Insider program, that was upgraded from Windows 8.1 , had maintained its activation status after I left the insider program. The unexpected part is that the 8.1 upgrade install had been abandoned several months ago.

Had you wife's machine ever been in the program?

No. Sorry. I worded it badly. I have, as said, taken no further action on my wife's upgrade. I am hoping that there will be some kind of warning, and an upgrade will not be automatic..
I have also now, left the program. If I remember correctly, your installation will become inactive at some stage, but not immediately. I have no idea how they keep a check on it, but it could be a very long time before it happens.

I don't think it will become inactive, but the Microsoft servers may be so busy it might take a while.

I tried reinstalling my Windows 8.1 drive and doing all the updates, including the specific one. I could not get the icon to show up and possibly that was because this configuration had already been activated in the magic place where this information is stored.

If you wife's computer had been in the Insider program, you might try doing a clean install, if it doesn't mess up what is there now.

My wife is 100% OK with her present installation. The repercussions would be extreme if I tried to change that!

You got it working in the end though Ned yes? Hope all goes well.. :)

Yes, but I might plan on doing a wipe and install from scratch as the Laptop seems to be having a few issues. It often hangs on shutdown or has issues with speed after coming back up from Sleep Mode. It feels like maybe driver issues yet Device Manager is clear of any issues.

I am just starting a Staycation so maybe I will stay in the comfort of my A/C and work on my Laptop instead of yard work. :) I just have to gauge how my wife will feel about that choice! :pray:<:noway:

Edit: Well I ended up doing a refresh from a USB install disk, dumping the programs but keeping my data files in tact. I got some of my software reloaded before my wife drug me out of my office... Seems like everything is working well for me now!

Last edited:
This error means the download is corrupted in some way.
1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 will start downloading again..

If this does not work -- make sure your hidden folder in your C drive is also deleted. That's how I was able to force my computer to get the update the folder name is $WINDOWS.~BT it is a hidden folder so make sure you enable hidden folders from the folder options.

Ok, so I just want to double check before I go and upgrade. My windows 8.1 key will be my windows 10 key? So if I have a windows 8.1 pro key will it work for windows 10 pro?

After you do the upgrade (Windows Update) from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 you can check your product key for Windows 10 in case you want to do a clean install (or if you must to do it because of the system crash). You can install ProduKey to check the product key. At least this is how I understood the proces. I read somewhere that if your system crashes you should first install your previous Windows (7/8/8.1) and then upgrade it to Windows 10 again. It seems silly.

Hey, I found this solution to your problem. Hope it will help you
fix error 80240020
Step 1
: Go to $Windows.~BT folder in C: and ensure the Hidden items option is checked in the toolbar section of the window. Now delete as many files and folders as possible.
Step 2: Go to C: > Windows > Software Distribution > Download folder and delete everything inside this folder.
Step 3: Run Command Prompt utility in Administrator mode and then search for 'cmd' from Start menu/screen. Right-click on it and select 'Run as Administrator' from the context menu.
Step 4: Type the following command and press enter: wuauclt.exe/updatenow.
Step 5: Wait for a few minutes and then check for available updates via Windows update. Windows 10 download should automatically start, with the download size actually depending on the current version of Windows installed on your computer. Download time could vary based on the type and speed of internet connection on your PC.
Step 6: Once the download completes, it will start 'Preparing for Installation' after which you can try installing the update once again.
Step 7: You should now see the message prompt saying that "Your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready". Just hit the Restart Now or Start the upgrade now button on the screen.
Step 8: Your PC should now reboot and then the Windows 10 installation should begin automatically. The installation process comprises of three phases: copying files, installing features and drivers, and configuring settings.
Step 9: Just let the computer restart a couple of times during the installation and it could take around 10 to 15 minutes to complete, depending upon the file size being installed and processing speed of your computer.
Step 10: After the installation is done, you should see the welcome screen. Then follow the on-screen instructions to enter the login screen.
Step 11: Enter your username/password to boot into the freshly installed and configured Windows 10 desktop.

Back