Windows 10 Folder and image thumbnail problem

hanswr

Hello all.

Recently I'm having this problem with thumbnails using windows explorer, whenever I open a folder configured to use large or medium icons, all I see are blank squares instead of the thumbnails or icons. It seems like a refresh problem because just by going to the view tab and hovering over list view or detail view a few times I get the images.

It my be a little hard for me to explain it better because of language limitations but I recorded a little video of my screen to show the problem.

It is driving me crazy, I already deleted the thumbnails cache, and tried a lot of stuff I found by searching but nothing seems to work...

Hope you can help me with this. Thank you very much in advanced.

My windows version is 10 (1511) Build 10586.218

All drivers installed and working.

I've had a similar issue. It'll happen when the explorer window comes up for me to upload a picture to a site like Facebook. But ONLY when I'm uploading a picture not when just using explorer for regular file management.
I'm also running Windows 10 (1511) Build 10586.218.

Hi! @LoboVerde ! Glad to see you finally working here;):up:! I'm not sure I understand the issue. W10 has many ways to repair issues.
I always recommend restoring to a earlier time; if I can't solve or figure out what's causing my problem. It works pretty well in W10 and is the least evasive. I'll just add the other ways if you can't find a solution!
If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you could use push-button reset to refresh or reset Windows.

Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling the OS while preserving the user data, user accounts, and important settings. All other preinstalled customizations are restored to their factory state. In Windows 10, this feature no longer preserves user-acquired Windows apps.

Reset your PC prepares the PC for recycling or for transfer of ownership by reinstalling the OS, removing all user accounts and contents (e.g. data, Classic Windows applications, and Universal Windows apps), and restoring preinstalled customizations to their factory state.

The options above are great for what they are intended for, but you could also do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates.

This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do a repair install of Windows 10.

I've had a similar issue. It'll happen when the explorer window comes up for me to upload a picture to a site like Facebook. But ONLY when I'm uploading a picture not when just using explorer for regular file management.
I'm also running Windows 10 (1511) Build 10586.218.

Hello. In my case it happens every time. Doing local stuffs also. The weird thing is that when I hover another view mode it refreshes, first to generic icons and then to the correct thumbnails.

Hi Here's a neat little windows tool no one seems to use. I've been trying to get techs interested.
Anyway Here is a zip file I created with the windows PSR. You can see I'm not having the issues I think you may be having!
PSR is a neat tool. I really like it!

Attachments

• icons.zip
    591.4 KB · Views: 154
This is a performance problem. The icons have to be made, directories have to be read and that takes time.
Which computer do you have?

This is a performance problem. The icons have to be made, directories have to be read and that takes time.
Which computer do you have?

Hello, thanks for your reply.

I'm sure it is not a performance issue. No matter what time you wait, the thumbnails and icons just won't show, also if you use a process monitor there is no indication of something consuming that kind of system resources.

My specs are not the fanciest but they cover windows 10 requirements.

I5 Intel Processor
8gb RAM DD3
Multiple hard drives 250gb - 160 - 160
1 gb geforce gtx560 PCIe video card

You may want to try one or more of these repair commands.
  • chkdsk /f /r press Y to confirm on next reboot
  • SFC /SCANNOW
  • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

You may want to try one or more of these repair commands.
  • chkdsk /f /r press Y to confirm on next reboot
  • SFC /SCANNOW
  • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Before posting I tried chkdsk and SFC, to no avail.

Just finished running DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth after a system restart, I can cofirm the problem persist.

Before posting I tried chkdsk and SFC, to no avail.

Just finished running DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth after a system restart, I can cofirm the problem persist.
Hi when you say you tried and no avail! What does that mean? Does it mean they wouldn't run? Does it mean that no bad sectors were found?
Does it mean no integrity violations were found? Has this always been a problem? Can you restore to a earlier time? I realize there may be a language barrier, but the more information you provide, the better members will be ableto can help you with your problem!!

es it mean they wouldn't run? Does it mean that no bad sectors were found?
Does it mean no integrity violations were found? Has this always been a problem? Can you restore to a earlier time? I realize there may be a language barrier, but the more information you provide, the better members will be ableto can help you with your problem!!

Hello, thanks for your reply and interest in this post.

What I meant is it didn't resolve the issue.

chkdsk /f /r reported no errors.
SFC /SCANNOW no integrity warnings or problems

and

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

[==========================100.0%==========================]
La operación de restauración finalizó correctamente.
La operación se completó correctamente.

Which means the restore operation completed successfully.

That's great! Thanks for your reply!;)I'm going to watch @Neemobeer help you on this! Looks like one of these weird problems that could require a reset or maybe in-place repair install!
I'll watch and learn!;):)

Hi hanswr! Have you thought about a in-place- repair?? If this is really bothering you, you could create a back up image of your OS and try a in-place-repair!
If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you could use push-button reset to refresh or reset Windows.

Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling the OS while preserving the user data, user accounts, and important settings. All other preinstalled customizations are restored to their factory state. In Windows 10, this feature no longer preserves user-acquired Windows apps.

Reset your PC prepares the PC for recycling or for transfer of ownership by reinstalling the OS, removing all user accounts and contents (e.g. data, Classic Windows applications, and Universal Windows apps), and restoring preinstalled customizations to their factory state.

The options above are great for what they are intended for, but you could also do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates.

This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do a repair install of Windows 10.

Sorry for my answer "This is a performance problem", anyway we know a little bit more now...

Is your Windows installation a standard installation or have you changed things, for instance the system on an SSD and user files and libraries like Documents, Downloads... on a classic hard disk? Or changed any of the default apps to own of your own favourites?

Sorry for my answer "This is a performance problem", anyway we know a little bit more now...

Is your Windows installation a standard installation or have you changed things, for instance the system on an SSD and user files and libraries like Documents, Downloads... on a classic hard disk? Or changed any of the default apps to own of your own favourites?

Hello bochane, thanks for your reply. My Windows 10 installation is standard. I have 3 regular magnetic SATA HDD 260gb - 160gb - 160gb, Windows installed in the 260gb HDD, the other 2 used to store personal data, non O.S. related (images, media, etc), no hardware changes since windows installation. Nothing out of the ordinary, every other aspect of Windows is working fine so far, only this thumbnail issue I described.

Normally I'm able to fix most windows problems without much trouble, and hate the idea of having to reformat or reinstall the whole O.S. just because of a single malfunction.

Tonight I will try the Reset procedure advised and let you know how it went.

Thanks again for your time and your valuable replys.

Topic update.

Just finished the Refresh your PC process. After about 25minutes, finally I logged in, of course all applications are gone, my personal files intact, but more important, the problem is gone. Thumbnails feature is working as it should now.

Thanks to all who helped and took the time to read and comment here.

I feel a little sad because I couldn't find a solution without reinstalling the system (that's practically what refresh pc does) but at least it got fixed.

Have a good evening. :wave:

Back