Windows 7 Font Hiding and Word

sacoward

I like the idea of font hiding in Windows 7, but it does not seem to work with Word (which would seem to make the whole idea of font hiding useless). Word shows all the fonts in my fonts folder including those marked hidden.

Is there some setting in Word to make this work? Since Word/Office is the primary place one uses fonts, it seems awfully strange that this font feature doesn't work in Word/Office.

Any ideas? Are there other ways to hide fonts from Word that I am unaware of?

thanks

Whenever I get a problem like this I try the help button in word itself...Have you tried that to see if will give you a solution?

I don't know if this helps the issue you are trying to fix; but I create an "uninstalled fonts" folder in Windows Explorer and remove all but about 25 or so commonly used fonts from the "font" folder. (Drag and drop from "Fonts" in the "Windows" directory to the newly created folder.) This uninstalls the fonts so NO program has to load all of them for you to pick from a few, yet they are available to reinstall by the same "drag and drop" procedure if you have some program that requests a special font that you have uninstalled.

Yes. A better solution. There are many fonts in all the Os's, which are so obscure, they would never be used by normal mortals.
You can hide certain fonts through the Control Panel - Fonts, but fonts that are hidden, although not available to applications, are still installed in the operation system. Its principal designed use was for users with multilingual environments, which were useless based on the users regional settings: if you indicated that Windows 7 should use western regional settings, other fonts (chinese , for example), would be hidden. This , of course, frees more memory.

Back
Top Bottom