Windows 7 Freezes After Startup. Clean boot does not work. Safe mode Does.

Tgc10

Hello, I am working with a Lenovo V570. It has Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (64-bit). Has an Intel Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30 GHz and 6 GB of ram.

I left my computer running when I went to work yesterday only running "Team Viewer 7" program so I'd be able to remote control my pc from my phone if needed be. When i returned, my computer wasnt completely frozen, however not allowing me to run any programs (example: Click the firefox icon, and my cursor would turn into a circle temporarily, then stop loading completely), control panel just freezes, and ctr+alt+del does nothing. Therefore, I restarted my machine and after the startup process, the same problem occurred. I then went into "safemode with networking" and everything works fine. So I went into my startup setting and did a clean boot. Restarted my computer with the clean boot and the problem STILL occurred. Since then I've ran Norton Antivirus and it found and fixed 2 viruses and 55 odd cookie trackers, however my problem still occurs. I cant re-install windows ONE: because bestbuy didnt include a windows 7 disc with my pc, and i have a very small budget to purchase a new windows 7 disc. TWO: because I have my school documents and many programs that i would NOT like to re-install. Any advice would be very helpful. I swear im about 30 more minutes from throwing this laptop out the window. (Im definitely a linux fan). Been working on this problem since i got home from work yesterday.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions given.

Also, i looked at the startup log in eventviewer and a recurring error on the startup process, however I don't know how to look up and see what program is causing the error/critical flag. Will post the log info below.

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance
Date: 3/19/2013 9:49:55 AM
Event ID: 100
Task Category: Boot Performance Monitoring
Level: Error
Keywords: Event Log
User: LOCAL SERVICE
Computer: Owner-PC
Description:
Windows has started up:
Boot Duration : 120864ms
IsDegradation : false
Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2013‎-‎03‎-‎19T13:47:02.656000300Z
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance" Guid="{CFC18EC0-96B1-4EBA-961B-622CAEE05B0A}" />
<EventID>100</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>4002</Task>
<Opcode>34</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000010000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-03-19T13:49:55.240903300Z" />
<EventRecordID>3497</EventRecordID>
<Correlation ActivityID="{032AFA50-F800-0002-0528-633CA824CE01}" />
<Execution ProcessID="1556" ThreadID="1712" />
<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational</Channel>
<Computer>Owner-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BootTsVersion">2</Data>
<Data Name="BootStartTime">2013-03-19T13:47:02.656000300Z</Data>
<Data Name="BootEndTime">2013-03-19T13:49:52.323698200Z</Data>
<Data Name="SystemBootInstance">253</Data>
<Data Name="UserBootInstance">233</Data>
<Data Name="BootTime">120864</Data>
<Data Name="MainPathBootTime">82364</Data>
<Data Name="BootKernelInitTime">23</Data>
<Data Name="BootDriverInitTime">28464</Data>
<Data Name="BootDevicesInitTime">2581</Data>
<Data Name="BootPrefetchInitTime">67155</Data>
<Data Name="BootPrefetchBytes">599638016</Data>
<Data Name="BootAutoChkTime">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootSmssInitTime">14532</Data>
<Data Name="BootCriticalServicesInitTime">1890</Data>
<Data Name="BootUserProfileProcessingTime">5542</Data>
<Data Name="BootMachineProfileProcessingTime">11</Data>
<Data Name="BootExplorerInitTime">16076</Data>
<Data Name="BootNumStartupApps">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootPostBootTime">38500</Data>
<Data Name="BootIsRebootAfterInstall">false</Data>
<Data Name="BootRootCauseStepImprovementBits">1048576</Data>
<Data Name="BootRootCauseGradualImprovementBits">1048576</Data>
<Data Name="BootRootCauseStepDegradationBits">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootRootCauseGradualDegradationBits">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootIsDegradation">false</Data>
<Data Name="BootIsStepDegradation">false</Data>
<Data Name="BootIsGradualDegradation">false</Data>
<Data Name="BootImprovementDelta">108813</Data>
<Data Name="BootDegradationDelta">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootIsRootCauseIdentified">false</Data>
<Data Name="OSLoaderDuration">3355</Data>
<Data Name="BootPNPInitStartTimeMS">23</Data>
<Data Name="BootPNPInitDuration">2966</Data>
<Data Name="OtherKernelInitDuration">3542</Data>
<Data Name="SystemPNPInitStartTimeMS">6257</Data>
<Data Name="SystemPNPInitDuration">28079</Data>
<Data Name="SessionInitStartTimeMS">34588</Data>
<Data Name="Session0InitDuration">6168</Data>
<Data Name="Session1InitDuration">118</Data>
<Data Name="SessionInitOtherDuration">8245</Data>
<Data Name="WinLogonStartTimeMS">49120</Data>
<Data Name="OtherLogonInitActivityDuration">11612</Data>
<Data Name="UserLogonWaitDuration">11828</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

You can always download a copy of Windows 7 w/SP1, if you needed.

Dell should have given you the option to make recovery media, but many of those systems use specific F keys during boot to allow for recovery options. Have the tried the F8 key to see if you can get any of those options?

You said you tried a "clean" boot, but not sure exactly what you mean. Using MSconfig.exe, you should be able to troubleshoot your system until you find the problem.

I have no experience with TeamViewer, but I would certainly suggest keeping it from starting during your boot.

clean boot as in, i stopped all startup programs and services from starting when i boot my pc except for the required Microsoft programs that is needed for windows to run. So Teamviewer would have been included in the list that doesnt startup when my pc boots. And the menu when i boot my pc doesn't give me the option for going to factory reset. I did however make a recovery image of my computer when i bought it, however wherever that disk is WHO KNOWS!?!?! hahaha. And even if i did download a Windows 7 SP1 copy, i would still have to purchase an activation code, or it would only give me a few days before deactivating. And i have so much of my schoolwork on this computer, along with programs for school, so i really dont want to have to resort to that. I'm thinking a virus could've slipped in through my teamviewer connection and is disguised as a microsoft startup service. But i'm not tech savy enough to say for sure that it COULD happen.

Thank you for the help though! I've never really had to use a forum before, so im sorry if im sounding rude, i dont mean to be, im just frustrated with this problem. Any response is appreciated! Thanks!

The next place I would look is to set msconfig.exe to create a boot log. If the problem happens after the Windows Logo, it may not catch the problem, but it might point out some driver that is not loading.

I would normally suggest using the Recovery environment (F8) during boot and select the "last known good" option allow the current registry settings to be replaced with an earlier one. You could also use the Restore option if you show one available.

If you can't get there during boot, the install media you could download and burn can be booted and the recovery environment is reachable from there.

Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO from Digital River « My Digital Life

I've already used windows recovery and the startup repair. However i haven't tried looking at the drivers using a boot log. Thanks. I'll try it now.

Back