Windows 7 Fresh Install vista to 7 64 bit upgrade cd

warder

Hello my name is zane

So I will be recieving a windows 7 upgrade disk because I bought a new laptop during the selected months. And I am hoping to clear some things up before I switch from vista

My System:HP Pavilion Dv7 with windows vista 64 bit

Well the thing is I hate almost all the extra junk I was given when I bought the pc.
And I would love to reformat and start with a brand new system running just windows 7.
When ordered the upgrade The technician said I would be able to do a fesh install with the upgrade cd but i'm very skeptical as I have been following the topic here for a while.

I know about the double Install trick and i'm hoping that it's that easy...though if someone could give me clarification that this does still work it would be much appreciated.:)

My next concern is what I wanna save. Basically all I really would like to keep is the mediasmart apps from HP and My drivers. But idk what to do about my recovery partition...

So far my preperations for 7 have been to :
Read up as much as possible about installing fresh with the Upgrade CD
Back up some extra files I want such as music collection and documents
And I used the Back up to disk feature and now I have a set of disks for recovery.

So how should I continue?
Should I reformat my whole HDD and do the double Install? And then Go and install all my drivers by manually finding them on websites and such? I'm confused as to how the system will run with no drivers. Will I be able to download the mediasmart apps from HP?

Or should I just reformat the C drive and do the Install to Just the C and then would I be able to use the recovery manage to install just the selected drivers...though I'm unsure if I would be able to access that program once 7 is installed.

Or can I use the recovery CD's to do this? I think they are just for a full system recovery though

Thanks for reading.. i know it may be more of an HP question and I know it's a Long post but idk who else to go to and I really wanna do this right.

Cheers:)

Hi,

You would be fine to delete all the partitions during the installation. Boot the dvd - follow instructions - Select Drive Options (advanced) on the screen which asks where you want to install and do your partitioning there.

The Upgrade key will be fine with that - no need to double install.

7 has alot of drivers included - and windows update will get more if needed.

Depending on your machine - that might be enough.

To be sure - BEFORE you start to install - visit the manufacturer website and d/l the 7 drivers for your model and put them on cd.

Up to you if want to keep the recovery partition - if you have the recovery discs - you should be able to use those to restore to factory state if you want to sell the pc later, or whatever.

I have no idea what those HP mediasmart apps are - you would need to find out from the HP site how to install them on 7 - if at all possible.

Hello my name is zane

Nice to meet you... I used to watch your theater back in the day.

Should I reformat my whole HDD and do the double Install? And then Go and install all my drivers by manually finding them on websites and such? I'm confused as to how the system will run with no drivers. Will I be able to download the mediasmart apps from HP?

You should get a NEW hard drive... install to it.. then you will have everything backed up.

Don't worry about drivers until you check your Device Manager... or notice something needs attention.

Thank you all for the quick response

The mediasmart apps actually do have some nice features

But I'm pretty much decided as to my route now

I will custom install the upgrade and deleting everything then making 2 partitions..one for recovery and the other for data

could anyone give me an estimate of the recovery partition size i should use?

drivers should be fine thanks:)

Also i was looking at the tutorial on doing a custom install...do i have to create a windows old file with this proccess? is it worth it? i really don't care about anything else on here..nothing important..everything that is will be backed up on cd/dvd

once again thanks:)

Back