Windows 7 Fresh Installs of 7 Crashing Hard After Update

Kross07

Ok, I made this post b/c I am frustrated out of my mind with this issue. I have been working on it for almost 24hrs straight now and have not made any progress. I will first describe the issue, and then I will tell you what I have done on my own to help narrow down the issue.

My system:

EVGA x58 Classified 760 Motherboard (most recent BIOS)
Core i7 920 (overclocked to 4GHZ)
6 gigs of DDR3 Mushkin RAM
GTX 295 (Dual PCB) Videocard
Western Digial Velociraptor 300gig HDD
Seagate 1.5 TB HDD
Water Cooling setup
PC Power and Cooling 1200W PSU

Description:

After a random amount of time in Windows 7 (from 5 mins to 30 mins) I get a straight forward bluescreen. This bluescreen error has been different crashes that seem to change, but then loop back to a previous crash.

For example, it could say PAGED_FILE_IN_A_NON_PAGING_AREA (BCCode: 50), IRQ LESS THAN OR EQUAL ( BCCode: d1) or it could say NTFS.sys error among other errors in between. This issue doesn't seem to favor any actions in particular, but it does happen no matter what I try to do. Safe Mode doesn't seem to crash, but I am not using many drivers in Safe Mode as you know, so that is why I believe the reason may lead to a driver.

I know people claim that they know a lot about computers and are tech savvy, but believe me, I know what I am doing. This system has been rock solid through overclocking since I have bought it. The temps are fine, and the voltages are all within reason. It has never had an issue throughout any other version of Windows 7. (RC1 to RTM and now Retail)

What I have now seen more often happen is that the display driver will stop working, so for instance, the Windows Aero will turn to the basic mode, taking off the transparency, and within 2 mins, the computer will crash to bluescreen.

I have a hard time believing that this is an issue with my hardware, and I will tell you why in a second, but I want to also say, that these issues just recently happened when I purchased the retail verison of Windows 7 Professional from Digital River through the student special. I was running a borrowed copy of the RTM version for months before buying the Retail, and this is when the issues arose.

What I have done to narrow the issue down:

Well, from the research I tried to gather from online sources, I came to the reasoning that it could be RAM or the HDD. Considering I was getting page file errors, and ntfs errors. So I got memtest+ (86) i think? Can't remember specifically, but the most recent ISO image from their site, and ran 3 passes with 0 errors. So more than likely not bad RAM.

Then I thought ok, it still could be bad sectors on the HDD. So I ran western Digitals HDD scanning tool. Ran the full test for the hour time, and it came back with 0 error.

Then I figured while I was there that I would just go ahead and write all 0's to the drive and hopefully that might get rid of any leftoever issues on the HDD for whatever reason.

Fresh install of Windows 7 with a Full Copy I borrowed from a fellow neighbor, and have been running that since.

All this gave no relief to the issue. I have now given up, b/c I believe the issue is bigger than what I can do to try and fix it. If it is not my hardware, then it must be something else right? I even tried the older Video Drivers from Nvidia and see if that would help. Nada.

I am going to try and track down my old Vista x64 disk and use that for the time being, and hopefully it is a known windows 7 x64 issue.

Thanks for taking the time to read and listen to my post, and if you have any insight on what can be done, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks again,

Kris

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Ok, thanks for anyone that looked at my issue. I seemed to figure out that it was actually a bad module of RAM after all. It seems that memtest isn't the best method of seeing faulty RAM. Maybe it didn't see it having an Issue, but Windows sure did. I pulled out the bad stick, and I was able to install Windows 7 back up just fine with no Blue Screens as of writing this post. I will get in contact with Mushkin and start an RMA process.

I hope this post helps anyone else out there pulling out their hair trying to fix this issue, it's not your HDD, it is most likely your RAM,.

Thanks guys.

Kris

Last edited:
Great you resolved it. Now you can run Event Viewer and look at the Administrative logs under custom and find more stuff to work on.

Hahah, I know right. I wouldn't want to have been able to install Windows with 0 errors right?

Do you know how serious this is?

"Performance power management features on processor 4 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware."

There is an error for every core. 1-8.

Not sure how serious this is, or if there is a fix, but maybe it has to do with me re-overclocking the processor. I guess I can start loading up some games and see how stable it is now.

Hahah, I know right. I wouldn't want to have been able to install Windows with 0 errors right?

Do you know how serious this is?

"Performance power management features on processor 4 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware."

There is an error for every core. 1-8.

Not sure how serious this is, or if there is a fix, but maybe it has to do with me re-overclocking the processor. I guess I can start loading up some games and see how stable it is now.

Your bios must need to be flashed to support the multi thread processing feature of windows 7. I had to flash mine.

I have a Gateway with I7 processor.

Oh ok. Very cool. Thanks for the heads up, I guess I will make sure that EVGA has released one for my board or not.

UPDATE: Hmm, I totally updated the BIOS, but the errors still occur. I guess its out of my hands for now.

Last edited:
I did some more research on this issue. It seems that Intel Speedstep needs to be enabled for Windows 7 to properly scale the CPU. I don't know if this works, but I will add on to this post and confirm it.

Back
Top Bottom