Windows 7 Freshly Build Win7 -64bit Computer Blue Screens or freezes randomly. Help Please, I seem to be in ov

rothtastic

I recently build my first computer, using these parts (not sure what you need to know).
Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
CPU - Phenom II X6 1090t black edition Thuban 3.2GHz 
PSU - Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W atx 12v  
Graphics - XFX HD-587X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 X2 (crossfired) 
MOBO -  MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard 
My Issue is that my computer BSOD's on a fairly frequent but random basis. Some days I'll have no problems and then other days my computer will crash several times. Most often its happening when I'm watching youtube videos but it does occasionally occur when my computer is just idle or when I'm looking at word documents. In the case of the youtube videos my computer will also sometimes appear to freeze. Sometimes it will recover, (saying that my ATI driver failed but recovered), other times it will stay frozen, and then sometimes it will crash.
I've looked at some other posts relating to things like this and it seems that many people have had problems with either memory or their video card. I've already tried a few things such as running windows 7 memory diagnostic on my computer (it doesn't find any errors in my memory), as well as updating to several versions of my graphics drivers (specifically the newest ones as well as some older more stable versions, 10.5 for example). After changing drivers I'm still not getting any success on my system.
Generally the BSOD's have a bcc code of either 1a, 1e, 3b, or 7e. I've looked at the dump files with BlueScreenView and to be totally honest I don't know what to make of them. I'm hoping someone here can help me out.
I've posted all the minidumps I believe are related to my problem on skydrive at this link
Link Removed due to 404 Error

I'm not sure if you need any other information to help me out but if I'm missing something please let me know.

Thanks much

Hey there, welcome.

Let's see what we can do. Good chance of success if followed well.

1) Uninstall MSI DualCore Center. This driver is too old:

NTGLM7X64 NTGLM7X64.sys Wed Feb 18 21:28:17 2009

2) Uninstall Daemon Tools. Then to get rid of the notorious sptd.sys, use this installer/uninstaller. Be careful not to update, but rather make sure you remove:

DuplexSecure - Downloads

Reboot and install PowerISO as a replacement. The disc emulation part is free forever and this software is 100% stable:

PowerISO - Create, Edit, Compress, Encrypt, Split, Mount, Extract ISO file, ISO/BIN converter, Virtual Drive

3) Update the video card driver:

atikmpag atikmpag.sys Tue May 04 21:23:24 2010

Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

-----

Let us know how it goes please, and upload new crashes if necessary.

Ok, I'm following your instructions however I can't seem to find MSI DualCore Center in installed programs, the closest thing i seem to have is either Control Center or the BIOS code unlocked technology utility. Am I missing something?

Uninstall MSI Autoboot. Delete this folder after if it is still there:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI\AutoBoot

Reboot.

Ok, so when I tried to uninstall my current graphics card drivers so that I could update to new ones I recieved another blue screen. Its on the skydrive link now, filename is 110610-20685-01.dmp. It was saying something about failing to reset the graphics card and then timing out.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Here's the info

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA80077284E0
BCP2: FFFFF88008E7B694
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Thanks again

You don't ever have to uninstall the previous video driver. Simply install the new one and that's all.

Since you are having errors here though, it's good to use Driver Sweeper from guru3d.com to clear all the NVIDIA video stuff, in safe mode.

Then boot to normal mode and install the latest driver.

Ok, thats good to know. Do you mean ATI when you said NVIDIA. I don't believe I've installed any NVIDIA software onto my computer?

Also, strangely enough, the uninstall completed before the bsod happened. Its as if it finished but then couldn't recover (if thats even possible).
Installing the new drivers now though.

Yep, I meant ATI. I didn't have your crash dumps opened when I replied and somehow defaulted to NVDIA lol.

0x116 happens more often with them and usually, it means a defective card. Not always though. Probably not in this case either.

Alright haha. So I have been reading on other forums that it might be a good idea to update the video card BIOS. To be honest I didn't know that video cards had a BIOS that you could flash. Do you recommend doing such, and how would one go about it if so.

I've done everything posted here. I got another bsod today (code b3 again). I've posted the dmp file here Link Removed due to 404 Error

Download CPU-Z and run it. Post a screen shot of the memory and spd tabs. Use the paperclip above where you type, in advanced mode reply.

The memory is either defective or set unwell in the bios.

We'll see.

K, will do. Just for learning sake, how did you come to the conclusion that the cycle time needed to be 25 instead of 24?

1) Uninstall MSI Live Update. It's driver is ancient and you definitely want that off the system because of that fact and its type:

Code:
4: kd> lmvm flashsys64
start             end                 module name
fffff880`04722000 fffff880`0472b000   FLASHSYS64   (deferred)             
    Image path: \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI\Live Update 4\LU4\FLASHSYS64.sys
    Image name: FLASHSYS64.sys
    Timestamp:        Fri Feb 15 03:00:23 2008 (47B54697)
    CheckSum:         00010C63
    ImageSize:        00009000
    Translations:     0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4

2) Update Realtek HD Audio driver:

RTKVHD64 RTKVHD64.sys Fri Apr 30 05:05:58 2010

Run the installer. Reboot. Run it again:

Realtek

3) Update the NEC USB 3.0 driver from motherboard website:

nusb3hub nusb3hub.sys Tue Feb 23 21:10:14 2010

4) Update video card driver:

atikmdag atikmdag.sys Tue Sep 28 21:41:26 2010

Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

5) Update Realtek lan driver:

Rt64win7 Rt64win7.sys Wed Jun 23 05:10:45 2010

RTL8111

6) If crashes persist, run Memtest86+ overnight, 8-10 passes. If any errors show, replace the RAM. Also post new dumps to be sure the above is taken care of well.

Alright, I've been able to do most of what you said. My graphics driver has been up to date for quite some time now. The only things I haven't been sure of have been the usb 3.0 driver (wasn't able to find it X|) and the lan driver. I went to the realtec link you posted and it just took me to the main page. After looking for a while I found what looked like several possibilities but wasnt sure which one I should pick.

Realtek

Also, I had 2 other crashes. Attached below. I also ran memtest for 9 passes and it found no errors.

memdumps
View attachment 112010-23774-01.dmpView attachment 111410-15990-01.dmp

There have been 2 releases for the video card so you'll want to go ahead and update it.

Install this for the Realtek HD Audio: Realtek

But neither of those are the cause. The cause is defective memory. Replace the RAM in the machine. Before doing so, you can verify by performing step 6 above.

Back
Top Bottom