Google to release Chrome OS this year

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Google said it is planning to release its free Chrome operating system to go head to head with Microsoft Windows, later this year.

Sundar Pichai at CompuTex Taipei, Asia's biggest IT trade show said the OS will be available in the Autumn and he expects it to be downloaded by millions of users on day one. The open source operating system is based on the Chrome browser, which is designed to work exclusively with web applications. It will be available for laptops first.

It is unlikely that take-up will be that dramatic. Firstly the OS has to be adopted by hardware makers and secondly people have to be able to run the software they know and love on it. Google wants to break Microsoft's Windows monopoly of the operating system, which currently runs on more than 90 per cent of PCs.

Redmond said that that software developers would have to create different versions of the same application for different brands, which is something they cannot be bothered doing. Google said that since its operating system is more web focused the majority of software will run on it fine. We guess the games market could be dealt with by the likes of Steam and other cloudish based stuff.

Ref: Link Removed due to 404 Error

Why in the hell have I not seen this yet......Damn I'm looking forward to this! BTW error 404 on link in your post. Looking forward to the read.

Bugger! Same here.. I think it's because the fudzilla site has recently upgraded their site so the page probably doesn't exist anymore?

This has been rumored since the internet browser Chrome was first released - I honestly don't see it happening anytime soon, if ever.

Last I heard the "Alpha" release last february was for Netbooks only. Here's a free link to the "Beta" from Google Chrome EU. Link Removed - Invalid URL

(It can be made into a CD)

I hope Google never joins the OS market. It's just not their battle.
Leave it to the Mac/Windows/Linux fan boys.

Though it is worth noting the source code is openly available Link Removed due to 404 Error

To the best I have observed till now Google Chrome OS will be a plus for those who are always online........Or they have a mostly Online stuff......

I'll stick with Windows 7. Stable, fast and the Windows OS yet.

I don't think the Google OS will have much of an impact at all, if any.

I'll stick with Windows 7. Stable, fast and the Windows OS yet.

I don't think the Google OS will have much of an impact at all, if any.

Well you never know.. Android jumped to the top of the smartphone market fairly quick.. But this project definitely does not seem to be one of Google's top priorities at this time, I mean we've been waiting for it for years really.

Back