Windows 7 Got a rather nasty network problem

lorenkjr1

Extraordinary Member
I have two machine an OS X Macbook Pro with OS X 10.6 and a desktop with Windows 7. I am sharing a printer thats on the Mac (which I don't want it there), and the Windows 7 desktop. As noted I don't want the printer on the laptop but, rather on the desktop, whereby therein lies the problem. I can not get Windows 7 to share the printer with the Mac. But, I can get the printer on the Mac shared easily with the Windows 7 desktop. Are there any good tutorials that explain fully sharing a printer from Windows 7 to OS X 10.6? For the life of me I do not see why it is so difficult. It should be easy as pie but, it's not as I have found out.

It may be an issue with Windows 7 using NTLMv2 and 128 bit encryption. If you have Windows 7 Pro or above open the Security Policy Editor by typing secpol.msc into the search or run dialog box and make the edits as noted in the attachment and see if that helps. If you are using Home Premium post back with the info and I'll supply a registry edit that will do the same thing if you are comfortable editing the registry.

Last edited:
Yeah I am usng Home Premium. Anything you need from me. I sure appreciate this, as I had to think I was going to live with the printer on the laptop. I knew it was something I knew nothing about.

To adjust the NTLMv2 compatability level see the attachment.
Open regedit by typing it into the search or run dialog box look for the following key
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
Highlight and make edit to right pane as shown, reboot for edit to take effect. You may still have an issue with 128 bit encryption, I looking for that registry key now, let me know if you will need it by posting back with your results.

Last edited:
If you still need it, you can adjust the network session security encryption level here see attachment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom