Got my new computer Windows security is driving my crazy.

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I'm setting up my new computer, but Windows is blocking things that I don't want it to, for one thing it will not let any program place shortcuts on the desktop which actually stopped one program from installing.

This is a typical message that I'm seeing...

Unauthorized Changes Blocked.
Controlled folder access blocked
C:\Program...\Soffice.bin from making changes to the folder % UserProfile% \Documents.

I don't know what to change to get it to let this through.
I got this message for virtually every piece of software that I installed.
The only effect I can see is that none of them created a desktop icon even though they were all set to do so.

I also see this message all the time while installing software....

IpetsistFile::Save failed; code 0x80070002 The system cannot find the file specified.

Maybe what I need to do is just turn off Windows Security until I'm done installing stuff?

Any help appreciated.

Mike

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
0002 is obviously file not found which means WSC is removing it. Worst case turn of WSC.

From an elevated powershell prompt you can disable "Controlled Folder Access"
Set-MpPreference -EnableControlledFolderAccess Disabled

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
Looks like there's also a way to add/remove which folders are protected by the ControlledFolderAccess, so if you want to re-enable it you could just exclude your desktop.

Get-MpPreference you will see a ControlledFolderAccessProtectedFolders property. You'd need to remove the desktop from that I would assume.

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I tried the first one, I'll see if it makes a difference.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.