Grub Rescue

Another item on my list of annoyances, is an old one. When I access a Windows partition, it of course requires a password, but if I check the box for it to remember the password makes no difference, it will still require the password again for every Windows partition separately, and even though I do not have the check box marked to limit the logon to only that session, it will require all of the same logons again after rebooting. What purpose, if any does those check boxes really have?

Another problem has popped up. When I booted into Suse, the entire Taskbar was grayed out, the icons were barely visible. I did a forced restart, and it looked like there was two taskbars, one above the other. When I clicked on the upper section, the Taskbar went to gray again. On the third boot, I got the double Taskbar again, but if I'm very careful not to touch the upper section, the taskbar remains visible and functional.

I don't know that it is the cause, but since the last time I booted Suse, my secondary monitor failed, and I' awaiting an adapter to connect another. Is it possible that it is displaying both the secondary monitor's Taskbar and the primary Taskbar on the primary monitor at the same time? If so, how do I get rid of it? If not, how do I resolve the problem?

EDIT: Problem solved...I think. I used the remove panel option and it worked. I tried that the first time and it removed the Taskbar altogether. Maybe I just was clumsy about it...don't know. I'll try another reboot and see what happens.

I've been trying to figure our how to adjust the cursor speed on my Logitech Trackman and M570 mice without any luck. The closest I've found is how to set pointer acceleration, but not the actual speed. Checking the wizard's mouse receiver tab, everything is grayed out, and it has a message regarding possible permissions problem, which can be seen in the screenshot below:

mouse.png

How is this to be rectified?

I have the exact same mouse (the M750) and if you just bought it you will need to break it in for it to work more properly.
This has nothing to do with the OS and more or less wearing into the mouse in.

No, the mouse isn't new, in fact I'm about to send it in for an RMA. However the current condition has nothing to do with the problem, because it was the same before it started showing problems, and the problem has nothing to do with the Trackball, it is that the left button has worn out. Also I have the same issue with the Cordless Optical Trackman Wheel mouse, which is much older than the M570. Neither mouse has this problem in Windows. I tend to believe that the problem relates to the permissions problem with the receiver that I posted about in the last message.

How about moving the receiver?
I had to do that for both ends are even windows had trouble if the receiver was out of range.
I had troubles on both ends, but YMMV.
Sometimes I can get the receiver far away and it will do just fine on both ends, I think the issue is more from the range of the mouse which seems tiny and pathetic sometimes.

Receiver position is sometimes a problem with the Trackman, which has a corded receiver, but even then it doesn't effect the cursor control in this fashion, it is just that the receiver or the mouse has to be moved for it to work at all. The unified receiver of the M570 has never had this problem. That is the primary reason I prefer the M570 over the Trackman. My question remains the same as before...how do I solve the apparent permissions problem with the receiver?

fixing the permissions wont really fix your issue though, if you want to change the cursor speed its in the advanced tab of that screen you gave (the input devices section of the systemsettings)

I find nothing on the advanced tab that appears to be for setting the cursor speed. I do see pointer acceleration (which I did set far above default...with no change noticeable). If there really is a way to control it on that tab, how about some specific instructions?

mouse1.png

Yeah the pointer speed is the pointer acceleration option in the kde system settings.
You may not notice any change until you log out.
just dont ramp it up too high as it could make the cursor fly too much

Whether it would solve this problem or not, I would like to fix the permissions issue...how is it to be done?

I would actually ignore the permission issue, the section you pictured initially doesnt even do the function you desire, its for the receiver and altering that wont change how the device operates.
I have no issue with mine on openSUSE, it flies on my end.
Though its strange pointer acceleration didnt work, usually that does the trick.
Your mouse must be in bad shape and you just dont know it as windows usually masks such issues in proprietary software and drivers.

I'm glad it works for you, but that doesn't change the situation here. I do not believe the problem is due to the condition of the mice receivers, because the problem is the same regardless of which I try. It might be a waste of time, but why do you resist answering my question regarding permissions? Whether it would work or not, I doubt that it would be any worse than now.

Well I would not want to give your hopes up.
In any case the pest way to solve a permissions issue like this is to use the terminal, one of the few times its actually your best option due to the separation of the main user from the administrator in linux.
in the terminal use this command: sudo systemsettings
or alternately kdesu systemsettings if the above doesnt work
Both commands will open the KDE control center in administrator mode, just type in your (administrator) password in when prompted.

You were partially correct. Using the terminal didn't change anything regarding cursor speed on the Trackman, but it did at least allow me to read the battery condition, which wasn't possible by accessing it without the terminal. However it only reads the battery condition of the Trackman, and not the M570. I did get the M570 cursor speed up by moving the receiver to a different port, but the Trackman is as slow as ever. Due to some unrelated issues with the M570, I need to fix the Trackman, but none of the other options on that tab are functional. The DPI and Channel controls are grayed out. Not sure that either of these mice are designed for those functions though.

Yeah I dont know what to tell you.
Like I said the sad part about most hardware is that in windows they give you a proprietary app that only works with windows and no other OS which can be a detriment.
Not saying the device cant or wont work properly in linux but when things like the receiver starts to go its often more noticable in the linux end due to it not having that special proprietary software.
Will this deter you from exploring linux farther?
Or is it managable?
Just keep in mind most issues like this are no fault of linux, blame this nonsense on logitech

Back