Windows 7 Had Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 before, got new one, can't connect

derek499

I had a Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 before with my Windows 7 HP laptop and it worked great, but then I lost it. So I bought a new one and put fresh batteries in it, but I can't pair it. I think the computer is trying to connect to the old one, but I can't delete the old mouse - I uninstall it from the Device Manager and all other options that I know of, but it still shows up (I believe the old one) in My Bluetooth.

I have also gone to Services and set Bluetooth Support to Automatic, but that didn't help. I have tried to pair it with the "0000" password that Microsoft recommends with the mouse, and have also tried entering nothing (no "no password" option given that I can see) but to no avail. Yes, I have the mouse in pairing mode with the green and red light alternate flashing. Any idea how to reinstall the mouse? Thanks.

You should be able to remove the old mouse from the Devices and Printers dialog window. If you lost it, could it be sitting nearby?

If you have your system looking for devices in the Bluetooth dialog and you have the mouse set for discovery, it should be recognized. I have not had to put in a password for a Mouse, but do have to type something for a keyboard.

Have you done a complete shutdown and restart recently?

I don't see it in the Devices and Printers window - I forget if I deleted it from there or not - I don't recall doing so. I guess it's possible that the mouse is nearby, but it has an auto-off feature if it isn't used for a few minutes, at which point it disconnects from the computer signal, so I doubt the laptop is picking it up. I have restarted in the past day or so.

If I go to My Bluetooth, with the mouse turned off there is nothing listed. If I turn it on and make the mouse discoverable, it appears in the list, but when I click "Secure Pair" and enter the "0000" PIN, I get a pop-up saying "Pairing operation failed."

OK, this is what I just did with a 5000 mouse.

When I put the batteries in, the dialog box came up with the pairing option. I cancelled out of that.

Went to the Bluetooth "Add a device" dialog and let the system start searching. Then I held down the button to get the red and green led.

The system immediately saw the mouse, I selected it, hit next and the drivers were installed. The paring number dialog did not open again after I cancelled out of it the first time.

I took the batteries out and turned the mouse on, but did not get a pairing pop-up. Went to My Bluetooth, didn't see an option to add a bluetooth device, so went to Devices and Printers >> Add a device. Made the mouse discoverable... doesn't show up in the list. I've done that before - the only thing it sees is my printer, which is already connected.

Not sure why the mouse doesn't show up under "Add a device", but then does show up in My Bluetooth. So counterintuitive!

Maybe I did not say it right, but I wanted you to follow my directions directly.

Since you do not show a Bluetooth mouse installed on your system follow these steps. If you do not know where something is or do not have it, post back.

Turn on the Bluetooth mouse. A window should pop up with the "enter code" type of box. Cancel out or close that box. You do not want to use it.

Go to the system tray and hit the up arrow and right click the Bluetooth icon. Select "Add a device".

While the computer is searching, hold down the discovery button on the mouse until the red and green leds start flashing. After a second or so, the mouse should show in the dialog box. Highlight it and select next. When you do that, the drivers will be installed.

If you do not have a System tray icon for Bluetooth, it does not seem to work from the start menu. If this is the case, advise, but you may need to reinstall some drivers, or there may be some services that need to be running like bthserv My tray icon may be controlled by a Process called AthBtTray.exe, of course yours may be different.

Last edited:
I have some different options/menus from you. When I turn on the Bluetooth mouse, a window does not pop up. When I go to the system tray and right-click the Bluetooth icon, there is no "Add a device" option. I have: Open My Bluetooth, My Received Files (which has a sub-menu with Open My Received Files and Open Receiving Window), My Bluetooth Settings, Disable Bluetooth, and About....

The only place I have seen "Add a device" is in the Devices and Printers menu, but it doesn't show my mouse when I try to add one, even when the mouse is discoverable.

Any way to manually uninstall and reinstall the drivers? I looked for a download but couldn't find one. I've uninstalled the mouse from the Device Manager but not sure if that did the trick.

Thanks,
Derek

Who makes your driver? Since mine is obviously different, I will try to check yours.

But it seems on my system, the normal Add a Device does not look for Bluetooth devices. I will try to find a way to search for the device, but since you have a different system, I may not be able to.

Ok, maybe an alternative. Open Control Panel and type Bluetooth in the search box. Under Devices and Printers do you show "Add a Bluetooth Device"?

I am now getting different results from different windows after I already installed the mouse once. I even turned the mouse on and then selected add a device from the printers window and it saw the mouse. This last time, I set the mouse to discovery prior to opening the Printers and Devices window-add a device and the mouse was found.

A mouse uses the HID services, so hopefully those are running. Hidserv in task manager services.

Motorola... is that what I'm looking for?

When I search for Bluetooth in the Control Panel, I get 3 options: My Bluetooth (which I've attacked from all angles), Devices and Printers (under which is only an option to View Devices and Printers), and Network and Sharing Center. I've tried adding the mouse in all of these, but no luck. There is nothing about Bluetooth per se in Devices and Printers.

I went to the Services Manager and didn't see Hidserv. Do you know how to see if this is running?

Under Services the Hidserv should show as running in Task Manager (or services.msc). At least on mine it does. If it doesn't show running, right click and try to start. Then try installing again.

I seems like you need to install another driver or administrative utility. I will check with Motorola.

Last edited:
It's not listed at all there. I think I remember seeing it somewhere and I believe I deleted it a couple days ago thinking it was the old mouse. Shoot... is this something that would come with Windows? I just got this laptop about 3 months ago and I don't think it came with Windows 7 discs (it doesn't have a CD/DVD drive anyway). I was having issues connecting before I deleted that, though.

Thank you so much for all your help so far. :) :thumbs_up: I would normally live without it but this touchpad really sucks (HP one on a 11.6" laptop).

It is usually hard to tell if something is actually missing from a system. You might check the attachment and see if you show either of the items underlined.

Until tomorrow, maybe you could open an administrative command prompt and type the following with enter after. It will take a few minutes.

SFC /scannow

This will check your system files and hopefully replace any that are not correct. If you get any error messages, make note of them. [To open an administrative command prompt, type cmd in the start menu search box, then hit CTRL+Shift+Enter and agree to allow.]

Attachments

• Bluetooth.GIF
    Bluetooth.GIF
    60.8 KB · Views: 790
Ah ok... I do have Bluetooth Support Service, which I had earlier changed to Automatic after reading that some people had success with that. I have changed it back to Manual. I also located the Human Interface Device Access - I was looking for "Hidserv" before. That is also set to Manual. However, after making sure both of these are set to Manual, I still have the problem.

I do have a couple other Bluetooth-related services: "Bluetooth Device Manager", "Bluetooth Media Service", and "Bluetooth OBEX Service." Do you know what these should be set to? I had set them all to Automatic before after reading of other people's successes... I think before one of these was Automatic and the rest were Manual, but I forget which ones were which. Sigh... I probably should have posted here before messing with all this stuff, but I wanted to try all possible solutions before bugging someone.

I tried to run SFC/scannow but it says I have to be an administrator. I tried pressing Ctrl+Shift+Enter but it doesn't seem to have any effect on anything.

To get an administrative command prompt, you type cmd in the search box on the start menu then CTRL+SHIFT+Enter. Or you can go to All Programs-Accessories-Command Prompt and right click and select Run as Admin.

The Bluetooth Device Manager sounds interesting, but I do not know how to access it.

I was looking for the Motorola mice and it seems some use a blinking blue light to designate discover. But probably a different model.

The only other thing I would want to check is the Bluetooth radios you have in the Device Manager. I have two. The first is an ASUS one, which would be system specific, and the second is a Microsoft Bluetooth enumerator.

Aside from that and reminding you to have the mouse close to the Bluetooth transponder and remember WiFi can interfere with Bluetooth, I am pretty well out of ideas. If you are following the install instructions, I can't see why it isn't being seen.

Ok, I was able to run the scan. It fixed some things, but I am unable to access the log file so I have no idea what it fixed.

Just to clarify, it's not a Motorola mouse, it's a Microsoft one. My bluetooth radio in the computer was made by Motorola.

Frustrating as hell, but I really appreciate your efforts in tracking this down. Thanks a lot!!! If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know.
To get an administrative command prompt, you type cmd in the search box on the start menu then CTRL+SHIFT+Enter. Or you can go to All Programs-Accessories-Command Prompt and right click and select Run as Admin.

The Bluetooth Device Manager sounds interesting, but I do not know how to access it.

I was looking for the Motorola mice and it seems some use a blinking blue light to designate discover. But probably a different model.

The only other thing I would want to check is the Bluetooth radios you have in the Device Manager. I have two. The first is an ASUS one, which would be system specific, and the second is a Microsoft Bluetooth enumerator.

Aside from that and reminding you to have the mouse close to the Bluetooth transponder and remember WiFi can interfere with Bluetooth, I am pretty well out of ideas. If you are following the install instructions, I can't see why it isn't being seen.

WOOT I got it to work!! I searched for the name of the Motorola bluetooth driver I had installed and found it on HP's site. So then I uninstalled that driver and downloaded/reinstalled it. Upon doing that, it was able to pair with the mouse. Then I just had to go to My Bluetooth, right-click the mouse and click Explore, then click Connect next to Human Interface Device to reinstall that driver, then it worked!

Thanks again for your help, Saltgrass. :p

Back
Top Bottom