Windows 7 Hate to say it but Windows 7 sucks in my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, making sure there. I didn't want to put you out, just wanted to make sure you saw the good things about it. DOS is still usefull, just wouldn't use it as a consumer or main OS LoL

I'm wondering if Sirloynes is a pseudonym for a certain Ms Borman...lol

I Just read a few posts from Andrea Borman....It makes me wonder how one becomes a Senior Member. Thinking IE could be taken out of Windows by deleting an exe. Not being able to add extensions to a web browser. Not having simple understanding of how to use software. I don't want to get rude or crude so I will leave it at that. But if that is who you are talking about, I think I kinda get it. LoL

I Just read a few posts from Andrea Borman....It makes me wonder how one becomes a Senior Member. Thinking IE could be taken out of Windows by deleting an exe. Not being able to add extensions to a web browser. Not having simple understanding of how to use software. I don't want to get rude or crude so I will leave it at that. But if that is who you are talking about, I think I kinda get it. LoL

That's the person. On top of that she doesn't believe in using antivirus software!
Joe

You know GNU is almost virus proof, but I still wont run an install with out a virus scanner. I have said it before, I rather waste 512 MB of the 12 GB of RAM I have, instead of being that one person that forgot to do something and got a virus. Some may call me over protective, but in the 21 years of playing with computers, I have never gotten a virus or malware, that I didn't expect to. I have done my share of stupid things, mostly wraped around using not so legal software. So that was all my fault. I still can't believe there are people out there that think like that. One of my biggest hang ups was her research. Windows Firefox, Linux Firefox, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Flock, Windows Flock, where is she getting these applications? Then saying that all but Mozilla Firefox is open source and not as good, so don't use them. Blew my mind. I'm not trying to be harsh, it's just I don't understand how people can be like that. I was a slacker and screw up in my younger years, but now I think I would go crazy if I couldn't do research and learn.

I think he should get a W7 pro machine, put his copy of XP in a virtual box or in 98 or 95 or heaven help us DOS 6 or windows 3.11. I think he would be able to live in the past to his hearts content. Progress go forward if you do not go forward with it, you will soon wither on the vine and drop to the ground as rotten fruit.

I think your regression is a little much, don't you? "What... you don't like Windows 7? Well, go bang 2 rocks together then!"

I gotta admit I often find the flowery examples in the replies very humourous, and they sometimes rekindle old memories of days gone by that I'd long forgotten due to being spoilt by modern tech's ease of use.

Yea I feel you on that Highway, I was working on a computer for a client, that wanted to play really old games. She was doing a project in school about the history of gaming. I installed Windows 98, and found myself looking for the my computer in the start menu, so that I could get to the manage window. LoL I was like, how the hell did I ever do this before. LoL

hell I even struggle to remember Vista and thats very similar to Win7 lol, and I often get dumped with laptops running XP (pre sp editions) to fix and my god how I hate XP's limp methods... it does most of the same things as newer OS's but its like comparing those damned frozen excuses of yorkshire puddings to real home made ones... just leaves a really hollow tasting experience in your mouth

it does most of the same things as newer OS's but its like comparing those damned frozen excuses of yorkshire puddings to real home made ones... just leaves a really hollow tasting experience in your mouth

LMAO

I have no idea what a yourshire pudding is

LMAO

We should get the thread back on topic. Looking forward to more why windows 7 sucks posts.

My experience with Windows 7 has so far been flawless. Is a fast and smooth experience. It's definitely the most stable windows yet. Not 1 BSOD seen even through beta testing.

All my problem with Windows 7 came after the final release. Few games not working right, but for the most part works just fine.

Most of the problems I see is people loading Windows 7 on a doggy old XP box then whining about memory usage,how slow it is and aero doesn't work. The next common thing is people trying to use really outdated hardware and software especially on new 64 bit installs.
Joe

Yea, that is a problem. Back when Vista first started coming out, I can understand some of the people getting mad. They where told it will run Vista, but the where not told it wont run Aero, or that the 32 Bit wont use past 3 GB of RAM, when they bought 4 or more. That is the only complaints I can see as holding water.

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
AMD Phenom II X4 820 Socket AM3 w/plenty of cache
nVIDIA GeForce 9100 PCI 256 MB DDR SDRAM 64-bit w/CUDA
8192 MB DDR3 PC3-10600 SDRAM Kingstons

I don't know why you guys continually act like people don't know what their talking about, granted that some may not but instead of just being biased offer a solution or at least an explaination. The main problem in my opinion and this probably will continue to be a problem in future versions of Windows is Microsoft constantly changing everything. New frameworks, platforms, hardware, programming languages are comming out constantly. It used to be you by a computer and it, for the most part, worked and sure you get errors but software actually ran and you didn't need to update every couple months. I've been using Windows since v95 and so far I have possibly had the most issues with my Windows 7. It is a beutiful OS with many new features but it just sucks with all the changes done many applications just cannot run on it. When average people buy a computer they have always expected everything to run and all software for Windows to work on Windows. This is no longer the case because many still in use legacy apps run on Win95/98 and sometimes up to XP. Now you have to make sure it's compatible with Vista and or Windows 7 and the many .net frameworks and hardware wise (x64). Address space layout randomization (ASLR), DEP, and the rebasing of many important APIs make it hard for me to do what I want (although they are supposed to protect apps) to do not to mention they can break software. Plus the multitude of API changes has made it almost essential to reprogram and compile all your software to continue on the MS train. This is why we are here 2+ years past Windows 7 initial release date and about a year away from the release of the next version of Windows and we are still having compatibility issues. Not to mention has anyone ever had the compatibility mode actually work for them? So it really sucked to go out and buy this computer and once starting it up I wanted to put some of my favorite applications on it only to find out most experience wierd problems or their not supported. Take for instance you want to develope a piece of software and sell it but you don't want people pirating it so you decide to look for a software packer/protector. Good luck finding a decent one out of the hundreds that work on Win7 x64. Most are just starting to get support for x64 and .net. Oh yeah and the next version of Windows is going to change all the same crap again and add more development platforms. They started to learn off Google (copying as usual) by seeing simple stable designs work, hence the theme of Windows 7 is simple. All in all they got to decide on something because this changing it up all the time is getting hard to keep up for everyone. I'm really not excited anymore to find out why they changed the name of the Start button or a "Personal"/"Library"/whatever it's called now folder. Make something that works and stick with it! KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

All said, Windows 7 and upcoming versions do show promise but lack in stability.

nVIDIA GeForce 9100 PCI 256 MB DDR SDRAM 64-bit w/CUDA
8192 MB DDR3 PC3-10600 SDRAM Kingstons

Graphics cards use GDDR not DDR SD. From what I know GDDR is faster and is not synchronous. Also the RAM is types are said as PC3-10600/DDR3 SD. Though you where close enough that I knew what you meant. Just informing you so that some other jack *** wont make fun of you.

I don't know why you guys continually act like people don't know what their talking about, granted that some may not but instead of just being biased offer a solution or at least an explaination.

A lot of people don't know or are given bad information. I have not problems teaching people as long as they are willing to listen. If I don't know an answer to a problem the I wont comment on the subject, or I will do research before hand.

The main problem in my opinion and this probably will continue to be a problem in future versions of Windows is Microsoft constantly changing everything. New frameworks, platforms, hardware, programming languages are comming out constantly.

Microsoft changes some things, but for the most part things stay the same. Vista was the first major change in the kernel to, I will be so bold to say, Windows 95. XP was based on 2000, and 2000 was based on NT 4.0. So even though they had additions, it was basically the same foundation as NT 4.0. It can be argued why they did such a huge change on Vista, but whatever you believe, Vista is the first Microsoft consumer OS with a 64 bit kernel that wasn't a second thought.

It used to be you by a computer and it, for the most part, worked and sure you get errors but software actually ran and you didn't need to update every couple months. I've been using Windows since v95 and so far I have possibly had the most issues with my Windows 7.

Windows 95 is a name, not a version number, so it goes Windows 95 version 4.00.950 C. Update ever couple months? That should be more like every couple days. Microsoft comes out with patches so much that its best to keep on the ball all the time. Granted I know I use a monkey but load of software, but if I waited a month, I would have a Gig of patches to get. Computers just ran, not so much. Going further back there where more and more times when, not just me but others, computers would just crash for no reason other than the CD drive didn't finish reading correctly.

It is a beutiful OS with many new features but it just sucks with all the changes done many applications just cannot run on it. When average people buy a computer they have always expected everything to run and all software for Windows to work on Windows. This is no longer the case because many still in use legacy apps run on Win95/98 and sometimes up to XP. Now you have to make sure it's compatible with Vista and or Windows 7

Most of the time when people start talking about how software wont work on a Windows, either they use Legacy mono user software, or expect to run 16/32 Bit software that is not compatible with 64 Bit systems. New features are going to come out on software all the time, some good, some indifferent, some bad. The responsibility of techs is not to love it and use it, but learn it enough to support others that don't know how to use it. A few of my teachers hate Windows Vista, but know the ins and outs of it, and can run circles around people when it comes to working with it.

and the many .net frameworks and hardware wise (x64). Address space layout randomization (ASLR), DEP, and the rebasing of many important APIs make it hard for me to do what I want (although they are supposed to protect apps)to do not to mention they can break software.

The amount of .net software you have on your computer is irrelevent. The only thing .net dose, if not used by spacific software, is increase the size of your Windows itself. Things like Address Space Randomization is conpletely OS driven. Being that the OS is what is responsable for putting anything in to RAM, disk, or where ever it goes, there is not separation between OS and feature. The only thing I can see hurting any thing would be DEP. Most of DEP is run by the processor, that would not be the OS that has the problem. Also you can disable DEP on sertin processes that have problems with it.

Plus the multitude of API changes has made it almost essential to reprogram and compile all your software to continue on the MS train. This is why we are here 2+ years past Windows 7 initial release date and about a year away from the release of the next version of Windows and we are still having compatibility issues.

There are plenty of other programing software out that will write software, that will run on XP up to 7. Microsoft is not the only people that make programing software. Look on TuCows or SourceForge, there are plenty of alternatives.

Not to mention has anyone ever had the compatibility mode actually work for them? So it really sucked to go out and buy this computer and once starting it up I wanted to put some of my favorite applications on it only to find out most experience wierd problems or their not supported. Take for instance you want to develope a piece of software and sell it but you don't want people pirating it so you decide to look for a software packer/protector. Good luck finding a decent one out of the hundreds that work on Win7 x64. Most are just starting to get support for x64 and .net.

That's not true at all. There are plenty of protection softwares out that work on Vista/7, if it be 32 or 64 Bit. It is all aobut what company you go with. Nothing has to be .net compatable, just becaue it is on the system. .net is only an addition to the OS.

Oh yeah and the next version of Windows is going to change all the same crap again and add more development platforms. They started to learn off Google (copying as usual) by seeing simple stable designs work, hence the theme of Windows 7 is simple.

That is the evolution of things. New things are added and old are taken out. That is just how the world works. Most things in Windows are ment to be simple. Microsofts diffinition of user friendly is generic for all users, novice to expert.

All in all they got to decide on something because this changing it up all the time is getting hard to keep up for everyone. I'm really not excited anymore to find out why they changed the name of the Start button or a "Personal"/"Library"/whatever it's called now folder. Make something that works and stick with it! KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

All said, Windows 7 and upcoming versions do show promise but lack in stability.

Change is the way life is, and keeping up can be difficult. Though the people that need to be most concerned with keeping up is the ones that care enough to do the research and spend the time to keep up. Microsoft didn't change the name of the Start Menu, they just took the word start off of it. It can be added back, just have to use some software like ResourceEditor to do it. I think you are speaking of Personalize when you say Personal. That's just a didffrent name for properties, no real diffrence. Library is a huge change to the foundation. Not only are there local directories but HomeGroup directories as well. The ability to connect directly to another computer over the network, as if it was on the same machine, is great. Just a little bit of my knowledge for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back