Windows 7 Having issues with administrator user account

Rattler

I got a new laptop today and the dude at the computer store had set up my account which is showing as my name and it says that it the administrator. There is only one user account that I can see. This is my virgin foray into Windows 7.

I managed to get it to read the drives on my home network. When I go to delete a file or if I try to save a file I opened (excel in this case) it says I don't have rights to do so. In the case of the delete I can select "as administrator" and it will delete it but saving the excel I am having to save as a copy.

I searched through threads that had info about administrator but there are so many threads that I can't find the answer I am looking for.

I have some beta software that I am testing that I really need to get on here but I have to deactivate on the old laptop first.

I went to control panel - user accounts but can't see what is wrong. I was ok at XP and I was lucky enough to be able to skip past Vista. I hope the learning curve is not too long as I just want to get this thing working. I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

I'm having a similar issue on my own. my user does not have write, modify, or full control access to anything in the C drive. All events can be elevated as long as the program supports getting elevated permissions. the C drive itself says the access has been changed, but all of the folders within C disagree.

I found the answer while preparing this post actually.

The solution for mine (hopefully yours) was to right click on each primary folder and select "properties" then "security" tab. Go to your user name and you should see some check marks are incorrect. Select "Advanced". Goto the "owner" tab of the new window and click "edit." From there, choose your user name and check mark the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects followed by "OK."

You'll have a pop-up that says "You do not have permission to read the contents of directory X:\xxx\xxx. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?" just hit "Yes" Hit "ok" all the way back to the main Security tab of the properties window.

From here you should now be able to hit "Edit." From here, choose your user name and click "Full Control" on the permissions section followed by "OK". That should finish it. You may have to restart a couple times in the process.

Back
Top Bottom