Windows 8 Having problems updating Windows/ Control panel crashes

RainbowNipTips

I had a program called StartIsBack installed on my computer, and after deciding that it was not needed, I removed it. Recently, when I log in, I can see that there are updates available to Windows. However, when I try to enter Windows Update in Control Panel it either does not load and crashes, or loads in, shows me that there are 5 important, 4 unimportant updates, and (control panel)freezes when I hit install.

Things I've tried

I've ran CCleaner, and Malwarebytes, and retried to no avail.

Tried booting into safe mode, and then updating it

I've tried using a system restore, and got an error code. I can't remember what it was, but when I googled it, I saw that it was related to Windows update somehow, maybe a missing file.

I've tried refreshing Windows; it freezes when I do it from within the system, and I got an error message saying the drive was locked when I tried via my OEM disk at startup.

Any ideas?

Hi

Try opening the Command Prompt as Administrator and typing SFC /scannow and hit enter, let it search for corrupted system files and repair them.

It sounds like something in your system is corrupted of missing someplace.

One of the things I like least about Windows 8 is the inability to do a system restore of the OS without deleting all your files.
Something that was easy to do in Windows 7.

Mike

I have had not much of a problem, the files such as ccleaner and etc.... are easy to replace. It keeps the icon on the desktop and all you have to do is click on it to reinstall. As far as documents, pictures and my music I have been able to keep them. Here is a link to making a recovery on your computer.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/04/refresh-and-reset-your-pc.aspx

I prefer doing this rather than a conventional system restore.

I should have said files and software.
The refresh option, at least as I understand it won't restore any of your software except for Windows 8 apps.

I am not sure about that either. I do know that it doesn't affect my Office 2007 or my camera software I installed.

Hi

This is from Microsoft...

Warning

• Apps you installed from websites and DVDs will be removed. Apps that came with your PC and apps you installed from the Windows Store will be reinstalled. Windows puts a list of removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

Back
Top Bottom