Windows 8 Having problems updating Windows/ Control panel crashes

RainbowNipTips

I had a program called StartIsBack installed on my computer, and after deciding that it was not needed, I removed it. Recently, when I log in, I can see that there are updates available to Windows. However, when I try to enter Windows Update in Control Panel it either does not load and crashes, or loads in, shows me that there are 5 important, 4 unimportant updates, and (control panel)freezes when I hit install.

Things I've tried

I've ran CCleaner, and Malwarebytes, and retried to no avail.

Tried booting into safe mode, and then updating it

I've tried using a system restore, and got an error code. I can't remember what it was, but when I googled it, I saw that it was related to Windows update somehow, maybe a missing file.

I've tried refreshing Windows; it freezes when I do it from within the system, and I got an error message saying the drive was locked when I tried via my OEM disk at startup.

Any ideas?

Hi

Try opening the Command Prompt as Administrator and typing SFC /scannow and hit enter, let it search for corrupted system files and repair them.

It sounds like something in your system is corrupted of missing someplace.

One of the things I like least about Windows 8 is the inability to do a system restore of the OS without deleting all your files.
Something that was easy to do in Windows 7.

Mike

I should have said files and software.
The refresh option, at least as I understand it won't restore any of your software except for Windows 8 apps.

I am not sure about that either. I do know that it doesn't affect my Office 2007 or my camera software I installed.

Hi

This is from Microsoft...

Warning

• Apps you installed from websites and DVDs will be removed. Apps that came with your PC and apps you installed from the Windows Store will be reinstalled. Windows puts a list of removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

Back