Windows 7 Headphones not working

mallikarjun64

Hi

I have a problem switching from speakers to headphones in Windows 7. When I plug in my headphones the speakers don't mute and also there is no sound in headphones. Each time I have to make headphones as the default device to listen only thru headphones. Is there any solution to this problem? I'm using a TOSHIBA Satellite A135-S4677 latop.

Last edited:
Update to the latest drivers for your sound card and then try it again. That is what i had to do. Update the realtek hi-def codecs as well.

I had this same issue on my toshiba laptop, just right click on the little speaker icon next to the time and date in taskbar, and select "Playback Devices" once you get there you should see speakers and headphones as your sound devices, just change default to headphones and from there once you remove the headphone plug it'll go back speakers being default and vice versa when you plug headphones back in.

Hope this helps

I had this same issue on my toshiba laptop, just right click on the little speaker icon next to the time and date in taskbar, and select "Playback Devices" once you get there you should see speakers and headphones as your sound devices, just change default to headphones and from there once you remove the headphone plug it'll go back speakers being default and vice versa when you plug headphones back in.

Hope this helps

Mate thanks a lot. I've also got a Toshiba Satellite laptop and didn't realise how much I use the headphones in my laptop when watching stuff late at night.

You'd get shocked but i had the same problem and it turned into normal without me doing anything :S actually i was downloading realtek drivers but didn't think that it'd be this effective :D I really can't understand Microsoft :D

Solution....

I had this problem too, but it was caused by my wife! I had the headphones plugged in and she wanted to hear something on the speakers so she right clicked on the speaker icon and chose 'playback devices' and then selected disable on the headphones. if that wasn't enough, she then unclicked 'show disabled devices'. Well....it took me quite a bit of digging to find this, but after displaying disabled devices and seeing my headphone option, I was able to enable it and there ya go! It all works fine now!

Headphones

My problem is that I can't get the computer to recognize the headphones at all...How do I do that?

Back