Windows 10 HELP! Is it possible to reset BIOS from *within* Windows???

Mugsy

Extraordinary Member
I was a very bad boy and did something terribly wrong. I accidentally disabled the USB ports from BIOS on my Win10 tablet. :eek:

This disabled the detachable keyboard (and Bluetooth), and while I CAN get back into BIOS, I can't change anything once I'm there (AMI bios. Touchscreen not supported. Volume buttons on tablet only move highlight up/down.) There is no "bios Reset" button on the tablet and the case/cover is sealed (no screws.)

If there was a way to reset the BIOS back to its defaults from within Windows (where the touchscreen still works), I'd be set. I remember long ago you could Flash the BIOS from XP, which suggests there is a way to access the bios from the desktop.

Till then, I have a perfectly good... yet useless... Win10 tablet. :cry_smile:

Only if the manufacturer provides a utility to do so. The physical buttons typically act as a basic keyboard in BIOS though so you can use them.

Thx for the reply, but as stated in my question, the only buttons on the tablet (Vol +/- & Power) only move the highlight up/down. I can't get to another page to change the USB settings or clear the BIOS. :(

If you could access the bios battery somehow you could remove it for 1min-30secs and the bios will revert to defaults. That should get your usb ports back at least.

Thx kem, but opening the tablet won't be easy or neat, and I might not be able to get it back together. :(

Much thanks. I found a guide on how to replace the motherboard. You could always follow the guide to get access, unhook the moBo from the battery for 30 seconds to a minute which hopefully will clear the CM
Hey, that's great! Opening the sucker up was probably my last hope since I'm not finding a "software" based solution.

It'll be a few days till I can attempt something like this, but I'll give it a try and report back if successful! Thx again.

I hope it's successful Mugsy but in the meantime you might be able to achieve the same thing if you can remove the battery for the device? If it is possible leave it removed for 30mins or so.

Unfortunately, there are no doors or panels to access the batteries, and draining them 100% would destroy them. :(

Opening it appears to be my only option. (Update: Trouble! I don't have the screw-holes shown in the photos to open mine!)

I'd love to find a way to add my own reset button once I'm in there so I never have to worry about this again. :confused:

Last edited:
check mfg's site they may have a tool to install an updated BIOS from inside windows. Not important if there is not a newer one then you have as long as you can install the BIOS. That should get you back working. Fingers crossed for a solution.

Thx HIIC,

I thought the same thing. Unfortunately, the "manufacturer" is BestBuy ("Insignia" is their house brand) and the only Support links for this tablet are for one Driver and the Manual in PDF. :(

Have you tried going into device manager and see if you can reinstall USB or update.
Go into DM click view and click on show hidden devices you might be able to do something with re install, update???????????

I think your own option at this point would be to take it apart and remove the main battery and cmos battery

I went into tablet mode and on "mine" there is an option for different keyboards, one of them had both right/left arrows and up/down arrows. If you have the same set it for that KB then boot into BIOS and see if stays with that KB.
If you can get to set default BIOS and save you might get lucky.

I think your own option at this point would be to take it apart and remove the main battery and cmos battery
I ended up taking it to a local "FixURGadget" chain and instructed them to open it & disconnect the power. They called back a few minutes later to report the battery wires are soldiered directly to the MoBo. SMH

I need to call them back with instructions on how to short the FlashRAM chip for the BIOS before they desoldier the battery. :eek:

Last edited:
I went into tablet mode and on "mine" there is an option for different keyboards, one of them had both right/left arrows and up/down arrows. If you have the same set it for that KB then boot into BIOS and see if stays with that KB.
If you can get to set default BIOS and save you might get lucky.
There are no "keyboard" settings in my bios. The included detachable keyboard uses the USB controller (and apparently the same controller also controls the Bluetooth, so a BT keyboard is not an option either... which probably wouldn't work from BIOS anyway.)

They called back a few minutes later to report the battery wires are soldiered directly to the MoBo. SMH
Damn...

Your link looks promising though and I'll keep me fingers crossed for you that it does actually get you somewhere. Best of luck!

Back