Windows 7 HELP! My PC stopped booting (no post)

Lagkiller

So, I got a couple of brand new memmory sticks (yes, i went for memmory after all), and set them in the bios to 1066. It didn't ran stable, so I tried to improve the RAM timings in the bios. Seems it was a bad idea, since after that, my computer wouldn't boot. It does power on, all coolers seem to be working, as the hard disk, but the screen remains black, and the lights of the mouse and keyboard remain off. Tried booting multiple times, tried with only one memmory, with both, with no memmory... nothing. Oh, and i get no beeps. :confused:

I believe that i should try to reset the Bios to deafult settings. Since my monitor will remain without signal, I tried clearing the CMOS by removing the computer battery for 6 min, but I'd stil get black screen. I know there is a CMOS jumper that should work, but I can't find it in my motherboard (by the way, it's Asus M3A78-EM). I checked in the manual, but I'm still getting trouble to spot it. There are 4 pins in the place where (i think) it should be, but it seems different than in the manual (so again, i'm not sure if that's the CMOS thing).

PLEASE help!

Try this mate hope it helps
asus..png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I stared at that picture as if it was a map. Problem is, i'm not sure if what i think is the CMOS-thing, is. For a start, in the picture it's 3pins in a row, with 2 pins blow.But what i'm seing is faour pins (in a square shape).

*UPDATE (sorry to double-post but won't let me edit)

I tried using my old ram instead and it works perfectly. Tried with one of my old ram and one of the new. System will also boot, but i get blue screen right after i log on at Windows (tried safe mode, but it wouldn't work either). The blue screen says " IRQL_Not_less_or_equal "

I tried to contact OCZ in their forums but received no answer >.> (I strongly advise you against buying anything from them :mad: )

So how can i get my new RAm sticks to work? They used to untill i changed their timings with SPDtool (but again, i set it back to default...)

I'm not sure what information you mean. I did perform some research before buying it and everything seemed OK. By the way, I believe I should mention that ram is OCZ Fatal1ty 2x2GB PC2 8500 (a kit with 2 memory sticks 2 gb each) model is OCZ2F10662GK

There should be number stamped on adhesive tape on your chip.

that's the information you need before buying RAM

Obviously you've purchased the wrong RAM

Did you purchase from OCZ directly or a retailer.

I'd contact the retailer and have them lookup the correct RAM.
'
Major retailers have a memory configurator to find d the exact match,.

Other actual RAM makers have the dame configurator.

So, I got a couple of brand new memmory sticks (yes, i went for memmory after all), and set them in the bios to 1066. It didn't ran stable, so I tried to improve the RAM timings in the bios. Seems it was a bad idea, since after that, my computer wouldn't boot. It does power on, all coolers seem to be working, as the hard disk, but the screen remains black, and the lights of the mouse and keyboard remain off. Tried booting multiple times, tried with only one memmory, with both, with no memmory... nothing. Oh, and i get no beeps. :confused:

I believe that i should try to reset the Bios to deafult settings. Since my monitor will remain without signal, I tried clearing the CMOS by removing the computer battery for 6 min, but I'd stil get black screen. I know there is a CMOS jumper that should work, but I can't find it in my motherboard (by the way, it's Asus M3A78-EM). I checked in the manual, but I'm still getting trouble to spot it. There are 4 pins in the place where (i think) it should be, but it seems different than in the manual (so again, i'm not sure if that's the CMOS thing).

PLEASE help!

It could be timings or voltage or incompatible , what CPU are you using on that board ?

this >> View attachment M3A78-EM_QVL..pdf is the compatible RAM list from ASUS

Last edited:
My CPU is an AMD Phenom X4 9550.

Againg, i'm not sure what numbers you mean, but this is what's written in the sticker of the ram modules:
PC2 8500 6-7-7 @2.0v
PN:OCZ2F10664GK 2GB

I bought it directly in a store (i don't trust online buying)

Well, OCZ is listed among the qualified 1066 vendors list (the specificall module that's listed with OCZ, OCZ2N1066SR2DK, does not exist :confused:), so I guess it should count for all OCZ memory modules...

It might as well be a timing/voltage problem, but i dunno how to solve since when i put the new ram my screen won't turn on.

Last edited:
My CPU is an AMD Phenom X4 9550.

Againg, i'm not sure what numbers you mean, but this is what's written in the sticker of the ram modules:
PC2 8500 6-7-7 @2.0v
PN:OCZ2F10664GK 2GB

I bought it directly in a store (i don't trust online buying)

Well, OCZ is listed among the qualified 1066 vendors list (the specificall module that's listed with OCZ, OCZ2N1066SR2DK, does not exist :confused:), so I guess it should count for all OCZ memory modules...

It might as well be a timing/voltage problem, but i dunno how to solve since when i put the new ram my screen won't turn on.

The specific module needs to be listed for it to have been tested as compatible, OCZ and all the other manufacturers produce thousands of different spec RAM modules and they will all have different requirements and are made to work only with some motherboards ;)

It is beginning to look like these RAM modules may never work on your motherboard and you might be better off going back to your supplier ?

As I said, the ram that is listed from OCZ OCZ2N1066SR2DK does not exist :p I do hope i can get it to work because i bought it in the USA... and live in Argentina :p (if i had bought it here i'd already have had it returned)

As I said, the ram that is listed from OCZ OCZ2N1066SR2DK does not exist :p I do hope i can get it to work because i bought it in the USA... and live in Argentina :p (if i had bought it here i'd already have had it returned)

the only way it might work would be if you could adjust the voltages and timings in the bios with the ram installed , but if you can't get your system to boot with the ram in place then you are "dead in the water" :(

the only other hope might be you need a bios update and you could check that by going to your manufacturers website with your old ram installed ?

Updated it before plugging the ram sticks :frown:

Which bios version did you update to as your board needs bios version 0407 or above or 1066 ram will not be supported by your cpu.
Also try putting your old ram back in and choose optimal or default settings.Then go back into the bios and set memory over voltage to auto then save and exit.
Try your new sticks again and try to boot to bios.Your ram needs 2.0 volts to run correctly.
If still no joy then it looks like your new ram is either faulty or incompatable with your setup.
If your going to change ram timmings then do it in the bios and not with software.

My bios version is 2003 (latest).

I already checked and everything in the bios is set as default (AUTO). For some reason, it won't let me change the memory voltage (it is grey and remains auto).

Could it be possible that the bios settings changed when i put the new ram? Seems unlikely :confused:

My bios version is 2003 (latest).

I already checked and everything in the bios is set as default (AUTO). For some reason, it won't let me change the memory voltage (it is grey and remains auto).

Could it be possible that the bios settings changed when i put the new ram? Seems unlikely :confused:

These are the correct timings and voltage for your ram 5-5-5-18, 2T, @ 2.1V
These sticks will not work correctly at 1.8 volts which is standard for your board.
Is your pc a home build or is it an off the shelf pc.
If it’s the latter you will be limited as to what changes you can make in the bios.
Asus make boards under licence for Packard bell with the bios limited.

Heads up! The problem was that i had changed the memory's SPD (that's why resetting the bios had no effect). My PC did boot when i mixed 1old stick/1new so I got to the bios, manually set a low speed (so that the bios wouldn't follow SPD's instructions) and set the default SPD back. :cool:

I'm don't know how to get them to work stable at 1066 hz. I know both my motherboard and the memory sticks support that speed.
When i tried to get them at 1066 on the bios, i didn't touch the voltage (as it wouldn't let me change it from AUTO), but i could change that too from the SPD. But now i'm a bit scared to temper with that... :tongue: Should I try again the 6-7-7-20 timings listen in the stickers but now changing the voltage to 2.0v too?

Back