Windows 7 Help! Nothing will open.

Smithson

I have a HP laptop and yesterday I turned it on and it started but once start-up was complete, I couldn't open anything. I tried opening an internet browser, documents, and then my anti-virus software but nothing was happening. I restarted my computer and opened it in Safe Mode where I ran my AVG Anti-Virus software and it didn't find anything. So I restarted in regular mode and again nothing would open (I tried this several times). I am the only one who uses this computer and I haven't downloaded anything or gone to any unusual websites. Could I have a virus? Help me please!

Thank you for responding! I just ran this on my computer in Safe Mode and it says "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." So I'm guessing that means it's not a virus? I don't know. I'm a little computer illiterate when it comes to things like this. Is there anything else you can suggest trying if the problem isn't resolved?

Well last night I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes and it found nothing. So I created a new user and tried to use that and still nothing would open. :/ My husband (who doesn't know a ton about computers, but a little bit) said that I should just backup all my files while in Safe Mode and then do a factory restore. Does this sound like the best option or is there something else I could try?

Well last night I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes and it found nothing. So I created a new user and tried to use that and still nothing would open. :/ My husband (who doesn't know a ton about computers, but a little bit) said that I should just backup all my files while in Safe Mode and then do a factory restore. Does this sound like the best option or is there something else I could try?
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Whether or not that might be your best option or not would probably depend on how much time and effort you are willing to dedicate to recovering from your present issue.
You have a couple additional options you might consider trying.
First to make absolutely sure that you do not have any virus or malware remnants contributing to your problem, grab this application (download the correct version for your architecture) and a blank CD. Double click the application and it will create a bootable CD for you that will allow you to run a full scan of your computer, independent of your Operating System by booting to the CD (you may need to set your BIOS to boot to CD as the first boot device or strike and Fkey during post to evoke a boot menu that will allow you to select you CD drive as the first boot device).
Additionally you can attempt to further diagnose the issue by performing a Clean Boot and seeing if you can zero in on the offending application, service or process that is causing the problem.
And finally you may want to consider performing an inplace upgrade repair install of the OS. If you have Service Pack 1 installed on your current version of Windows 7 and do not have install media that has Service Pack 1 integrated into it already, you may need to download one of these ISOs (the version and bit value that matches your current install) and burn it to a DVD in order to be able to successfully perform this option.
Backing up your critical data is always a good idea and I would highly recommend doing so as soon as possible. The factory restore part of your husband's suggestion will likely resolve your present issue but whether or not it is your best option is ultimately up to you.
Regards
Randy

I was just wondering about how you were trying to run the items.. Are you using the mouse by clicking, or tried right clicking and selecting run or even going to the actual .exe file and opening that?

For instance, if you cannot start notepad from the Start Menu, All Programs, accessories, you might try going to the Windows folder and looking for notepad.exe. You can select it and hit enter on the keyboard, or double click, or right click and select open. I am just trying to narrow down, if possible, the exact condition.

I was just wondering about how you were trying to run the items.. Are you using the mouse by clicking, or tried right clicking and selecting run or even going to the actual .exe file and opening that?

For instance, if you cannot start notepad from the Start Menu, All Programs, accessories, you might try going to the Windows folder and looking for notepad.exe. You can select it and hit enter on the keyboard, or double click, or right click and select open. I am just trying to narrow down, if possible, the exact condition.
Good call Clark. Wasn't thinking along those lines at all and the OP doesn't actually indicate what happens when she attempts to run the programs if there is an error message or a hung application, perhaps it could be a file association corruption issue with the related registry keys. Could be worth looking into, although if everything seems to be working well in safemode then maybe not.
Thanks
Randy

Back