Windows 10 Hiding unwanted Taskbar buttons

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Recently Davehc and I had a brief discussion about the removal of the Search/Task view buttons and David found an app created for this purpose called:
Win10TaskBarCleaner
http://www.techgainer.com/remove-windows-10s-annoying-taskbar-search-task-view-buttons/

Randy (Trouble) also mentioned to me about two further methods involving a registry tweak to remove these unwanted icons:
You would think that Microsoft would have learned from their Windows 8 mistakes of forcing terrible features down people’s throats, but it looks like they’ve integrated a positively awful Search button / panel into the Taskbar. Here’s how to hide it using a registry hack.
http://www.howtogeek.com/197607/how-to-hide-the-stupid-search-button-on-the-windows-10-taskbar/

Thanks to both for passing on the information..

I have developed a little caution, since. MS (it might be scare tactics) have repeated more than once, that altering items in the registry (gpedit) can have bad consequences on future updates of the TEch preview.
I decided to live with the icons - no big deal.

One could always reverse the effects before applying any new builds and I've also changed my Update so that it auto checks not auto installs (I know, I know but I prefer it this way :) )

Problem for me, there, is that you cannot with confidence, send feedback on a bug you might find, until you have applied the update, which could well be the cure.
I must admit, though, that so far there do not seem to have been any "fixes" sent down the update tube.

so far there do not seem to have been any "fixes" sent down the update tube.
Day after Tomorrow is another Update Tuesday.
Perhaps, maybe, we just might get something then. Or they might continue to come in 3 gig build updates. Who knows.

The last build was released around October 21st so It could be a week and a bit before we possibly see anything new?

The next build, to be released soon, will, apparently, have a new taskbar option to hide those two icons.

Let's hope they release an iso although I imagine it will probably be an upgrade again. One may have to install the iso build (the original release 9841) and then upgrade to the latest build 98??.

Could be another ISO release on MSDN subscriptions, Ross, hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom