Windows 7 High CPU causes computer to sleep

tomjr

Every time my computer is using high CPU (30%+ constantly), after about 5 minutes or so (the more CPU being used, the faster it does this) the fan on my computer will start going really fast and if I don't close the program that is using the CPU then my computer will go to sleep by itself. I can't use any programs that use much CPU because of this. Most of the time I'm not doing anything that uses a lot of CPU, just searching the web or using small programs, so I've been putting up with this problem, but lately its been driving me crazy. I've done a lot of searching and can't seem to find anyone with a similar problem, so I don't know where to start. This just started happening a few months ago (started around January of this year).

Here is the info about my computer:
Windows 7 Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Model: Asus Notebook K61IC/K70IC Series
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P7450 @ 2.13GHz 2.13GHz
4.0 GB RAM
64 Bit OS

Hi,

sounds suspiciously like high temperatures are causing a shutdown. Try removing any dust from vents ect. I'd also run an anti malware scan as this can also cause issues like you mentioned. Try downloading and using this app asit's great at search and destroy:

Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware download

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention I have my laptop sitting on a cooling fan because I too suspected high temperature to be a cause. I think I have run malwarebytes since this problem started but I will definitely do it again. I will also try cleaning the vents.
One more thing to note is that I have my latop plugged into a bigger monitor and keep my laptop closed because of that. Could this be causing it to overheat? I didn't think it would because the vents are on the back not inside.

Some laptops are designed in such a way there is a tendency for junk to get into the cooling channel which funnels the air exhausted by the fan. If your system has some type of access panel you can open to see that area, you might check...

If not, check the best you can to see if the channel is open.

Back
Top Bottom