Windows 7 "hl2.exe has stopped working"

FloatingSheep

Hey guys, this morning I eagerly installed Windows 7 and so far I'm impressed with how it's running, but I have run into a problem with steam games.
Every time I try to launch a steam game whether it be Day of Defeat: Source, Counter Strike Source etc, I get the same error pop up which says "hl2.exe has stopped working"
Here's a screenie:
http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr136/FloatingSheep/SteamError.jpg
I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me with this issue.
Thanks in advance.

Got the right ATI/NVIDIA Drivers? It could very well be that.. 'Cause i'm still also waiting for the BETA drivers.. They should have released it by now.. Or just reinstall HL2.. or steam..

You have reinstalled steam, I take it you reinstalled the games as well?

Also have you actually checked to see what solution it offers? If any?

i to get errors with my counter striker 1.6, but not really the same. when i try to go into a server in game it loads up to 3 bars and freezes. i have to force exist (task manager) to get out of the game. Ill be grateful if anyone has a solution to this

I'm having trouble with Counter Strike, too, but I'm using (or trying to use) Counter Strike: Source. All my other STEAM applications seem to work fine, but CS:S crashes while loading resources. It dumps me to desktop with an engine error message of "DispInfo_LoadDisplacements: dispcounts (0 and 179) don't match." I've tried various tweaks, and searched many forums, but I haven't found a solution, yet.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) on an Intel Core2Duo E6300 with 4GB RAM, an Nvidia 9800GTX+, and a SATA HD. The full DirectX diagnostic file is attached.

-Khalaq

In order to troubleshoot your problem we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32, look under the Components section for hardware identification
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. The manufacturer name and model number of your PC, if applicable
4 .Download http://majorgeeks.com/SIV_System_Information_Viewer_d4779.html]System Information Viewer) 3.36[/URL]
5 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.
6. Your exact make and model of your motherboard would be of great help.

In response to RegHakr:

1) I've identified my components through the Device Manager and SIV. Whatever specs you need to know are available.
2) There are no yellow flags in the Device Manager; all components are supposedly working just fine.
3) I built my own computer.
4) I've downloaded and used the System Information Viewer.
5) My computer's specs have been inserted into my User Control Panel and are now available.
6) The exact make and model of my motherboard are included in the UCP specs.
7) The only thing I've been able to find connected to the error message I am receiving is a forum posting which mentions that "DispInfo_LoadDisplacements" errors are related to map-loading.

CS:Source gets as far as trying to load the map, but there is an error in the drawing or data-check process. The question is "Why?" Is it a sound-source issue, where one of the map's soundfiles isn't understood by my soundcard's driver? Is it a corrupted mapfile? Is it a failure in the processing of the data between program and OS? I can't tell, yet. All I know for certain is that, the day before, I was playing CS:S in Windows XP Pro with no problems.

I have already checked the integrity of the game files, and I've tried different maps (with correspondingly different "0 and ###" errors), but I can't rule out data corruption, yet. I'm going to try a reinstall of CS:S to see if that does anything, but that will take a couple of hours, and I haven't gotten around to it.

-Khalaq

Last edited:
Just checked my installation of CSS under Windows 7 and all seems fine. Maps are loading fine for me.

My specs are available in the drop down next to my name like everyone elses

Might be worth deleting the game from your computer, download it and reinstall

Khalaq,

Try right-clicking on the executable file, choose the Compatibility tab and choose a different OS, or make other changes in the boxes below.

Fiddling with the compatibility settings was actually one of the first things I tried. The result was that STEAM complained about not needing compatibility adjustments, and CSS still didn't work. I'm 60% sure it's a problem with the CSS files and a delete/reinstall will fix it. I'm just sick as a dog and not really feeling up to the hassle of doing the work quite yet. I'll probably setup the reinstall, tonight, though.

[Edit]
No dice. I deleted all local content and reinstalled CSS, but to no avail. I also updated the software on my 3COM 3CR858-91 modem and tried to make sure all required ports were open. I'm not sure I succeeded, however. I'm not an expert on port forwarding, and the 3CR858-91 has a weird sort of setup.

Oh, and to make things even more interesting, I tried running hl2.exe. I got a popup message telling me some file or other was too old, and then the game updated it and ran flawlessly. Go figure....

[Second Edit]
After screwing around a bit more, I discovered that I can PLAY CSS, I just can't host a map. That includes the "video test" map (which is how all this got started). If I join a server, no problem. If I try to host a map or run the video test, crash-a-mundo.

-Khalaq

Last edited:
i have the same god damned problem. only not working in creating a game or running video stress test. can join games fine. same problem for windows XP sp3, windows XP x64 and windows 7 64bit

Same with me.

I got the same thing, "Hl2.exe has stopped working" when i try to play tf2.

Heres me specs.

System model: Inspiron 1545
BIOS : Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS version 1.10 A07
Processor :Celeron(R) Dual-Core CPU T3000 @ 1.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
RAM : 3072mb
DirectX : Version 11
Device : Mobile Intel (R) 4 series express chipset family

Ok, i know its good enough to play, but i dont know why it has that error. THX

Re: Same with me.

I play a game on steam team fortress 2.
i have the same problem when i try to join a server it says hl2 crashed.
can anyone help me?

To run CSS and HL2 They need to have steam running. I also have it running permanently with out problem. Couple of suggestions reinstall directx. If that fails uninstall you video drivers. Reboot. Reinstall video drivers and then directx.

Back