Windows 10 Hmm, I don't know.....

Turbojoe

Honorable Member
Well I'm 3 days into my Win 10 experience. There are some cool things but nothing that would make me run out and pay actual money for the upgrade. I'm sure it's just because it's an early release but everything seems slower in Win 10 and this is from upgrade on a fresh install of Win 7 less than a month ago on an SSD. Flight Sim 2004 refuses to run in any way. Real Flight G 3.5 refuses to run. Call of Duty refuses to run. Sauerbraten runs at 200FPS but still freezes at times for 15-20 seconds at a time. So far as a gaming platform it's letting me down big time. The above games are the only ones I play. Now only one is sorta usable. I've updated to the latest Win 10 Catalyst drivers. Updated everything for the mobo that is available (mainly sound). Tried reinstalling the problem games and still no go. Tried running in all previous Windows modes. I'm also seeing really slow browser response be it Edge or FireFox and I have 60mbps cable internet that routinely tests at over 70mbps so it's not my service.

I'll give it another week or so to see if any updates come through that improve things. Otherwise I think I'll just go back to Win 7 and be able to use everything that worked before. I'm not bad mouthing Win 10. At this point in its release it just doesn't seem to be the best choice for me. Win 7 worked reliably and fast. Hopefully Win 10 will get to that same level very soon.

Joe

Thanks. Hopefully updates come very soon. Web loads seem to be getting much slower regardless the browser I use. Game lock ups are worse as well. I'm staying optimistic but those problems as well as not being able to use the only games/simulators I'm interested in may drive me back to a clean install of Win 7. I will give Win 10 props for being a painless install. At this point in time Win 7 performed MUCH better for me though.

Joe

Forgot to add. I've had several BSOD's at various times. I stopped trying to look up the reasons after the first several were so vague as to be useless.

Joe

All my browsers were slow in loading until I did a clean install. No problems after that. Haven't had any BSOD's yet.

I have a non-upgrade license, so I just did a clean install. Zero problems.

I don't have a license. Any EASY way to do a clean install of Win 10? Easy for a non geek?.... My new computer build is fresh enough that a "start all over" isn't a big deal. Only the operating system is on the boot drive so a wipe and install is OK if it'll speed things up. I'm using a vacation day tomorrow so that gives me a 3 day weekend to screw it up several times and still have plenty of time to go back to Win 7 if need be.

Joe

Nope, if you want to take advantage of the free offer you need to first upgrade to Windows 10. Once you've done that you can use a program like magical jelly bean to find the issued Windows 10 key and do a clean install.

You don't need a key to do a clean install. When you see it ask for a key just click on skip and later when it asks again just click on not now and continue. Once your done you can check and see that it is activated. Mine was. I did locate the key and wrote it down in case I would have to use it in the future.

Last edited:
Thanks folks. Will try to figure this Windows 10 stuff out tomorrow. More important things developing right now......

Joe

Well I finally had to give up on Win10 and go back to Win7. Maybe I'll try it again after the SP1 update.....

Joe

Back
Top Bottom