Windows 7 How can i change the location of my Windows Udate downloads (SSD 64gig almost full) and P2P all of a

69JOKA69

Hey Guy's,

I need some help, i recently built up my machine, (specs in profile) with a 64Gig SSD drive where my OS is on (Win7 Ult 64bit). My OS was loaded at the beginning of April, after the OS was loaded i only had about 33gigs free, so i turned off my Automatic Updates, and thought i would turn it on every now and then, turned it on Tuesday, ran updates, and installed, my space then dropped from 33gigs, to 26gigs, and since the updates ran my P@P downloads is extremely slow, my line speed is 2Mbps capped, so my P2P downloads on Avg was about 200Kbps, now however since the updates ran my P2P downloads are @ max 0.7Kbps, done a Speed test, and it gives me the correct result (1.7Mbps - 2Mbps Download), but my P2P does not seem to agree with that!!!:mad3:

So basically, my ask is 2 things:

• How do i change the download/install location of my Windows Important updates?
  • And would the Security/other windows updates maybe messed up something or some setting on my P2P downloads?

P2P Client is not BitTorrent, but was using uTorrent for the past 2 years, and everything was fine, just tried BitTorrent, to see if it might make a difference. Also, i am downloading something with a whole lot of Seeders and Peers, and when the download begins, it is extremely fast maybe for the 1st 5 Minutes, then it drops down to 0.7(max)Kbps.

I also have a 64gb ssd drive. What I found was I had to disable hibernation, turn off windows search and turned off my page file. I found I gained a lot of free space and my speed on downloads improved some. Be sure that you also don't defrag your disk or do a registry defrag. SSD drives will last longer that way.

In your command (run as administrator) Type in powercfg /h off. That will disable your hibernation.

Last edited:
What I found was I had to disable hibernation, turn off windows search and turned off my page file. I found I gained a lot of free space

Thanks for the quick response, sadly i've already done this when i just installed my OS, im not sure if maybe after the updates, my settings reverted because ive noticed some unrelated things also changed, like my startup sound, and Systems sounds "Mute" is switching itself back on after every reboot if i mute it, as well as some minor changes aren't saving, also a major 1 i noticed was my Logon screen automatically defaulted even though i changed it...

And also, im afraid i really possibly wont be able to much more windows updates, because if it takes up like 6-10gigs per update, im going to soon be out of Disk space on my SSD... Not cool...

Last edited:
I am sorry that I couldn't help more. I admit I don't know much about what is going on. I just go by what worked for me. I am sure someone will come along and have the answer for you.

Im not sure how to thank a forumite yet.... Maybe i still need to up my post's abit before i have that option?

In your command (run as administrator) Type in powercfg /h off. That will disable your hibernation.

But thanks alot Sonny, it seems after my Updates ran, it seemed to have changed a whole lot of my Standard settings, so i ran system restore to before my updates ran, and then turned off Auto Updates (Still would like to know if when i do eventually wanna re install updates, isnt there maybe an option to install and change the location of the Download?) and then done the powercfg /h off in CMD, that was succesfull, i then got my 33gigs space back on my SSD (THANKS AGAIN!!) after that i uninstalled Bittorrent and settings etc, rebooted, Installed uTorrent (from uTorrent site instead of the 1 from Filehippo) added my Downloads, changed my max download speed on uTorrent to 200kbps and VUIALA!! My Downloads are going strong!

That I am not sure of in changing the location of the Downloads. 33gigs is about what I have with all my pictures, music and other programs installed. Including Microsoft office 2007. I also have all my updates downloaded. I don't know but I have windows 8 on the ssd drive. That might make a difference for me also. I don't know.

Last edited:
33gigs is about what I have with all my pictures, music and other programs installed. Including Microsoft office 2007. I also have all my updates downloaded

I have nothing on my SSD, all my data is stored on 1 of my other drives, i even have a 240Gig HDD as my software drive, so whenever i install an application, i use that drive for INSTALLS/Program Files x86 location, and then my Downloads/uTorrents/uTube Downloads go to a Downloads HDD, i've even used a tip i saw on another forum on Changing the location of my Windows "TEMP" folder to my 240Gig "Software" drive.

According to the interweb, a 64Bit Ultimate installation is massive!! which sucks but ill live with that, just i wont be able to add any updates at all..... Unless i find an alternative!

Back