Windows 8 How can I exit PDFs etc.?

WinWoman

If I open a PDF file or some other kinds of files, I can't figure out how to quickly exit and get back to the desktop. In other Windows versions, the handy Escape key or Back arrow would do that. Now, if I press Escape nothing happens and I have to reboot the computer because the PDF takes up the entire screen whether I like it or not. And pressing the arrow just makes the PDF smaller. There must be a quick answer to this; I am so frustrated I can't think of anything else to try. Thanks in advance for help.

If I open a PDF file or some other kinds of files, I can't figure out how to quickly exit and get back to the desktop. In other Windows versions, the handy Escape key or Back arrow would do that. Now, if I press Escape nothing happens and I have to reboot the computer because the PDF takes up the entire screen whether I like it or not. And pressing the arrow just makes the PDF smaller. There must be a quick answer to this; I am so frustrated I can't think of anything else to try. Thanks in advance for help.

Question.....
At top left corner of your pdf file, is there not a FILE option?
If yes, is there not an EXIT option after clicking File?

Question.....
At top left corner of your pdf file, is there not a FILE option?
If yes, is there not an EXIT option after clicking File?

no, totally no. the file takes up the entire screen. there are plus and minus signs at the bottom of the document; pressing just shrinks or zooms.

It sounds like you haven't had much experience with the apps that start in the own window. You can close them by grabbing the top and dragging to the bottom (Windows 8.1 requires you hold them at the bottom until they rotate).

You can go back by using the Winkey or running your mouse over to the top left and wait for a banner to open with the items you currently have running and select or close from there.

But Bassfisher's suggestion about using a third party PDF reader would be best.

Back