Windows 10 How can I get my windows dekstop folder fixed?

How to fix icons not appearing in desktop folder but seen on actual desktop?

• U can do it by...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This is how to...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fade

Usually when i have icons laying on my desktop i would access them through file explorer by clicking on the desktop on side bar, but when i go inside i see many icons but i don't see all the icons that laid out on my desktop. When i add new icons i usually see them but i don't all the time as about 1/5 of my icons would be missing inside desktop folder rather than on my actual desktop.

Well it would help if you give more information as to what is wrong with your desktop folder.

Well it would help if you give more information as to what is wrong with your desktop folder.
it doesn't show all the icons inside that i have place on my actual desktop, its like a few files are missing completely. Lets say i install a program and at end of installation i select option to put shortcut on desktop. I would go to my desktop and see icon, but when i open my desktop folder it is not there.

Are you sure you're looking in the correct profile? If they are there they will show up in explorer unless you have the system or hidden attributes set on them.

I turned on see hidden icons in property setting and also I only have 1 user account on PC.

Last edited:
Are you sure you're looking in the correct profile? If they are there they will show up in explorer unless you have the system or hidden attributes set on them.
here take a look at this, i cleaned up other icons at desktop so you can see clearly whats happening, though you may not know those 2 Europa Universalis 4 are two different shortcuts leading to 2 different folder. Only 1 icon appears inside my dekstop folder even though they are 2 on the desktop with wallpaper.

This doesn't just happen with these shortcuts, but others as well even when 2 completely differen't program's shortcuts. I just highlighted these 2 as a clear example.

Attachments

• problem.png
    problem.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 452
Last edited:
Isnt there an allusers folder or public folder? Try drilling to it. Should be in c:\users

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Good call Chi, anything in the public desktop will show up on your desktop but not in explorer. C:\users\public\desktop is the path

Isnt there an allusers folder or public folder? Try drilling to it. Should be in c:\users

There is no all users and public desktop even worse.
Also these are all the users i have. I usually use toxic and navigate to desktop there because that is my current user and where you saw earlier shot with europa universalis. This is how my desktop usually is though without cleaning up. Also i changed user name toxic by editing so i dont put my computer at risk of hackers
problem4.png problem2.png
problem4.png
problem2.png

Attachments

• problem2.png
    problem2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 506
here take a look at this, i cleaned up other icons at desktop so you can see clearly whats happening, though you may not know those 2 Europa Universalis 4 are two different shortcuts leading to 2 different folder. Only 1 icon appears inside my dekstop folder even though they are 2 on the desktop with wallpaper.

This doesn't just happen with these shortcuts, but others as well even when 2 completely differen't program's shortcuts. I just highlighted these 2 as a clear example.
Right click each shortcut on your desktop and check properties for the true path. One will be in C:\users\"your username". The other is the duplicate... In win7 or win8 it would be allusers but win10 may put elsewhere.

Right click each shortcut on your desktop and check properties for the true path. One will be in C:\users\"your username". The other is the duplicate... In win7 or win8 it would be allusers but win10 may put elsewhere.

they are not duplicates one is a steam runtime leading to 1 of my partitions and the other is another version of the game's exe's in another partition. the problem is one of them dont show in desktop user folder. i'll show you another 1 of the other problem files since that may have been a bad example.

Never mind i found solution, you were right all of my icons that werent on desktop folder were located in public dekstop rather than in my user's desktop. My apologies i didn't consider it because as i said i only have 1 users.

This thread is now solved by just cutting shortcuts them from public desktop and placing. to my user's desktop.

Thanks guys this problem plagued me for about a year.

Attachments

• problem5.png
    problem5.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 496
Last edited:
The reason they don't both show up in your desktop folder under explorer is because one is in the Public user desktop. These shortcuts will only show up on your actual desktop and not in explorer.

Back
Top Bottom