Windows 10 How do I diasable virus checker?

anotherwindowsuser

Windows ten automatic virus checker is absolutely driving me crazy, when I start the computer is immediately runs it and it takes away all my cpu and the computer becomes VERY sluggish to do anything for 5-10 minutes, I've tried turning it off several times, but it still runs, any ideas?

settings > windows security > virusthreat

from there, check scan options i think you can change when it scans. Might solve your issue there, or you are able to go to settings and disable it from there. Alternatively if it shows up in task manager In the startup tab, you can disable it from opening on startup. Not sure if its there, if you disable it get something like Malwarebytes to replace it.

settings > windows security > virusthreat

from there, check scan options i think you can change when it scans. Might solve your issue there, or you are able to go to settings and disable it from there. Alternatively if it shows up in task manager In the startup tab, you can disable it from opening on startup. Not sure if its there, if you disable it get something like Malwarebytes to replace it.

Thank you for your response however it only gives scan type options not the facility to stop it entirely. I believe its doing it every time I Start up the pc, also what is an ongoing issue I have not found any success in, is to stop the computer from running automatic updates, I rarely use windows so its very annoying that when I do boot up the computer to use it I have to wait for it to install the updates on both the shut down and reboot of the machine too as it completes them on start up.

scanoptions Capture.PNG

You can try downloading malwarebytes, It’s the one I use and I believe another antivirus limits windows defender a fair bit. Might do it without messing in settings. It looks like they might have changed the location of the option, I’m going to bed fairly soon. But tomorrow I’ll try to find it and edit this post.

You are able to disable in task scheduler > Microsoft\Windows\Windows Defender one is called windows defender scheduled scan right click and disable.

You are able to use Powershell in admin mode to change the day it’s done.

Set-MpPreference -ScanScheduleDay X

0- Everyday 1-Sunday 7-Saturday with the other ones in between. 8 is never and may stop the scans. There is no 9. I cannot recommend doing this for obvious reasons, though that is the Powershell way to do it. You should at least have a regular idea when to scan the computer, with windows defender, Malwarebytes or any various popular antiviruses now and again. Good luck :)

Thanks for this I appreciate your help. Does this keep real-time scanning in place? What about the updates do you have any idea how to disable that?

I believe it should stop scans. Do you also want to disable windows updates? Don’t. Windows updates includes things like security packages to ensure your system is safe from viruses and patching other security threats. You can choose to defer windows updates in it’s settings though, in update settings and advanced options. It’s better to bite the bullet and install updates for the w10 operating system. Up 2 u.

You can choose to defer windows updates in it’s settings though, in update settings and advanced options.

Omg I actually found the feature and it would not let me use it on account there were updates available and they were apparently compulsory.. Furthermore its cumulative So that's now my computer gone for the half an hour it takes to install it. Aggggghhhhhhh

Last edited:
OK well this is strange, at the weekend I had anupdate and the computer rebooted, however, today when I went to deliberately update it so as to get to the feature of deferrrig the update it wont let me, probably because I disabled some services in the past. I now have 0x80073701 and am following these instructions,

The automated Troubleshooter setup some services, I rebooted tried again it still didn't work,

OMG I have had to waste four hours on this crap (you see why I mostly use Linux) so having gone to through the steps on the previous link over the error code 0x80073701 having enabled the appropriate four startup services
net start wuauserv (already running)
net start bits
net start msiserver (started it up but for some reason I cant change it to automatic in services.msc)
net start usosvc (already running)

which did not resolve the problem, I then run

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

and then DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

using the original windows 10 204 x64 iso mounted and reinstalled image files for that

Still success, I eventually came across an article saying I needed a security update installed,

KB5005260: Servicing stack update for Windows 10, version 2004, 20H2, and 21H1: August 10, 2021​

None of these 21H1 for x64 would install and they said they were wrong for my system (I tried the to 64 and 86 out of curiosity)

I then read another article saying if the above wasn't working I'd need the following instead:

KB5004313: Setup Dynamic Update for Windows 10, version 2004, 20H2, and 21H1: July 20, 2021​

That was downloaded as a cab file and after extraction I got yet another error message saying it wasn't right for my system.

Absolute nightmare.

Would the Reset my pc fix all this? Its annoying I'm going to have to prat about installing various softwares again.

Resetting the pc can fix most issues with windows, as it reinstalls the OS. If not, a iso image could also do it.

it sounds like windows is trying to update, but the services you stopped or the settings already changed has caused a bit of a conflict. As usual, windows spazzes out and goes a bit mad over it. Depending if you have access to group policy (Windows pro + I believe), you can use that to disable or defer the updates. I can’t remember how to do it off the top of my head, so I’d have to look it up. It will be somewhere in the windows component section. But that should stop the process running in the first place before it spazzes out.

you can also go to the windows updates services: properties: first failure: do nothing. That might stop this 🧐 I’m unsure, first situation like this i’ve heard of. People don’t normally want to disable windows updates to this extent 😅

It will probably be easier on you to reset your system, rather than run around this much in settings. If you choose to, after resetting, install malwarebytes :)

Last edited:
ok done the reset, however update defer is only giving 35 days. its better than nothing but still crap imho given I dont use windows much and if they chuck out an update per month then i still am screwed.

You can try downloading malwarebytes, It’s the one I use and I believe another antivirus limits windows defender a fair bit.

does it limit it to the point it wont do automatic scans then?

Thanks for your time on this.

ok done the reset, however update defer is only giving 35 days. its better than nothing but still crap imho given I dont use windows much and if they chuck out an update per month then i still am screwed.

does it limit it to the point it wont do automatic scans then?

Thanks for your time on this.
Antiviruses generally don’t work great together as they conflict, so a lot of features of windows defender are disabled when two are on the same system.

If you don’t mind, I’m getting a little confused that now both windows defender and windows updates are causing such a havoc to your system? What’s your build?

Last edited:
Antiviruses generally don’t work great together as they conflict, so a lot of features of windows defender are disabled when two are on the same system.

If you don’t mind, I’m getting a little confused that now both windows defender and windows updates are causing such a havoc to your system? What’s your build?

Windows 10 21h1 the problem isn't defender and update in themselves the problem I have it takes away my processing power during the virus scan and it takes ages for the updates to install.

Back