Windows 10 How do I permanently un-check "Connect automatically" for Wifi?

jwal

Two questions:

Why does un-checking "Connect automatically" spontaneously re-check?

How do I permanently un-check "Connect automatically" for Wifi?

Please note:
Under my WIFI tab, available networks can be uncehcked, but they never remain unchecked. I can not interact with this list by right clicking, other to uncheck the "connect automatically" tab.

Under Manage WIFI settings, Manage Known Networks lists ONLY the one network I use. Available networks displayed above aren't listed here.

Hi and welcome to the forum :up:

Sounds like you have a setting or two turned off in your wireless network settings. Take a look at these suggestions:

*************************************************************************************************************************************
Try this first:
TRY SETTINGS-->WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION-->MAKE THIS PC DISCOVERABLE; SET TO ON.

If you don't get the list of other wi-fi networks try these:
TRY MANAGE WI-FI SETTINGS-->WI-FI SENSE-->CONNECT TO SUGGESTED OPEN HOTSPOTS; SET TO ON.

TRY MANAGE WI-FI SETTINGS-->CONNECT TO NETWORKS SHARED BY MY CONTACTS; SET TO ON.

TRY MANAGE WI-FI SETTINGS-->PAID WI-FI SERVICES; SET TO ON.
*************************************************************************************************************************************

You'll notice that first setting, "Make This PC Discoverable" if not set to "ON", your list of available networks in your area (neighbors Wi-Fi networks) will disappear. Turning this on and off and on again may fix it. It works on my W10 laptop (Sony).

If that doesn't work, you may have a virus/malware infection and you should scan with your installed AV program; and remove all found viruses. Then download the free MALWAREBYTES antispyware from Malwarebytes.org and scan/remove all found spyware viruses. Retest your Wi-Fi. It should now be fixed as above. :up:

If it doesn't you could have some kind of windows system file corruption or a hard drive failure. If you try the above and get to this point in my post, you can post back for further help on what to do.. In the meantime, I WOULD MAKE CERTAIN YOU HAVE ALL YOUR PERSONAL DATA (LIBRARY FOLDERS) BACKED UP TO EXTERNAL MEDIA TO AVOID IRRETRIEVABLE DATA LOSS BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH FURTHER REPAIRS!!

Let us know how it goes.
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :encouragement:

Hi, thanks for the help.

I've had 'discoverable' toggled off for some time, and toggling them on or off doesn't seem to change things. Available connections are still listed on my task bar (including, periodically, that of my neighbours), and also under the settings > WIFI tab.

The superfluous connections aren't listed under "Manage Known Networks", because i removed them previously, hoping my computer would no longer try to connect to them.

The only trouble I have is that I believe my computer is trying to connect to the listed networks, which results in frequent drops from the network I do use. The list has "connect automatically" options, which should solve the problem, only the box will not remain unchecked.

Before posting this, I searched and found many similar complaints expressing the same problem, so I don't think it is a virus. The responses, however, even by official reps were vague, incorrect, unfinished and didn't actually seem to understand the problem, or offered unreasonably complicated workarounds requiring third-party software. I am wondering, if its an actual recognised bug with Windows10, and what the official work around is, or if its not, then what has gone wrong.

Cheers.

"Make this computer discoverable..." only makes your computer discoverable to other computers, the inverse is not affected.

The "Connect Automatically" should be SSID specific, which means it is going to be checked only for a given network.

I would turn all of these off. It could be you're getting wireless profiles from a contact.
TRY SETTINGS-->WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION-->MAKE THIS PC DISCOVERABLE; SET TO ON.

If you don't get the list of other wi-fi networks try these:
TRY MANAGE WI-FI SETTINGS-->WI-FI SENSE-->CONNECT TO SUGGESTED OPEN HOTSPOTS; SET TO ON.

TRY MANAGE WI-FI SETTINGS-->CONNECT TO NETWORKS SHARED BY MY CONTACTS; SET TO ON.

TRY MANAGE WI-FI SETTINGS-->PAID WI-FI SERVICES; SET TO ON.

Wireless profiles are stored at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Wlansvc\Profiles\Interfaces Each folder in here represents a wireless network interface if you have more than one. Each xml file in an interface folder is a SSID you have connected to and has been saved.

Within each saved SSID is the setting
<connectionMode>auto</connectionMode> this tells Windows to automatically connect or
<connectionMode>manual</connectionMode> for manual connection

@neemo: If all these settings are turned off, he won't be able to see the list of available networks including his own Wi-Fi router SSID. Not sure if this is a bug in W10 or not, but these settings work pretty much the same in W7 and W8/8.1. (they have slightly different names however in W10).

@jwal: It's probably worth trying neemo's suggestions. I don't believe that will fix your problem. It's more likely that there's a problem with your particular computer. Are you on a laptop or desktop PC? Either way, do you have a friend that will let you connect to their home Wi-Fi network with your computer to test your W10 with? If it works differently, and you get some options that allow you to keep your connection always on in his home Wi-Fi, you may have to reset your W10 on that device; as you may have other Windows corruption at the registry level or a faulty RAM or Hard Drive.o_O Have you tested your Hardware on that device??:question: If you get the identical result on your friend's home Wi-Fi network, there might indeed be a bug with W10...but we would need more users to join in this thread and post back their results in a substantiated manner which is not easy to do here, as many users view us asking for complete system specs as an invasion of their privacy. Nonetheless, if you try what I suggest, and do get a fix on your friend's home network, it identifies a problem specific to YOUR device, then you can take the appropriate remediation steps. Post back if you need a link to comprehensive hardware/software testing and repair.

Best,;)
BBJ

Not true, I have them all turned off on all of my Windows 10 systems and I can see and connect to any available SSID.

I have pretty much every discovery service turned off and I connect just fine.
services.PNG

Having the same problem here 4 yrs later. I am certain I've never connected to any of the ssid that show up. (FBI VAN75)
(SPRINGERNET GUEST).
When I type netsh wlan show profile "Hidden Network"
I get
Profile "Hidden Network" is not found on the system.
I used the
netsh wlan add filter permission=block ssid="Hidden Network" networktype+infrastructure

for most of them but some like Hidden Network and House Perry still show up after a few seconds (now FBIVAN50) new one.
What I really don't get is the connect automatically checkbox. Like others have said it just keeps checking itself. These networks are showing as secured, but what happens if the owner switches to open.
What is the purpose of the "connect automatically" checkbox if it just checks itself? Seems pointless.
I turned off connect automatically when in range for the SSID I do use, but all others still recheck the connect automatically box.
And the netsh filter permission is not stopping them from showing up. I type it again and it says the SSID is already in the list?

"Hidden Network" is a network type, not a network name. The block command needs a name of a network, not a type.
The "connect automatically" checkbox applies to the networks you switched it on. If you switched it on at your home network, the network of your office and the network of your friend, you get automatically connected to those networks and not to the open network of a shopping center.
But I think you did know that, and I don't understand your question fully..

Hidden Network is the SSID of the wifi my PC/wifi NIC is seeing. I've never connected to it. I'm talking about the network icon in the systray that shows available ssids. Each one can be expanded and has a checked box next to b"Connect Automatically". Also a button in the bottom right to connect. I've never connected to some of these but the option box to connect automatically is there and checked. I uncheck, collapse list the reexpand and it's checked again, like it's taking the option from an ssid I do connect to. Most of them are not appearing since I ran the netsh block command like I mentioned.
WiFiSSIDs.png

The first 3 are mine, but the rest are neighbors. Netsh permissions don't block them from being listed, and the Connect automatically box remains checked no matter what I do. The list changes frequently as I hover and my wifi polls.

Last edited:
Not true, I have them all turned off on all of my Windows 10 systems and I can see and connect to any available SSID.
YOU ARE NOT ALONE..... ITS SO FLIPPPING ANNOYING I FEEL LIKE EVERYONE IS UP IN MY COMPUTER AND UNCHECKING ONLY MAKES THEM AUTO RECHECKING OVER AND OVER THRU MONTHS AND EVEN YEARS

Back