Windows 7 How do I remove a drive label from an HDD?

shabakthanai

resolved & thanks! can't find a method of showing problem solved in subject line

I set up a new TB 6GBs HDD to hold and play games. When naming the partition, I used the Letter "G", which seemed appropriate for games.

The Windows operating system apparently didn't like this and added F:\ to the drive. Now when I open 'computer', the name for the HDD appears as (G:\)(F:\). I don't mind one or the other, but both is a bit irritating and unprofessional in appearance. Since G:\ is a Label, and F:\ is a drive assignment, I suppose I would like it to just appear and F:\.

Is there a way to remove the 'G:\' or 'Label', without changing or affecting the information now contained in the drive? Thanks!:redface:

Last edited:
Re: How do I remove a drive label from an HDD?

Hi

In Windows Explorer right click on the drive and select Rename.

You can name the drive Games, my D:\ drive is called Games.

I have 2 hard drives divided into 4 partitions.

My E:\ drive is named Graphics and Video and my F:\ drive is named Data Storage and Software.

My C:\ drive is just called Windows.

Drives.JPG

Mike

Last edited:

Hi

In Windows Explorer right click on the drive and select Rename.

You can name the drive Games, my D:\ drive is called Games.

I have 2 hard drives divided into 4 partitions.

My E:\ drive is named Graphics and Video and my F:\ drive is named Data Storage and Software.

My C:\ drive is just called Windows.

View attachment 23168

Mike
You know how people who don't like elevators because of the close in feeling and therefore walk up stairs. I am kind of like that with this problem. I realize it shouldn't bother me, but, truth is, it bothers me a lot. Nevertheless, when you said you label your drives, I thought about that and realized it is fine if I rename the (G:) Games, and instead of Windows, I renamed the (C:) drive, Operating System, and the DVD RW named for the (D:) is compatible with that type of thinking and fine with me, psychologically speaking. Thanks. I suppose this sounds pretty trivial to you and probably most who view this, but for those of us who are disciplined by phobic reactions, it is very important. There was a time when I had to put all the labels forward on canned goods; lol the cure was to stop eating canned goods. I do not purchase canned food anymore except in rare circumstances, but when I do, they are label forward in the cupboard. I usually hate to talk about this kind of thing; I feel so foolish, but I can't tell you how much it would bother me if I didn't yield to the phobias. Anyway, thanks friend, you helped me solve a rather serious problem.:)

I too install Video games on my G drive.:)

To just change the Drive's assigned Letter:

1. Open the "Disk Management" utility. (See the "To access" part of: How to Manage Your Disks using the Disk Management Utility.)

2. Right click on the Drive you want to change.

3. Select "Change Drive Letter Path and Paths".

4. Click on the "Change" button.

5. Click on the Drop-down Menu and select "G".

As for the Name to call it:

I've always preferred referencing the size of a drive. And then Manufacture's name. For example, if it was a 6 TB Seagate. I'd call it:

"6.0_SEA_D1_P1".

If a Western Digital (WD Corporation) I'd call it:

"6.0_WDC_D1_P1".

But that's just me. Call it watever u like.

GL:smile:

Last edited:

I too install Video games on my G drive.:)

To just change the Drive's assigned Letter:

1. Open the "Disk Management" utility. (See the "To access" part of: How to Manage Your Disks using the Disk Management Utility.)

2. Right click on the Drive you want to change.

3. Select "Change Drive Letter Path and Paths".

4. Click on the "Change" button.

5. Click on the Drop-down Menu and select "G".

As for the Name to call it:

I've always preferred referencing the size of a drive. And then Manufacture's name. For example, if it was a 6 TB Seagate. I'd call it:

"6.0_SEA_D1_P1".

If a Western Digital (WD Corporation) I'd call it:

"6.0_WDC_D1_P1".

But that's just me. Call it watever u like.

GL:smile:
Thanks. Mike gave me a good solution (above). If I knew how to mark the post solved, I would have saved you a bit of time. I am sorry for taking your time and am grateful for your effort. You are terrific.:)

NP:)

i should have pointed out that Mike had given u all u needed to know as far as Naming.

but i thought that changing it from F to G was still on ur agenda. (Hint hint... switch it to G!)

c ya:)

Back
Top Bottom