Windows 7 How long a cable from Router to computer?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I was wondering if it would be practical to run a wired connection from my router to my wifes lap top in the kitchen. It's on wireless now but she never moves it from it's present location.

It is always connected at half the speed that my direct connection is and stops working occasionally, like when the cat walks across the key board, so I have to spend time figuring out what's going on and get it working agian.

It would have to go down into the basement, be run through the utility room, and then back up into the kitchen.

I'd guess the distance would be between 50 and 60 feet total.

I've never looked into how you get a cable the long either, can you buy the cable plus connectors and make your own" like you would with a TV cable?

Then she could still connect wireless if she decided to move around the house with it.

Mike

Mike:
Cat5 cable = 100 meters. No problem with the run length you're talking about.
And yes you can buy bulk cable, ends and a crimping tool and do it yourself, not very difficult. But for a one time shot you may be better off finding someone who is already setup to do it for you

Capture.JPGProbably easier and cheaper to buy as just a one-off - the crimping tool costs a few quid. If you do buy one you want a "straight through" cable. But if you want to do your own each end of the cable wants to have the eight wires arranged as in the attached graphic before insertion into the rj45 connector and crimping.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the information.

I'll check with my nephew, who is an electrician maybe he will have the stuff to do this.
He runs a crew that wires new commercial buildings, hospitals etc., I never thought about it but they probably run wiring for computers along with phones electricity and every thing else these days.

Mike

What do I call this if I am looking for a place to buy it online?
I don't know the real name of the type of cable that is used between a Router and a Computer.

Last edited:
It's just a straight through cat 5 ethernet cable. (They have rj45 connectors on each end but that goes by default). If you were joining two pc's directly then you would have a crossover cable.

Link Removed - Invalid URL
should be enough to get you going for an end to end connection, but if you want to fancy it up a bit, you'll need keystone jacks and a wall plate to make it look better.

Or maybe easiest to just go to ebay for ready made:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

If you are going to make your own, then you should probably beg, borrow, steal or buy one of these Link Removed - Invalid URL because the chance of you getting both ends right on the first try is pretty slim. Also if you purchase a pre-made cable with ends already in place and you need to fish it through some tight spots the ends may cause an issue.

Or get a tester and crimping tool together for less than £10 from ebay (I've bought them - they do a good job):

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Just use a ready made cable with the connectors on both ends, there is no need to waste your money on a crimper, cable tester, etc. Heck, by the time you've done that you could have hired someone to do it. Cable will run less than $15.00 with shipping from Newegg. Use Cat 6 cable.

BYTECC C6EB-50Y 50 ft. Cat 6 Yellow

Plus there is probably a large chain computer store near where you can find similar pricing.

Electricians usually don't do that sort of work, it is a different specialty from what they do. Usually companies that do telephone and cable installs will do the network wiring too.

Just do it yourself. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy! Believe me it is VERY easy. If you have extra cable, just leave it hidden in the wall or attic.

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Thanks for the info, I measured and it will take about 60 feet maybe a little more, so I think I will just buy a 100 footer and coil up the extra length.

Mike

Back