Windows 7 how to change home group name?

I dont want to configure a network, just change the name of home group (home network) on my computer display. see screenshot.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    137.4 KB · Views: 8,058
Open network and sharing center, click on the little house icon on the left next to the words Home Network and default. In the resultant box you should be able to change the word default to whatever you would like it to say

You'll need to go to your routers settings and configure a network name
Coudl you post the make and model of your router please ? :)

Open network and sharing center, click on the little house icon on the left next to the words Home Network and default. In the resultant box you should be able to change the word default to whatever you would like it to say

Thank you for the tip. I was searching everywhere, and the solution was simple.

I have the same issue but I'm not sure how to set my default name back to the way it was on the other computer i'm trying to connect to so i can start printing again before my laptop started acting funny please help me I also had all the steps to the home group setup but I might have lost them.

Last edited:
If you have the same issue, then have you tried the solution above. Regarding home group issues, Cybercore posted a couple helpful links and you may want to try the built in troubleshooter.
Click start orb then control panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. In the left pane, click View all, and then click HomeGroup.* Follow through with the steps and see if that helps.
Regarding changing your computer name or your workgroup name click start orb, the right click computer and choose properties. Near the center on the right of the resultant window, you should see a link that says "Change settings", click it, then click the change button in the System Properties dialog box, from there you will be able to change your computer name and your workgroup name as you wish.
Renaming a network connection you should type, ncpa.cpl into the search box and hit enter, in the resultant window you can select then right click on the connections that you wish to rename and choose rename. This doesn't have any impact on your ability to network it's just for aesthetics, some people like to name there connections wired or wireless, I like to name mine with the actual IP address that I've statically assigned it.
Renaming a network is explained above, just click the icon next to the the current name and type whatever you want.

I solved my own problem lol i just deleted both homegroups and started over but now when i try to print it says the printer is offline also i don't see the network i'm connected to I'm not sure whats going on.

I solved my own problem lol i just deleted both homegroups and started over but now when i try to print it says the printer is offline also i don't see the network i'm connected to I'm not sure whats going on.
It may be that you will have to re-share the printer, if the share was established before you re-did your homegroup, then you will need to remove it from the client's devices and printers folder and then add it again.
When you use a term like "see" it's difficult for us to imagine exactly what you are referring to. So perhaps if you provide an image of a screen shot using the snipping tool and add some notations to the image using something like paint or paint dot net, we could appreciate better what it is that you are not seeing.
To see, other computers on your network you need
a common workgroup name
a unique computer name (hostname), ipaddress, and mac address for each computer on the segment.
you need to turn on NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the properties of IPv4 in the properties of your network card
you need to turn on network discovery as well as file and printer sharing in the network and sharing center.
Sometime it helps to start the TCP/NetBIOS helper service in the services console, type services.msc into the search box and hit enter scroll down and double click it, you can start it manually and or set the startup type to automatic. While you are there check the SSDP Discovery service and make sure that it is started. As well as
Network Connections
Network List Service
Network Location Awareness
Network Store Interface Service
Computer Browser Service
Workstation
Server
EDIT: And also remember to actually share something on the computers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom