Windows 10 How to get application to work in Windows 10

Hello,

I recently purchased a new desktop PC and a retail license of Windows 10. I have an application that worked on my old Windows 7 desktop, but is not working on my new Windows 10 desktop. This application is very important to and need to continue to use it. Note, this application was developed by Klark Teknik back in 2006 and since this audio device is now discontinued, the software application will not be updated.

Note, this application is used to communicate with external audio devices via a serial to USB connection. The application can send or retrieve information to and from the audio devices.

At the time of release, this application requires Net Framework 1.1 before you can install the application. For example, on Windows 7 I would simply install Net Framework 1.1, then Elgar 2.6 and then DN9848 RCS 4.0 and everything worked fine. I have done this many times on Windows 7 in this exact sequence without ever having any issues.

Now, I am able to install Net Framework 1.1, Elgar 2.6 and DN9848 RCS 4.0 successfully on Windows 10. However, when I go to open Elgar 2.6 I get the process performance counter error. (Screen shot below)

After adding the following registry key and uninstalling Net Framework 1.1, I was able to open Elgar 2.6.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\policy\v1.1

However, now I am unable to add a device inside Elgar 2.6 and not sure what to do. Attached are the two applications. Well, the main application (Elgar 2.6) and the add on tool DN9848 RCS 4.0. After you have installed both applications and you are able to open Elgar 2.6, then you must be able to add a device. (screen shot below)

As of now, I am able to open Elgar 2.6 but unable to add a device. In reality, if I can't add a device, I can't use the application. Also, for some reason when I open the Elgar 2.6 is does not display full screen, the taskbar remains visible. If anyone can get this application to work in Windows 10, please let me know and thanks.

Here are the screen shots and applications,

Attachments

• Process Performance Counter Error.jpg
    Process Performance Counter Error.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Can't Add Device.jpg
    Can't Add Device.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Elgar 2.6.zip
    8.2 MB · Views: 158
Have you contacted the developer yet? I would start there. The fact that they haven't updated the program for Windows 10 suggests they may have quit updating altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps, I wasn't clear above. Yes, I contacted the developer and like I said, the application will not be updated. I am trying to get the application to work as is, on Windows 10.

The next step is to ask the Microsoft Community.

I hope you get a solution, either here or from them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If all else fails and it works on seven, you could run 7 in a virtual machine, using something like Oracle VBox.
If you still have your 7 disk it should work fine if not I'm sure you could find a copy for a reasonable price since it will drop off of support in April 2020.
Without support from the developer not many option are available.

Virtualization was my first suggestion however now that I know more details you would have to have VM software and supported hardware that would let you seamlessly pass through the USB controller I believe for that audio equipment to be happy. I would be willing to help you via Discord (we currently have a server in beta testing phase) Link to join server: Join the WindowsForum.com Discord Server! We would then publish our findings and fix to the forum so it might benefit future users.

A very common issue with applications not developed for Windows 10 are access denied issues. The most common way to address that is to right click the application and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility" generally the recommended settings should be sufficient if not a procmon dump of the application in use would be very useful in locating the issue.

Right now, I am trying to resolve the issue will Microsoft. However, I would be interested using "Discord" if Microsoft doesn't come up with a solution. Are you saying that a Windows 10 host OS and Windows 7 guest OS (Virtual Machine) would not even be an option for this application due to the USB connection?

I believe you would have to use some better emulation software than the normal freebies which are Virtual Box and Hyper-V. As @Neemobeer mentioned most issues are permission related, and sometimes simple registry keys that do not exist in Windows 10 that 7 had that simply aren't there and are being checked against. Using software like Process Monitor to monitor the program to see what it's attempting to do, and what permission denied issues you are getting can be helpful.

I got the application to work in Windows 10 simply by reinstalling Windows 10. After I reinstalled Windows 10, I just installed NF 1.1 and the two apps. I guess something was wrong with the original installation of Windows 10 from the PC manufacturer.

I have to say that I disappointed that no one on this forum even attempted to install NF 1.1 and the applications on Windows 10. By doing so, this issue would have been resolved a long time ago.

As I stated in a different thread you do not need nor should you install .Net 1.1. It is not supported and .Net 2.0 is 100% compatible with .Net 1.1 apps. The only thing needed was the v1.1 key because the application used that as a check to verify 1.1 is there (again not needed because of .Net 2 backwards compatibly).

I did install the applications by simply adding the key I mentioned. PS we volunteer our time as we are able so bad mouthing us is pretty silly. If you want dedicated support for something I would say you'd be better off paying for support through Microsoft. I would also suggest not making changes if you don't understand what your doing (especially to the registry) as it can cause side effects which are nearly impossible to diagnose over a forum where we are providing best guesstimations based on the assumption of a system that isn't misconfigured.

Back