Windows 8 How to know which partition is Ubuntu installed on?

Alaa

I asked this question here and i was suggested to ask on a windows forum.
I want to uninstall Ubuntu, so i need to delete its partition.
Here's a screenshot of Disk Management in Windows:

Untitled_zpsb0dcd606.png

So can you tell me please which are the Ubuntu partitions?

edit:
They answered me that the Ubuntu partitions are 5,6,7.
Can anybody here tell me what are the other partitions though? (2,3,8,10)

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi

According to the screen shot all of the partitions from the top down to the just above the last two are empty unless it doesn't register the contents because they were created in Ubuntu?

Maybe someone here can tell us why they don't show any contents, even the EFI and OEM partitions?

For now I'd leave these 2 partitions alone anyway.

I'm assuming that the drive C:\ is the drive that Windows is installed on.

My Ubuntu drive (a USB drive) shows contents in Windows Disk Manager, and has a drive letter not sure why yours doesn't.

How about opening Ubuntu and writing down the size of the drives you see there and comparing them with the size of the drives in Disk Manager.

I.e. if you find that one of the Ubuntu drives is 500 Mb then it's probably the drive you see in Disk Manager that's 500 Mb.

You can also check to see if it has contents, that don't register in Windows.

It might be a good idea to make an image backup of your Windows drive before you do anything, just in case things go wrong.

I use Paragon Backup and Recovery and EaseUS Todo backup, both are free.

Mike

Last edited:
Here are screenshots of the partitions in Ubunto:

3Ebto.png

gRQOU.png

I posted those in askubuntu.com, and similar to the method you've taken (comparing partitions sizes) people concluded the 5th, 6th, and 7th (in my numbering from left to right in Windows Disk Management picture) are the Ubuntu's partitions. Then i deleted them.

Indeed, the C:\ drive is the drive Windows is installed on.
E:\ is just another partition (originally there was only C:\ and i divided it into 2 partitions - C and E)

Last edited:
Hi

Maybe this will help, I'm not familiar with the way that Ubuntu displays the drives...
But here are your 2 disk managers side by side in a similar format with my best guess.

DisksSidebySidecopy_zpsf0e65d59.jpg

Maybe someone here who is familiar with Ubuntu can look at this and tell which disks coincide.
The color blocks are my guess, but there seem to be 10 partitions in the Windows window, and 9 in the Ubuntu one.

I don't know what the "alaa@inspiron-3521:-$" notation means beyond it being the ID for your computer.

I really thought that at least as far as partition size they would display approximately the same.

I'm guessing it's safe to delete the ones in the blue block.

I would wait to do the one listed as "Recovery Partition until you have removed the others and made sure that the recovery partition is really empty.

It should have the files to restore your computer, but if they have been deleted then you could remove it as well.

Mike

It looks like you have a Dell system. But one thing to look for is an NTFS or ext4 and Swap File partition.

For instance, in your GParted partition graphic, the first 5 partitions and the last 12.45 PBR partition are from the Windows 8 install.

The 350 MB partition was placed there during the Windows 8 to 8.1 update, so it is Windows also.

I would say SDA 9,10, and 11 are the Linux install. the 1 MB unallocated partition may be the MBR Ubuntu will add to a GPT configured drive if you install Ubuntu in the Legacy configuration as opposed to UEFI.

So Sda 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 are the Windows installs. Sda 9,10,11 are the Ubuntu install. Very convenient the way the new partitions have the higher partition numbers.

As it indicates, it is a Dell Inspiron 3521.
The standard pattern would be:

The 500MB - EFI System Partition Is essential for windows to boot to GPT on a UEFI system.
The 40MB - OEM Partition is the diagnostic partition for running preboot diagnostics
The second 5oomb is the - Recovery Partitionwhich allows you to boot to the factory restore
Not sure of the 350mb. I would say it is the Windows recovery partition.
The 12.73 Mb Recovery Partition is your factory recovery image
[C) would, of course, be your Windows OS partition
E: as you have explained, is your second partitioned HD
That leaves three unaccounted for, which may be your Linux partitions??

Last edited:
Back