Windows 7 How to properly setup VPN in Windows 7

websolutions

I need to setup a VPN with two Windows 7 computers to enable file sharing so that I can ideally map a network drive to the server from the client. I’ve got it to the point where the VPN connects but when I try to ping between any of the computers on the two networks it doesn’t go.

My client ipconfig shows:

PPP adapter VPN Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.12
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6042:d229:9c0f:cbeb%13
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.11
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

My server ipconfig shows:

PPP adapter RAS (Dial In) Interface:
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f021:73a5:31c5:7ca%24
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.7
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a02e:6324:46bf:73c8%10
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.9
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

When I’m on the client, if I try and ping the server at 192.168.1.9, it doesn’t resolve. How to I make this connection?

Well, I will playing with this type of setup later today, but for now, can you supply some configuration info on the system?

Are you going through any VPN enabled devices? Is the VPN server on a computer in another location, or in your local area?

Are you using VPN software, or the Windows 7 mini VPN server?

I am just learning how to set this up, so more info about your exact situation would be helpful.

One thing I noticed, the VPN setup did say the name of the computer was necessary for an inbound connection using Windows 7 only.

Well, I will playing with this type of setup later today, but for now, can you supply some configuration info on the system?

What specifically?

Are you going through any VPN enabled devices? Is the VPN server on a computer in another location, or in your local area?

Site A - client computer, connected through router to WWW

Site B - server computer, connected through router (VPN port forwarded to server machine) to WWW

Are you using VPN software, or the Windows 7 mini VPN server?

Windows 7 supplied software only

One thing I noticed, the VPN setup did say the name of the computer was necessary for an inbound connection using Windows 7 only.

Yes, because that's the computer I'm dialing in to.

I finally got the VPN to connect on my LAN. I tried some other things as far as trying to put it into another subnet, but I do not have an offsite computer to test.

Anyway, I finally entered the IP address of the computer and the Computer Name for the VPN connection and it signed on. If I left "VPN Connection" for a choice for the connection, I got the Failed to resolve error.

I wish I could help with the actual address of the VPN server computer, I assume you know about that. But any other info you might need, let me know...

Attachments

• VPN.GIF
    VPN.GIF
    54.6 KB · Views: 897
Back
Top Bottom