Windows 8 How to select Driver Updater tool?

alicehh

I find there are lots of driver updater tools available now, but how to select the best one?
Yesterday, IObit Driver Booster was released, it said the easiest, one click "update" all outdated drivers.
It's free version, but I don't know whether this free software are better. thanks for your advice.

Hi,

I moved your thread to the support section as the one you posted in is for News.

To be honest your far better off finding out which drivers you need and then monitoring them yourself. Even Windows update will at times present old versions of drivers and it's for this reason most enthusiast users will have the settings not at automatic but 'check for updates but ask me whether to download and install them'. Sure it's a little more work but on the plus side you get to know your system better and will be aware of possible issues far quicker than if everything is done automatically for you.
So can I recommend a driver update utility for you? Yes, you! :)

If you'd like some help on tracking down on what drivers you need and where to get them from then post your system details, make and model or if you built the system your self, list the components.

Kemical is right, even the paid programs are terrible, often misidentifying hardware or installing ones that are incompatible for your specific setup.

Fully endorse what Kemical says. Automatic driver updating and al these update wizards cause far more work and problems than they save. I always identify the hardware and visit the manufacturer's websites to manually check for updates, manually download them and manually install them.

you may find its special features by going through multiple reviews about the newly launched product right over the web.. the best way to simplify your query..

Don't use those driver update things. So asking for a "good one" is a moot point. You do not need some 3rd party utility telling you that you have a million drivers that need updating.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg

is the web option is not helpful in findings of the same you are looking for .. just in case if you are in hurry and wish to get it quick ..

But if don't use a tool, I don't know how to get the drivers update, and the process is very complicated. thanks for your message dear Mitchell.

But if don't use a tool, I don't know how to get the drivers update, and the process is very complicated. thanks for your message dear Mitchell.

As i said in my original post. Post the details of your machine, make and model and I'll point you in the right direction.

1. Via Windows Update
2. Via Device Manager
3. Via the manufacturers web site for the particular component of concern.

Cheers,
Drew

As I mentioned before, DO NOT rely on Windows updates for drivers. On occasion it does have a habit of supplying old drivers.

As I mentioned before, DO NOT rely on Windows updates for drivers. On occasion it does have a habit of supplying old drivers.

I think the way it works is manufacturers only submit drivers that contain crucial fixes or something like that. I don't think I've ever got the latest version of a driver via Windows Update. I might have to look into this a bit more. :confused:

Normally, I update old drivers manually from "Computer=>Manager=>Device Manager" (I have upgraded my System from XP to Win7). I tried Driver Booster that you mentioned, it seems worked. So I guess, it will be useful for XP system.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom