How to set my HDD's property

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help and Support' started by madprofessorus, Jan 14, 2014.

1. madprofessorus

madprofessorus Well-Known Member

Hello to all,I have a PC with 3 disks, all sata,I had installed w7 on a 640gb disk, on a 250gb I have w8,and lately I installed again w7
    on a 80gb disk so to use the big disk for saving files. the problem is that the 640 disk has kept some boot info and I can only go to w8 if I boot the PC from this disk, if I boot the PC from the 250 it gets me again to w7.plus that in w8 I can't see the big disk, I try reinstall it with no success. so what can I do to have my w8 see all disks and erase the boot info on the 640 disk?

Sent from my Xperia Tipo using Tapatalk

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

When you install an OS on a separate HDD make sure that the other HDD's are unplugged. This will avoid the boot info being installed on the C drive, which is what it does by default. Then to access the other OS's, a restart and then tapping the F12 key will bring up the boot menu and just pick your OS you want to run.

3. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Could you attach a picture of your Disk Management window showing the graphical representation of the drives. It might be help to see your actual configuration.

But you are probably correct in that a Legacy install will put the boot files on the primary hard drive, and not necessarily on the drive you use to install the OS.

4. madprofessorus

madprofessorus Well-Known Member

I see, the weird thing is that when I enter W8 although the 640GB disk is shown on the device manager, I can't access it on the windows explorer, that's my main problem. Can I do something for it?

Sent from my Xperia Tipo using Tapatalk