Windows 7 How to start a System Restore in Safe Mode with a Command Prompt

MrAnon

Ok, so I've searched and searched and cannot find the "code" to enter into a Command line in order to start a System Restore. I am running Windows 7, and I have found the How-to for an XP user... Don't link me that How-to, because it doesn't work. But I do appreciate any help. Thank you.

Nevermind. When I attempted to enter "%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" it wouldn't work. but messing around with is, I was able to find that just entering "rstrui.exe" worked just fine. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Did you not get the Windows 7 repair options when you hit F8? Do you not have an Install DVD or a Rescue CD?

After I found an answer to your question I saw you already found the answer, but I thought I would show what I found for other people! You can start System Restore from a command prompt window if you can't start your computer in any mode other than safe mode with command prompt.

• Start your computer in safe mode with command prompt. For more information, see Start your computer in safe mode.
  • At the command prompt, type rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER. Link Removed due to 404 Error If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team

@ Satlgrass:
My problem was within my BIOS. I couldn't get past the "Starting Windows" screen, enter Safe Mode, or the option you mentioned. Only could enter Safe Mode with Command Prompt, thanks to an overclocking program. But thank you for the advice anyhow :)

@BrettM:
Thank you, hope it helps others in the future as well :D

By the way, the reason it didn't work is because you had the wrong path. This is the correct path and works by typing:
%systemroot%\system32\rstrui.exe

But of course it's shorter just to type rstrui.exe

Back