Windows 7 How to unpack Native drivers from old ASUS disk for W7 Install

jimc52

Hello everyone.

I have an older self-build computer which is several years old. It has an ASUS P5Q Pro mobo and an old Intel Q9400 processor. I originally had WinXP Pro installed on this computer. I went out and bought an OEM copy of W7 Pro and installed it. So I had installed an OEM version of W7 on a computer which had WinXP on it. Finally, the hard disk gave out. I still have my original ASUS mobo disk with all the drivers and I also downloaded the latest drivers, which are Win7 compatible for AHCI, SATA, etc.

When I put the original ASUS disk into another W7 computer I have, it pops up and says, that the disk does not support the current operating system (W7) on my other computer. I can use Windows Explorer to see all the files, but ASUS has compacted the drivers into their start-up/install program. I cannot seem to figure out how to just get the darn native drivers off this disk.

Like I said, I downloaded the latest native drivers for the mobo from ASUS and I unpacked each file. I burned the unpacked files to a CD. When I attempt to install the SATA drivers on this burn disk when Windows 7 installer asks me for it, it cannot find any drivers! Somehow, even the drivers from ASUS download are packed (I guess!). I don't know how to just get the drivers unmasked so that W7 installer sees them. I just simply need to have the ASUS drivers themselves burned to a CD so I can proceed with install. I can't figure out what to do with this!

I tried finding out on the ASUS Forums site, but its like they aren't functioning, cannot get any help from them, so I need someone who is an expert to help me figure out how to unpack the ASUS drivers and get Win7 installer to recognize and see them.

Thanks for helping me!

Back