Windows 7 How would you rate Windows 7

For those that desire XP just Purchase W7 Pro and above and you can run XP to your hearts content, as a virtual machine. Time moves on we all must learn to adapt that is the way of nature.

The future is largely indeterminate, although David Bohm, the late physicist posited in "Wholeness and the Implicate Order" that while universal content is largely based on previous forms, there is nothing to prevent the spontaneous appearance of entirely new forms unrelated to previous content. While the uncertainty of quantum mechanics may play a part, we are not talking about the way of the future in Microsoft Software. What we are talking about is continuity of symmetry in human/machine interactions. Microsoft, because of its monopoly position is essentially dictating the future of these interactions according to its corporate goals, largely to protect its dominate market position. This is not population based evolution in response to environmental factors and competition, it is marketplace coercion. The future therefor is dictated by Microsoft in the absence of an viable marketplace competitor, with apologies to Apple and Linux. Thus, we find that those who declare Windows 7 to be a natural advancement toward the future, are using a faulty argument. It is merely another product.

Great OS

I really like Windows 7 What I like most about 7 is how fast it starts up, about 20 seconds, and its very stable, runs all day long with no need to restart.:)

Isn't it a terrible shame, tho, that you have do do all the searching for configuration settings, third party apps, etc to make of Windows 7 what Microsoft should have made optional to start with? I still cannot arrange my Windows Explorer folder icons in the order of my preference as I can do in XP. I also still cannot delete/disable the multi-user Windows Explorer folders either (Users, All users, Default user, Public, Guest user, etc., etc.).
Absolutely spot on. I love windows 7 but hate it with a passion when it comes to the GUI. The win 7 GUI is horrid to say the least. I know where I keep my stuff; I do not need to search and click to death my mouse just to navigate. Drop down menus is a more efficient way to find something. I installed the free classical menu application and installed office 2003. Anything beyond that and I am lost. :(

The future is largely indeterminate, although David Bohm, the late physicist posited in "Wholeness and the Implicate Order" that while universal content is largely based on previous forms, there is nothing to prevent the spontaneous appearance of entirely new forms unrelated to previous content. While the uncertainty of quantum mechanics may play a part, we are not talking about the way of the future in Microsoft Software. What we are talking about is continuity of symmetry in human/machine interactions. Microsoft, because of its monopoly position is essentially dictating the future of these interactions according to its corporate goals, largely to protect its dominate market position. This is not population based evolution in response to environmental factors and competition, it is marketplace coercion. The future therefor is dictated by Microsoft in the absence of an viable marketplace competitor, with apologies to Apple and Linux. Thus, we find that those who declare Windows 7 to be a natural advancement toward the future, are using a faulty argument. It is merely another product.
And to add; One that was made different just to disassociate it from the failed Vista! This reminds me of the new packaging that looks good but is almost impossible to open. Try removing the packaging of a dvd! I always end up using my teeth! New does not mean better. I can just see it: "The all new Quadro with the revolutionary SWS system (SQUARE Wheel system); Now your car can climb stairs"!:tongue::tongue:

why we rating win7 folkszz its awesome.. going niceeeee lolzzzzz
Because that is how we force companies to improve their products. Win 7 is very good but with one serious flaw: Its GUI is designed for console kids who just want to play games. Anyone who knows where his files are and needs to keeps things tidy and placed in a logical way is going to be very disappointed. At the least Microsoft could have given us a choice. If I wanted a Mac I would have bought a Mac. Microsoft has gone out of its way to mimic the Mac os. The GUI on its Win7 and new range of Office and Internet Explorer is horrid. Everything is hidden. That is why I use Office 2003 and Firefox.

Otherwise it is rock solid and fast.

Because that is how we force companies to improve their products. Win 7 is very good but with one serious flaw: Its GUI is designed for console kids who just want to play games. Anyone who knows where his files are and needs to keeps things tidy and placed in a logical way is going to be very disappointed. At the least Microsoft could have given us a choice. If I wanted a Mac I would have bought a Mac. Microsoft has gone out of its way to mimic the Mac os. The GUI on its Win7 and new range of Office and Internet Explorer is horrid. Everything is hidden. That is why I use Office 2003 and Firefox.

Otherwise it is rock solid and fast.

What do you mean by hidden? I think the GUI is very similar to Vista it is easy to find what you need.

Perhaps not hidden, but in TOTALLY illogical locations.

What do you mean by hidden? I think the GUI is very similar to Vista it is easy to find what you need.

Kripto, you are correct that Windows 7 GUI (aka Windows Explorer) is very similar to Vista. Much, much, much too much like Vista. If you work by memory only, you have no problem; you can remember that "this is here and that is there". If you are an intuitive thinker who expects things to be grouped and arranged logically such that one step intuitively leads to the next, Vista Windows Explorer is nothing more than a train wreck and Windows 7 is the second train that just plowed into the first one. Libraries, for instance, was supposed to fix the train wreck that was Vista Windows Explorer, but it only added to the disorganization. Windows Explorer Favorites (now don't confuse this with Internet Explorer Favorites - that everybody else calls Bookmarks) helps find files or folders, but only further confuses the disorganization when you wish to save a file or create a new folder.

If one does not know the file name and general location in Windows Explorer, search is totally worthless.

All these things is why someone would say, "Everything is Hidden". In effect, everything is hidden unless you know where everything is hidden.

Kripto, you are correct that Windows 7 GUI (aka Windows Explorer) is very similar to Vista. Much, much, much too much like Vista. If you work by memory only, you have no problem; you can remember that "this is here and that is there". If you are an intuitive thinker who expects things to be grouped and arranged logically such that one step intuitively leads to the next, Vista Windows Explorer is nothing more than a train wreck and Windows 7 is the second train that just plowed into the first one. Libraries, for instance, was supposed to fix the train wreck that was Vista Windows Explorer, but it only added to the disorganization. Windows Explorer Favorites (now don't confuse this with Internet Explorer Favorites - that everybody else calls Bookmarks) helps find files or folders, but only further confuses the disorganization when you wish to save a file or create a new folder.

If one does not know the file name and general location in Windows Explorer, search is totally worthless.

All these things is why someone would say, "Everything is Hidden". In effect, everything is hidden unless you know where everything is hidden.
Yes that is exactly what I mean. The same goes for all the new MS software like OFFICE. Why did they get rid of drop down menus? If I do not remember the specific name or number of a file I cannot even search for it! With XP set at classic menus; I could arrange the files the way that suited me. Now I have very little control and the damn mouse clicking is driving me crazy. 3 months now and I still cannot get a grip of the damn thing. I threw away OFFICE 2008 and reinstalled OFFICE 2003. At least I can find the print button with ease.

Win 7 is amazingly powerful and stable but it reminds me of the expensive game consoles; great for games but little else. I run 3d design software and have a lot of files that are arranged in the order I want. Sometimes I think of installing XP for the serious work and keep Win 7 for BF Bad company 2!

If MS had given us the choice of classic menus and drop down menus as they did with XP then win 7 would have been PERFECT! As is I give it 50/50:(

As always trying to talk to MS is like knocking on a deaf man's door. :mad:

i didnt tried that did you tried that kan you tell me wat is that and howz it goin!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Hmm...well it's just the 'classic' mode. It hasn't the drop down menu's but other than that it looks similar to the xp classic although I must admit to almost having never used that setting personally.

Hmm...well it's just the 'classic' mode. It hasn't the drop down menu's but other than that it looks similar to the xp classic although I must admit to almost having never used that setting personally.
Now why did MS remove the option of actually having classic menus? Is MS so desperate as to mimic Apple to the point where a pc and a Mac are indistinguishable?

It could be that in all the months of beta testing (of which there was many) no one said too much about the lack of classic menu's?

It could be that in all the months of beta testing (of which there was many) no one said too much about the lack of classic menu's?
No cannot be true. The people who decide are the suits! They demanded a totally new OS so as to disassociate it with Vista (that had a bad reputation). It all has to do with marketing. They wanted to kill two birds with one stone, thus also made the new OS very Mac like.

Is it a coincidence that most IT managers are complaining about the new GUI? Win 7 GUI is horrid to say the least. It requires constant mouse clicking and that the User must have a very good memory!
Drop down menus worked perfectly.
Are you suggesting that cars should have square wheels so as to not need a hand brake when at rest? And such a car will be considered progress?:(

MS treats its customers the same way the Taliban treat their women: "Hide or be shot":(

Don't think so !!

A review of TechNet forums (and others forums, including this one) during the first 9 months of 2009 will clearly disprove this theory. Most polls during this time showed between 30% and 40% of Windows users prefer the full classic interface (our own poll showed roughly 1/3 of Windows 7 Forums readers preferred the classic interface - including start menu.) The really frustrating aspect of all of this is the fact that Microsoft has yet to offer their users any explanation for the need - or desire - to abandon the classic start menu. Their general attitude displayed in their own forums to this question was, "It's gone, get over it!" Well, I, and most of the rest of the 300,000,000 to 400,000,000 Windows users worldwide who prefer the classic interface, find the lemon a bit less sour if we have a legitimate reason WHY we must accept this unpleasant change rather than being shown the attitude by the almighty Microsoft that "We wanted to eliminate it and you have to accept it." Just a legitimate reason is all we were even asking for and we have never, to this day, gotten even that!

"That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it"

I think you'll find that I actually said 'It could be'.... Loosen the underwear guys, I was only offering an idea.. :)

You are correct

I think you'll find that I actually said 'It could be'.... Loosen the underwear guys, I was only offering an idea.. :)

I did read 'It could be' as you stated it. My response was intended only as further commentary, although from a different perspective, and not as a combative reply in any way. (I did call it "your theory" for this reason) I really feel that the refusal by Microsoft to explain certain actions - including elimination of portions of the classic interface - is a bigger "sin" than the elimination of the features themselves. Particularly if there is really a legitimate reason for these actions.

We supply the money to Microsoft, they should be accountable to us, not the other way around.

Windows XP is the best

For me there is no contest. Windows XP is the best operating system that Microsoft has ever written. Windows 7 is the WORST. I accept the fact that all Windows versions initially have been full of bugs but my current system running Windows XP is now ROCK SOLID. I may have problems getting older Windows or DOS programs to run, but in the end I do get them working. With Windows 7 64 bit however, not only do I have hardware that doesn’t work, but now I have programs that are NEVER going to run. I’m still encountering many “Blue Screens”, along with other bugs too numerous to count. With that said, I do expect that eventually some of these problems will be fixed. Unfortunately I DON’T expect Microsoft will ever get my older programs running.

What irritates me the most about Windows 7 is what Microsoft is forcing me to accept. It has been changed so completely that it has been rendered unusable. Toolbars that I have counted on for over a decade are now GONE. Context menus have been changed for the worse and the search capability is so broken that it is unuseable. I believe that the expectations after Vista, was so high that most people have overlooked the major flaws lurking inside Windows 7.

DON’T bother trying to convince me that a single revamped and repackaged taskbar is better than the unlimited ones that I had before Windows 7. DON’T try to sell me on the beauty of “Jump Lists”, because I built BETTER lists with my old Toolbars. It distresses me every time I hear someone praising the new Start menu or Task Bar. “I can get to what I need by only 2-3 mouse clicks,” they’ll say or, “I only need to click and then use a few hot keys to get to what I need.”

I myself run everything I use regularly, with a single click. This includes Games, Programs, Links, Documents, Accessories, everything. I have had people in this forum describe my desktop toolbars as ugly and a waste of space. I don’t care. What these people don’t realize is that there is no wasted space once I maximize a window, and as far as a beautiful desktop? Well I’ll take functionality over beauty any day. I don’t use Wallpaper on my desktop and I am still using the old screensaver clock that came from Windows 95. I have no use for anything that slows down my system and that includes the new Aero themes that everyone seems to think is so wonderful in Windows 7. Needless to say, I have found Windows 7 to be a bigger let down than Vista ever was.

I built my newest system with Windows 7 in mind. I have all the latest hardware and I jumped on the Windows 7 beta version when it came out. After struggling for over 1 month I gave up and went back to XP knowing that the real version would be more usable when it arrived. God was I wrong. After purchasing the official version I tried to force myself once again to learn to like Windows 7. I have now returned to XP for the third time and have no intentions of ever going back to Windows 7. I have also resigned myself to expect that Windows 8 and 9 will be an even bigger disappointment in the future. I have been using Windows since version 3.0 but Microsoft has finally forced my hand. I will now be looking into Apple, Linux, and all the other operating systems that are now available, or will be available soon.

Back
Top Bottom