Windows 7 How would you rate Windows 7

i took the bing challenge, and though google got 3 out of 5, bing won on my most creative search idea, both are quick and relevant, and don't beat you over the head with advertising (i know a girl who is partial to 'ninja' stuff, earlier today i searched 'ninjas in disguise' in google, turned out bing would have been a good choice) :)

my floppy works fine on 7, i stuck a new one in, (i run a Microsoft Razer Reclusa HID keyboard,) getting the chipset drivers is a good idea, one reason an oem os disc is cool, but one can download them for free, windows 7 came out with alot more driver support than xp ever had, they really put alot of effort and expense in that regard (i scoped it out) - i even got a 95 game to work fine (frogger) using compatability :)

i run around 40 third party apps and games, my computer boots in 1 minute 16 seconds because i let it load everything, i could trim a few out easily with soluto, which is excellent freeware if you want control of your boot, this is your fix, mse is made by microsoft just like your os, they work very well together, windows 7 protects system files better than xp ever dreamed of, and has much better wireless software, sounds like you need to tune up your registry to speed things up, and windows 7 start menu is easy to configure once you figure it out. I complain when i find an issue, but there are much fewer issues than xp had. Wise registry cleaner and ccleaner are two registry cleaning tools i use, and both are free. hope this helps-
I know you mean well and are sincerely trying to help and I appreciate your time but; I have used CCLeaner for many years but NEVER its registry cleaner. Registry cleaners are SNAKE OIL! NEVER USE REGISTRY CLEANERS! Only people who know nothing of PCs use them. My PC is extremely fast once the very slow boot has completed. MSE is weak at detecting infections. Why don't you run DrWEB cureit and see how well your pc is protected with MSE!

my floppy works fine on 7, i stuck a new one in, (i run a Microsoft Razer Reclusa HID keyboard,) getting the chipset drivers is a good idea, one reason an oem os disc is cool, but one can download them for free, windows 7 came out with alot more driver support than xp ever had, they really put alot of effort and expense in that regard (i scoped it out) - i even got a 95 game to work fine (frogger) using compatability :)
This is true and it is one of the many plus sides of win 7. If they had given us the classic menu option and the XP search then win 7 would indeed be a very good OS.

all search features work fine, google, bing, internal os search too, just configure the search parameters correctly, tell it where to search, use wild cards if needed, that kind of stuff. i have found that i can search much better than i could with xp, just took some getting used to. Here is the how to: Find a file or folder need to index: Improve Windows searches using the index: frequently asked questions
Sorry but Win 7 search is a joke! Unless what I am looking for is in a generic folder then most of the times it cannot find what I am searching for. Many people are having issues with Win 7 search. http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-discussion/75345-why-windows-7-search-so-bad.html

i run around 40 third party apps and games, my computer boots in 1 minute 16 seconds because i let it load everything, i could trim a few out easily with soluto, which is excellent freeware if you want control of your boot, this is your fix, mse is made by microsoft just like your os, they work very well together, windows 7 protects system files better than xp ever dreamed of, and has much better wireless software, sounds like you need to tune up your registry to speed things up, and windows 7 start menu is easy to configure once you figure it out. I complain when i find an issue, but there are much fewer issues than xp had. Wise registry cleaner and ccleaner are two registry cleaning tools i use, and both are free. hope this helps-
One minute & 16 seconds? I have a useable browser in 15 seconds on Windows 7 (& 8 RP), with none of the tools above except CCleaner.

Will have to check out that Soluto for another PC though.

Cat

I like Windows 7. Maybe even love it. :)
Win 7 and I have a steady relationship . We like each other a lot but love will take patience. I thought I really loved X.P. but we were torn asunder by Win 7 after a blissful decade. This time I will take the time to smell the roses before consecration.

I have to take back my comments on the previous page. While Windows 8 will prove to be useful for some (not my cup of tea & will leave it at that), Windows 7 will continue to by my preferred OS. For three years, it has done everything that I've needed it for. More so than Windows 2000, XP & 8 CP/RP/Enterprise.

Windows 7 is just getting into it's prime, & I see it remaining that way for years. Come 2020, MS is going to be in the mess they're in now, trying to get XP users to give it up. That may prove to be more difficult with Windows 7 users.

My advice to those who may want another computer in the future with Windows 7, would be to grab a OEM copy of Win 7 SP1 while still available, & build your own. That is, unless one is planning to buy a 7 computer soon. The reason that I say this, I see a disturbing trend in pre-built computers, already happening. CPU's are downsizing. The 2.93Ghz i5, with 2.93GHz Turbo Boost, is being lowered to as far as 1.5GHz on many new notebooks (yes, i5's are running that low!). That's too huge of a loss, especially for a higher cost.

No way am I going backwards in computing power. I plan to grab a new Windows 7 PC in the upcoming months, while there is still a decent selection with plenty of power & features.

And it won't be an HP!

Cat

Custom-built machines are always the better route than off-shelf units. Regardless of the OS or timeframe.

Fully agree, not HP or Dell for that matter, for some common & some differing reasons. I've been in the business quite a while & from the experience in the field I recommend custom-built machines but, IF pre-loaded, I have recommended against HP & Dell for years.

This applies to laptops, as well, which, of course, can't be custom-built. but, still, would recommend other brands than those 2.

Wow, Cat, you sure have changed your tune!

Myself, FWIW, I'll continue to run 7 for client support but, I'm looking forward to moving from my Win8 RP to the Win8 Pro I am being given & continue to dual-boot. Fortunately we are all free to ride our own road.

Cheers,
Drew

Yes, I have changed my tune. Windows 8 CP was actually the most functional (on my desktop) of the three versions. All of my HP hardware worked perfectly, no BSOD's, no complaints at all for three solid months.

RP began to change that, it took 4 or 5 attempts to get it to install. It would pre-load fine, but after reboot, once around the 74% complete mark, the good old BSOD would appear. Didn't matter if I installed by DVD or Flash drive (via Win 7 USB DVD download Tool), the result would be the same. The only accessories plugged in were my mouse/keyboard & internet.

Finally, it would install. This was the same with 8 Enterprise. Now, if I were to perform an upgrade, & Windows 7 was formatted due to the botched install, then what? Reinstall the backup & start over, repeatedly until complete? Screw that.

I'm sick & tired of these damn BSOD's, & I'm not going to reinstall (or recover from backup image) every week, as I'm doing now. Since I've had Windows 7, on both computers, the only BSOD's that I've had were security related, & that was nearly two years ago. Why fix what isn't broken?

As far as my notebook goes, Windows 8 (as dual boot on a SSD) actually decreases my boot times. With Windows 7 (installed alone), I have a usable browser in less than 15 seconds. Plus there are things that doesn't work properly in Windows 8 Enterprise, like Intel's Turbo Boost, as well as some of the other specialized functions of the "F" keys. I'm not giving up machine function to have the latest Windows, it's not quite 2 years old yet.

I don't care if MS gives me the damn OS, I've uninstalled it from both computers & am done with it. End of story.

Back to the thread on hand, Windows 7 is the greatest OS (from MS) that I've ran. I look for it to stay in the #1 position for many years to come.

Cat

People rave about boot time as a key issue, I just want a fast, stable operating system, a few extra seconds to boot i don't mind, when ie9 hangs or facebook crashes, i get a bit irked, both are improving. I am now trying Mcafee security suite which i got free with my new cable internet provider, glad to say that on testing it, it is performing quite well, much better than I expected, it caught a pesky bug that mse was missing, the firewall augmentation handled it nicely. Gotta give 'em credit, but the 200 retail payware price tag definitely makes mse a very good deal. (noted that Mcafee doesn't play well with malwarebytes antimalware, either) on the whole, though, windows 7 is an excellent operating system, my hat's off to Microsoft, for doing a great job on windows 7.

Maybe, I'm just unique & lucky. My installations of Win8 have gone quickly & flawlessly & I've, certainly, never had a BSOD from any of my Windows Systems including 8.

Sorry to hear of your woes, Cat.

Any occasional vid issues are gone (from Win8) since todays' upgrade of vid driver & software.

Also, I cannot fault my Win7 installation, either, over the 3 yrs I've had it. Can't recall the last time I ever had to rebuild any of my OSs going all the way back to XP.

I don't know if Operation Systems need be made into a competition of rankings for any period of time. No more than it matters what car a person drives.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, Kurt, choice between MSE & McAfee would be a no-brainer to me. For years I've had no more enthusiasm for McAfee than for Norton. Have removed both for many clients over the years & replaced w/ MSE which, does paly nicely w/ Malwarebytes.

And, yes, 7 is a fine piece of work. But, personally, I, also, after running it for 7+ months have good to say about Win8, as well. In many ways it's even better than 7, different in many way, true but, very, very nice, too.

Cheers,
Drew

as far as windows 8 goes, not in a big hurry to change into uefi/arm hardware/software changes. mcafee has had a rather checkered past, to be sure, and if one of thier software updates requires a reformat, i'll let you know lol

No need for tinkering unless you are so inclined :wink3:
01.jpg
02.jpg
8.jpg
04.jpg

Now I know that Windows 7 works nicely with McAfee Security Center. Windows 7 is a very stable and more reliable system, moreso:cool: than Vista or XP, of course.

7 always has been, stable & reliable to begin with, irrespective of any particular security program. The OS is good, some securites, well, that's another story/issue.

Kurt, hate to admit it but, can't decide what 'uefi' means but, Windows 8 does not mean a need for ARM hardware. It works well 7 nicely on multiple platforms including, good ole, existing non-ARM, non-Touch PCs & laptops. But, certainly, there is no obligation to "rush" to it. Well, except, maybe that the $40 bargain doesn't last forever. And in some ways it's even better than 7 which, yes, is good.

Cheers,
Drew
View attachment 21598

Back